1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Advice Needed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chamillionaire, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Chamillionaire

I`m currently in the process of moving from Japan, where I have lived and worked for the past 7 years to Houston. The reason for the move is for visa reasons. I have a greencard, so I must live in america. Plus I want to go back, it`s home. Seriously.

I will have to quit my job, pack up, and go. I have a beautiful wife and daughter, both who have agreed on the move. The time is approaching, quickly. The difficult part is this. I have been teaching for the past 7 years. I don`t have a degree. If I go back this year, I will arrive unemployed, but with some savings.

I do have connections though. I have a friend, I`ve known him since high school. We hung out a lot, played football together, partied together, the whole 9 yards. he`s in the marketing business. Internet marketing to be specific. He tells me that there is an analyist position open at his company. $66,000 a year. He sends me several emails with the basics so that I can get familiar. We exchange emails for several weeks, and I get to developing my own website (on sneakers that the Rocket`s players wear). We plan to chat over Skype, but something came up and we couldn`t talk (although he tried to call me about an hour before our reserved time, but I wasn`t home).

What is up with this guy? Is he playing me?

Should I make this move even without a guaranteed job?

2. Chamillionaire

He hasn`t replied to any of my emails in over a week. He used to lie a lot when we were younger. He might fit the profile of a pathological liar.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. Chamillionaire

why? He works for Hair Club.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

He's moving to Japan, not China buddy boy.

6. Chamillionaire

i`m moving to Houston, from Japan.

7. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I wouldn't do it... That's a huge risk with minimal certainty. You have a family to worry about. If you can get some kind of confirmation from him or the hiring manager or HR, that's a different story.

8. Chamillionaire

When I get there, I think I`d be able to find something within a few months. If I don`t go back now, my greencard would be cancelled.

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Come back and go to school, get your undergrad. I am sure Fafsa will help cover some of your expenses.

10. ima_drummer2k

Oh, well that changes EVERYTHING.

He hasn't replied to any of your emails in over a week. He used to lie a lot when you were younger. He might fit the profile of a pathological liar. But he works for Hair Club!

Not trying to be mean, but......really??

11. Chamillionaire

There`s no other way. There`s no point in taking the easy route. I was hoping I could find something in the corporate world without a degree, but that`s looking harder and harder by the minute.

If I go back to school, I will have to work at the same time. This is going to be hard.

1 person likes this.
  12. Chamillionaire

No, it`s not where he works. :grin: I know for a fact that he`s got a legitimate job at a respectable company, so when he`s telling me about this new position, I believe him.

13. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Try Tutoring Japanese kids or ESL.

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I probably wouldn't make the move if you don't HAVE to.

Worst job market in 70 years...recession...tough times. There are craploads of newly minted college grads who will work for pennies who can't even get a sniff at a decent job. Not having your degree is just going to make things tougher, especially with a wife and daughter to support.

I wouldn't move until I had a job if you can somehow stay over there.

15. Chamillionaire

yeah, i thought about all that, but no. i`m trying to get out of the education industry.

16. ima_drummer2k

[​IMG]

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Absolutely! Where there's a will, there's a way.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

We can't tell you what your friend thinks. Best bet is to confront him. Find another way. Is he the only alternative here? There are lots more options, I hope. :( Good luck, sir.

And now for my "staple" and "shtick":
    [​IMG]
    THAT's WHAT SHE SAID! :grin:

19. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm going to go out on a limb and say this guy can't be trusted...but that's just me.

20. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

Any updates on the contact?

Also, where in Japan are you at? Okayama resident here. I thought I was the biggest Rockets fan on the island.