1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On the anniversary of Kobe's 81, I have to ask....Kobe's 81 or Wilt's 100?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GreatOne1978, Jan 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. gambingo

gambingo Member

lol 169-147? was that a layup drills?

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It was a foul drill. The Warriors fouled the Knicks to get the ball back quickly so Wilt could try to score. The game was a joke.

3. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

What a Kobe jocker. That's not a 100 point pace, and Wilt had 69 in 3 quarters. Also, people seem to forget that Kobe's 81 point game became a sideshow in the fourth quarter as well. Wilt would have scored 85-90 if he stayed on pace, which is still more than 81. Also take away Kobe's treys and his total goes down to 74.

100 > 81.

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Kobe might be more impressive in a sense, because it is against a modern opponent (albeit one that was known for its defense or team quality).

Wilt's is still the best in the record books and greater achievement, and is the plateau that must be reached, sort of like Babe Ruth being the homerun king until Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds came trotting past it. Also take into consideration he had 25 rebounds and probably alot of blocks (wasn't statistic in those days) without a 3 point line. Point being, Wilt was doing other things, besides scoring. Also with that being said, the 100 point game may not have even been his most impressive performance. Since, he had 5 other games where his scoring ending with 70 points or more. Scoring, 78; 73 twice; 72; and 70. Let's not even get into how many times he scored over 60s. In most of the games, I mentioned he had at least 20 rebounds in nearly all of them In the game, where he scored 78 points ... he had 43 rebounds. It's weird how Chamberlain got to 100, but he did reach the mark and the other team did make a concerted effort to stop him (foul the other players).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilt_Chamberlain's_100-point_game

It's hard to say, because even playing 40 years ago. I still think if Wilt could somehow play in the modern 2010 NBA, he would be an outstanding player. Even though, he was noted for being a selfish player, his career assist numbers (in average) almost trump Kobe's and Wilt also lead the league once and was a rebounding machine, even in his twilight years with the Lakers. Blocks wasn't even a stat yet, so he could have those records, too. All while, he is probably one of the strongest players in the history of game, and most durable.

The argument people do make is you could another hall of fame center from a later era in there and the same thing would happen. Maybe. Since, they are alot of great talent at Center, though you have to look at how well-conditioned Chamberlain was as well. Never played under 42 minutes for entire season in his career. Even compared to the other great players from that era, Wilt was an iron man at 45.8 minutes a game is remarkable (in any era), even in the 70s his minutes were as high or higher than Kareem Abdul Jabbar's. I can almost say I doubt we will ever see another 36 year old player averaging 42 minutes a game in the history of the game. Most players are past their prime in their early 30s and are often splitting time with younger players on the bench (or decent backups).

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Kobe's points became a sideshow with about 5 mins left in the game. Nearly the entire 2nd half was a sideshow in Wilt's game. Did the Lakers foul early so they could get the ball back? No.

6. Steve_Francis_rules

According to the Wiki page for Wilt's 100 point game, it didn't really become a joke until the 4th quarter. Even then, while the Lakers weren't fouling so they could get the ball back, the Raptors weren't intentionally fouling everyone else on the Lakers to keep the ball out of Kobe's hands (that may have actually been a wise strategy).

I'm going to say Wilt's game was more impressive simply because he was able to knock down 28-32 at the foul line. Not bad for a career 51% shooter.

7. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

wasnt he grabbing 50 boards a number of time in that era too? it was crazy to read he scored at least 60 points, 17 times that season, nowadays if anyone gets 50 it's like OMG

8. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

well yea cause the knicks tried to foul the any warrior except wilt so he couldnt touch the ball

9. Old School Fan

Old School Fan New Member

It cracks me up how many people today try to say that Chamberlain's accomplishments are all due to him being so tall and a lack of height in the NBA in his era. What is forgotten is what a tremendous athlete he was. At Kansas he competed in track and field events and ran the 100-yard dash in 10.9 seconds, shot put 56 feet, triple jumped more than 50 feet, and won the high jump in the Big Eight track and field championships three straight years. Pretty impressive for a man 7'1" and 240 lbs at the time.

The player primarily tasked with guarding Chamberlain that game was Darrall Imhoff who is listed at 6'10" or 6'11" depending on what source you look at. All reports of the game state though that the Knicks were triple and quadruple teaming Chamberlain and fouling very hard throughout the game. Darrall Imhoff later even stated, "He literally stuffed us through the hoop with the ball. It didn't even help we quintuple-teamed him."

As for his teammates fouling to get him the ball more, that was in reaction to the Knicks fouling all of his teammates in the the last 8 minutes to prevent him from getting shots as he had passed the record then with 79 points.

A better question would be which is more impressive - Kobe's 81 points or David Thompson's 73. Thompson shot 28 of 38 for 73.7%. Kobe also made 28 but shot 46 for 60.9%. Kobe also made 7 of 13 from 3 point but the three pointer was not available to David Thompson. Kobe was 18 of 20 from FT and Thompson was 17 of 20.

Larry Brown, his coach at the time. said that at halftime, when Thompson already had 52 points on 20-of-23 shooting, his teammates wanted him to shoot constantly in the second half and try to go for 100.

Thompson didn't want to, Brown said. "He just wanted to play the game," the coach said. David Thompson was Michael Jordan's idol as a young basketball player and the man he asked to introduce him at his HoF induction.

2 people like this.
  10. Steve_Francis_rules

That's a really interesting point. I wouldn't have thought to compare Kobe's game to that game. I wonder if Thompson hit any shots that would have counted as threes in today's game. Without his threes, Kobe would have only had 74 points, third best all-time and only one point more than Thompson (and two 73-point games by Wilt).

11. StonesRunIt

StonesRunIt Member

I should have clarified. When I say that Kobe was on pace to reach 100, I wasnt doing calculations based on his points per quarter. I was saying that since in his 81 pt game he didnt have 62 until 6 min left in the game and scored 19pts in the remainder. With 62 pts and double the time remaining, it stands to reason that at that rate he could have reached 100. Especially considering he was actually shooting better in Dallas I believe.

All hypothetical, but not baseless considering, of course, he did score 81.

12. StonesRunIt

StonesRunIt Member

Actually w/o Kobe's 3's he hits 67.

13. Steve_Francis_rules

How do you figure that? Kobe his 7 three-pointers. He scored 81 points. If those shots count as regular two-pointers, he would have had 74 points. If you took away those shots altogether, he would have had 60 points. I have no idea how you came up with the number 67.

14. TheMacster

TheMacster Member

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

20,000 women > 1 rape

16. Steve_Francis_rules

Maybe we should be comparing Kobe's 81 point game to some of Wilt's other monster games then.

How about Wilt's 73 point game against the Knicks when he shot 29-43 from the field and 15-19 from the line. I can't find the number of rebounds he had in that game, but given his season average, it was probably about 25.

Or Wilt's 70 point game against the Nats, in which he attempted only 38 field goals and hit 71%.

17. Lakersuk

Lakersuk Member

Hey - McGrady scored 43 that day :p

18. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

I believe Ray Allen was in the 40's as well but it seems kinda sad that you have to put these two players performances together to get what kobe did that night lol. Every time I see a nba team score less than 81 points in a game i laugh and think about how kobe beat them himself..

I don't know much about wilt so my mind always goes to Kobes 81 first.....'most recent, most remembered' after all...

19. StonesRunIt

StonesRunIt Member

i see what you are saying, i was considering if he didnt score at all lmao. The other calculations are right.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wilt's 100 point game is legend -- Kobe's 81 pt game is something you have to be reminded of like David Robinson's 71 point game.