1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

General feeling about the state of the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pete Chilcutt, Jan 25, 2011.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I feel ok.

I wish I could see the Young guys play a lot more. They are they only real thing to get excited about.

2. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Stop going to the Toyota Center so the management will be pressured to make the necessary changes. lol

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

My feeling about the Rox?

Feels like we are in the eye of a hurricane. Everything is dead calm but you know a huge wind is fixin to blow back over and everything is gonna scatter to the four corners.

4. RocketMania1991

I would of rather lost to the T-Wolves with our young line-up than won with our veteran one.

5. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

Dude, if you have to ask, you'll never know!

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

My general feeling is that we are a mediocur team. We are a .500 team. We lack size and toughness in the front court, we're not shooting well in the back court, and our defense is suspect all over the court. Martin and Scola are the only two who seem to play at a high level with any consistency. We need a PG we can run out there for 35-40 minutes a game. We need a SF who can score as well as defend. And we need a legitimate physical presence with size and a nasty defensive streak to hold down the 5 spot. Oh, and we need a superstar to fill the void of leader and go-to guy. We are a long way off from being a contender, but we have the complementary players to do it. We need to fill the holes on our roster, and package assets to get an all-star. Easier said than done, but that's what we'll have to do in order to truly be competitive.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Indifferent. And, as a Rocket fan for 30+ years, that makes me sad.

Like I've said many times, as soon as I saw Yao limp off the court against the lakers 2 years ago, I knew our window was officially closed. It's just hard for me to get pumped up about the team until we can somehow manage to build another foundation. Renting Melo for half a year doesn't qualify as building a foundation.

I don't know, I can't really put my finger on it. I just can't identify with the team as much as I used to. The championships seem like a lifetime ago. Different uniforms, different arena, Gene and Jim are gone, Calvin Murphy is gone...there's just nothing to hold onto anymore.

It's as if our whole team is just a bunch of stop-gap players until we figure out what we're going to do next. Scola is probably the only exception.

I even went to the NO game 2 weeks ago and had a blast (probably because of the 8 beers...), but it just wasn't the same. Something is missing. Something besides just winning.

8. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Apathy! When we win, it's aight. When we lose, kinda pissed but never surprised since it's somewhat expected. Can't wait for our new superstar closer and center.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Same way I feel about the Texans. Angered! Pissed off! Not gonna take it anymore!! :mad:

Ha kidding aside...not sure how I feel? Apathetic? I guess?

Wins, I'm not necessarily excited about them. Same way with losses --not overly mad about a loss. Much like the Texans, I'll sometimes find myself asking "How will they lose this one?". And again, much like the Texans, we know why or rather how --defense.

Unlike the Texans, we can generally feel good about who is leading us. First and foremost, Mr. Alexander and of course Daryl Morey. I know though, many fans are becoming restless, impatient, fed up, etc with him if they aren't already and I can't necessarily disagree, but hey, it is what it is for right now. Yeah, we can go back and say they're foolish for relying on Yao and getting Miller as his backup, etc but what's done is done. No going back or changing things now. Here we are today. Let's hope something gets done and a move(or two) is made come trade deadline time(or sooner).

We need a direction. Where are we headed? Well it appears if nothing changes, we know where we're headed and it's not generally where you want to be.(We very may well be headed to that land even with a trade. Might be too late by then) Anyhow, what direction are you going as a team? Are you going to make one last run(don't even know how many times we've said that over the last couple years from each of these Yao attempted comebacks), or are you going get rid of some of those veteran guys and go young? As Chris Mannix said a few weeks ago, if you're going to rebuild, you do it fully. No half-***ing it. I could not agree more.

And just coming to think of it, Clutch also brought up a good point a few weeks ago or rather the end of last year on 'No Layups' in that we were spoiled or lucky to have franchise guys these past few years. Yeah, we didnt win anything with them in the grand scheme of things but... The Rockets lack that franchise guy(Sorry Kevin and Luis). We're finding out or gonna find out at some point just how hard it is to come across those guys and/or to acquire one of them.(Although everyone is teaming up these days or wants to team up with their buddies.)

