1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defensive Accountability?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Just wondering when someone, whether it is Rick Adelman, Kevin Martin, Scola or Brooks will be held accountable for the fact that we suck on defense? I mean, we are giving up 110+ like its nothing...

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/daryl_morey_discusses_the_stat_2010_04_15.html

Still waiting Daryl...

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Everyone.

Period.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

We have taken the Gary Kubiak/Bob McNair approach. :p "At least those kids are battlin' out there. And that's really all you can ask for. We havent quit, I can guarantee you that. It's not the effort. We have good effort. Those kids have not quit. They're battlin' their tails off. We just gotta keep battlin', keep fightin', keep pushin' through. If we do, I think good things will come our way."

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Don't worry, Brad Miller and his lock down D are almost healthy.

DD

6. mario713

mario713 Rookie

yea all our defensive problems will be solved wen miller gets back. lmao!

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Banking on Yao to anchor the defense and banking on Miller to back him up was genius.

8. mario713

mario713 Rookie

yea we should of signed the 2nd best center in the nba

9. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

I hope that was not sarcasm because he was the only defensive center the Rockets could've obtained

10. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

It's Morey first, then Martin & Scola

11. highlander3128

Hindsight is 20/20 ;)

12. Htown's2kFinest

Well he's Daryl freaking Morey right :rolleyes:

13. Danckchi

Danckchi Member

Is it coincidence that the two key players who had previously played for Rick Adelman, Kevin Martin and Brad miller, are not strong defenders?

Rockets obviously need a strong defending center. Yet they got Brad Miller, Rick Adelman favorite, who does not post up well or defend.

Are we surprised when the team does not defend well?

RA has a great coaching career but he is one dimensional. He is more focused on offense. This philosophy somehow makes this team the way it is.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

It probably starts with Rick Adelman. I honestly don't know what he has his players do in practice, its been two years already and our players:

1) don't defend well
    2) don't execute plays well

LOL does he not prepare his players at all? Sometimes it looks like everyone's still playing with each other for the first time out there.

15. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Outside of Battier and Hayes, no one can defend. Not to mention Hayes has been playing out of position for the past 2 seasons. I don't care about Carmelo Anthony, just get us a freaking center at least...

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wait, you disagree? Miller is a legitimate 7'0", and we need a center that can protect the rim.

DD

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

It is really bad when you give up 30+ points in the first three quarters. I miss defense... I wish it would come back to the Rockets.

18. Htown's2kFinest

^I think he wasn't serious...

19. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

We don't have the personnel to be a good defensive team. Kevin Martin is too weak to bump cutters or lock down an opponent. He stands straight as a pole when he's on defense. This was noticeable his first few games as a Rocket last year.

Defense isn't just hustle or something you can teach. There is a lot of skill involved. Some players have it and some don't.

T-Mac, who didn't make a single hustle play on defense, could get away with it because of his length and excellent instincts.

Rafer Alston had incredibly quick hands where he would pick a ball handler at least once a game.

I'm not holding Adelman accountable because its the players who can't play D.

20. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Teams take on the identity of their coach.