1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we depreciating our own "Assets"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMania1991, Jan 19, 2011.

?

Are we depreciating our own "Assets"

Poll closed Jan 29, 2011.
  1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    41.5%
  3. Who Knows?

35 vote(s)
    29.7%
  1. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

So the point of this thread is we should tank and play our young guys, or we want TWill, or time to bench Shane, it should we trade scola? All rolled into 1. My answer us no. You develop in practice and 1 on 1 with assistant coaches.

2. albuster

albuster Member

On the contrary, many posters in CF tend to over value the Rockets players particularly the young ones.

3. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I dont think Patrick Patterson is overrated in the least. Nor Terrence Williams. They havent gotten playing time to be overrated. Maybe underrated but not over. They said the same thing about Jordan Hill and now he is growing into a solid starter type player for another team or ours. Same thing was said about Brooks and now he is a 20 point scoring machine. Same thing with Landry and Scola. These guys are not overrated. if teams and GMs dont want them? We can certainly keep them and be alright. Its not like teams below us like the Paces can tell us who is better and who is not they want on their losing team like Sixers also. We would be the most playoff ready team by the end of the season before thes clubs we keep considering tradng with. Short of Denver that is. So obviously we have more talent with winning while not having a big center or playing defense and having injuries. Obviously more talented.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Overstocked at the same position? Yes.

5. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

If Terrence Williams had the potential to be a border-line allstar then he would be playing.

6. TheDude34

TheDude34 Member

Just like Gerald Wallace played during his second year with the Kings?

7. AggieRocketsFan

Ever think that BENCHING Twill and limiting other players minutes is actually helping their value?

Morey bought Twill while his value was at an all-time low. He needs to learn from the bench before he gets significant time on the court. Or else he will go out there and not be able to follow RA's system and then fall out of the rotation. Thus, hurting his value.

8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I think that had more to do with Peja getting the majority of minutes.

9. TheDude34

TheDude34 Member

I know. It's really not the same situation, but there are some similarities.

Like Crash, TWill is stuck behind a couple of established guys in Kev and Shane, and a couple of younger guys in Courtney and Chase who've had more time to assimilate than Terrence has.

The biggest difference? Those Kings teams were competing for championships, the Rockets aren't currently. Which makes the fact that guys like TuPat and TWill aren't any time all the more perplexing, and frustrating from a fans perspective.

10. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Think of the guys Terrence Williams and PatrickPatterson are behind? I mean come on rationally?

Scola/Chuck Hayes/Hill
    Battier/ Budinger/ Martin/ Lowry/ Lee

They are not getting playing time because they cant.

11. TheDude34

TheDude34 Member

You say that as if you've seen enough of either of them to know exactly what they're going to bring night in and night out. The simple truth is that none of us know, because unless there's been an injury, neither TuPat or Terrence have had a chance to play more than spot minutes or garbage minutes.

Are the guys ahead of them better players? At this point, sure. But then, all of those guys have a lot more experience than TuPat or TWill.

12. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

But if you don't play your young players doesn't that mean they aren't going to be traded..? :confused: we keep them on the bench so we won't increase their value, Isn't that right..?

13. IceMan

IceMan Member

I just wish Morey was as good at building a great team as he is with building a team of tradeable assets.

He's not a scout by any means, he doesn't come from a background in basketball. He's an admitted Fantasy Sports junkie whom became very good at that. he got this job after coming up with statistical data only.

So when I hear that Morey's at a game watching a player, I put as much stock in that as i would if i read that Marc Cuban was scouting a player.

I like Morey, and he's an exciting GM to have for sure, but this isn't fantasy basketball, and he's proven nothing to make me think he can put together a team that win's it all.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't get this keep-them-under-the-radar stuff. I'm sure Morey would like all 15 guys to be fairly valued or overvalued. If some team wants Patterson because he's shown his stuff on the court, that's good. If we don't want to put him in a trade, we can say no.

15. dartherus

dartherus Member

Too many assets, trade them ASAP, with less quanitity and more quality....
    No matter if no superstar comes along, but at least clearly better players....

16. Prince

Prince Member

I think we're just toooooooooooooo deeeeeeeeeeeep.