I think some above said it well: biding our time for right now. Everyone is waiting for the trade deadline to see what happens there, though again, change or trade doesnt necessarily = success. It may be too late to make a run this year. At that point, you're just playing out the season and seeing what happens, see how you finish, maybe get a look at the young guys(if you arent or havent already at that point). Next season remains uncertain but could see more of the same in the future. :eek: Let's hope not.

10. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

This current team have no future.

11. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

inconsistent on offense and consistently crappy on defense. I'll be shocked if we can get over .500. Portland, Phoenix and Memphis are all playing better than the rockets, so no way we catch 'em and make the playoff.

12. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Win or lose, playoffs or lottery, I don't care...I guess I've been a fan too long. In the end though, it's all about what is happening on the court during a game for me, in the moment kind of thing. If we're playing good ball, fine, I'm tickled pink. But these crash and burn performances at the end of quarters, halfs and games are just driving me crazy. Even with a win like last night I still kicked the dog for the way they finished the game.

So, as a loooong time fan of the Rockets and its defense, which IS our history, I'm pissed by their game.

disclaimer: no dog was really kicked or harmed in any way...but damn, she knew to get off the couch!

1 person likes this.
  13. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

I think we'll win the following games before the trade deadline:

1/26 vs LAC W
    1/27 @Dal L
    1/29 @ SA L
    2/1 @LAL L
    2/2 @ Uta L
    2/5 vs Mem W
    2/7 @ Den L
    2/8 vs Min W
    2/16 vs Phi W
    2/22 @ Det W
    2/23 @ Cle W

27-30. Then we get a real center and hopefully a solid two-way player to replace Shane or Luis in the starting lineup. Our schedule gets considerably easier by this point, so we go on an amazing run and sneak into that 8th seed. We go to war against our Texas rival spurs as the deadliest 8th seed team since Mutombo's Nuggets! :grin:

*Awaits the barrage of bashing because everyone hates optimism lol.*

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Waiting for the trades. Will soon be happier with losses than wins.

15. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

It feels alot different from the Rudy T and JVG days. The team use to play big and they had bigs like, Dream,Thorpe, Willis, Barkely, Kato, Yao, Mutombo. Rudy T had a team that was big that even gave MJ a hard time. JVG had a soft big man in Yao but also the ageless Mutumbo. I was always use to Houston being a BIG frontcourt, down low, tough defense kind of team. It would be low scoring and very few fast breaks for either team. They were the "I can't be punk'd" kind of team.

Now well, Rockets took a complete turn in direction with Coach Adelman. Youth, speed, and style of play has completely took over. They practically play small ball, light defense and concentrate on all scoring.

I will say the former Rockets era were 65% defense 35% offense teams. Now its like 15% defense and 85% offense team. Trade Chuck and Shane and this will be a -10% defese and 110% offense team.

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...like most, I'm frustrated rooting for a team that doesn't have the overwhelming talent to compete with the top tier teams but for the most part I'm optimistic we will get there sooner or later - be it with Melo or someone else.

The transaction history for the Rockets in the Morey era has been mostly solid and more importantly hasn't been hindered by losing patience and acquiring quick fixes - a strategy that has doomed lots of teams in recent memory. By being patient and growing a steady talent stream and solid basketball team from top to bottom, they are setting themselves to be a true long term contender once all those pieces fall into place. I truly believe that.

Honestly I'm a little shocked that other stars looking for a ring haven't seen this as well - this is a plug and play contender for the right star and considering this is such a hugely popular team in Asia, it all but guarantees even marginal stars get a legit chance at the all star game.

17. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Wait..people are actually going to the games?? Why does the arena look so empty on TV?? :rolleyes: lol

18. mFt82

mFt82 Member

I think chuck and shaine are the two players I don't want to see traded. Everyone else is fair game.

And on the "Yao Era": what a pathetic joke. I've been a rockets fan my whole life and always will be but that guy sucks 60% of the time. And thus the rockets have sucked (at least) 60% of the time since he's been on the squad. Balderdash.

19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...that's every NBA game but the ones the stinky Heat play in.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That would be great, sort of....8th seed or lottery which is actually best?

That is the quandry I have as a fan.

DD