1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I hate running...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I absolutely hate running, but I think I want to try and get into it. There is a state park that has a 13 mile circular trail around it. Said state park is only about 1 mile from my house, and this is going to be my first full year being able to spend time there. That being said, I want to enjoy this state park, as I think it's beautiful. I want to reconnect with the outdoors (I'm going to start fishing again in the Spring, and possibly get into kayaking, as I think that's tons of fun)

I also need to start doing something to get back into shape. The only gyms around here cost more than I want to pay (for now), so I'm thinking I want to start running at the park. Eventually,in hopes I'll be able to jog the full way around the park.

I am a fairly big guy, at 6'2" 243 pounds. I would love to lose about 30-40 pounds over the course of this year. I don't know if it's doable, but I figure this is the start of my motivation. I'm going to start eating a little better, and running when I get the chance. I'm going to try and go every day I'm able. Hopefully, I'll remember to pull this thread up once a week and update progress. In the end, maybe I'll end up eating tons of crow, or maybe I'll end up in shape.

What kind of things will I need, besides a good pair of running shoes? Just a water bottle?

(I know there has been a Clutchfans weight loss thing in the past. That's not necessarily what I want this to be, but feel free to post updates if you are like me and trying to lose weight.)

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

you're just a little shorter and bigger than me. i'm 6'3", 230 or so. i want to lose 31 by the time my kiddo arrives in july. that's only 5 pounds a month or so. depending on how you eat (i know you don't drink), you may be able to do that with just a diet change. i've already noticed that i've lost a few, not to mention i feel tons better, since changing up my diet.

good luck, man.

3. ketchupNmustard

I am trying to lose weight as well, in august I was around 205 (im a short 5'7) and now I'm at 185-190. I run 1-2 miles everyday with a littl strength training (not more than 5 sets each exercise) I also started training bjj. I noticed when I started eating right, combined with the exercise I started losing more weight.
    Sometimes I do cheat so the weight loss hasn't been as fast as anticipated, but I do feel better.

I lost the most weight (went from 195 to 185 in about 10 days) with a diet of baked chicken, broccoli and rice. It's a boring diet, but try it and watch the pounds fly off, I'm actually back on it today.

Just don't forget to excersise, cut down on soda and beer(drinkable calories) and losing weight willbe an undaunting task.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Thanks.

For 3 or 4 years, I worked out for about 2 hours a day, 4 to 5 days a week. I was in great shape. Still hated running.

Eventually, I would like to get back into a big time lifting program and beef up. I think in the mean time, though, running and eating better to slim down will get me ready to get back to the lifting stage.

5. dmc89

dmc89 Member

A friend also hates running, so he runs with a partner who makes sure he does it every day and to make time go faster for him keeping him company.

Most importantly, his partner is his GF. She made a deal that if he can keep up with her, she'll have sex with him (in addition to their usual love life).

The man has lost ~25 lbs so far ;)

Btw, drink plenty of water throughout the day to stave off hunger pangs. Also, only have enough food on your plate to satisfy your hunger. But then take about 20% of that away so you'll always have a bit of hunger and just consume whatever fruits you want as snacks.

Once in a while, treat yourself with a meal that will sate your hunger.

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Read this book.

[​IMG]

Watch this video.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9wI-9RJi0Qo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9wI-9RJi0Qo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Read this story.

61 year old farmer wins Australian Ultra Marathon

All those things inspire me to run. I used to hate running too until I changed my perspective of it. It can be a lot of fun.

If you're into LOTR imagine being a badass warrior hunting down Orcs. Download this track to your iPod and run! Make it fun man.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uPPDoY06tEQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uPPDoY06tEQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  7. dback816

dback816 Member

If you have knee issues (assumption here) you should stick to swimming and biking instead of running.

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

You probably already know this, but I would start out very slow. Especially with your size you could get knee problems, shin splints, or any other number of ailments if you start out too fast. I've lost count of the number of friends who have wanted to get into running and then quit after a week, because their body couldn't take it.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Check your running mechanics...part of the reason why people hate running is because they're running incorrectly and it really wears you down. You feel heavier when you run and you tire more quickly. Google for some info/videos and see if you can improve it in any way.

10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

In order to avoid "runner knee" stretch and do some strength work on your legs.

Good shoes and technique as well.

11. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

For some, its probably a lot easier to eat better then it is to exercise on a regular basis. One simple rule to remember is to just cut the added sugar in your diet. With this rule you can make your diet a lot healthier without having to think about any special diets, food groups or calorie counting.

12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

the US version's pretty good too. Better beat. Skips all that 'race' stuff and 'greatest in the world' hyperbole. And easier to download to your ipod.

[​IMG]

13. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Headphones are much more important than water.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

When you're passed out in the back of an ambulance will your hearing still work? :confused:

15. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

didn't read but light walk and jump rope is better :) if you want to burning some extra meat.

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Go play pickup basketball, It's so much less boring than just plain running

It forces to run around because you can't really stop until the game is over, I got my conditioning back pretty fast playing couple weeks of pickup

And when you play, try to check the guy that runs around screens a lot so you are always moving on defence

17. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

*Get real running shoes. Good ones. I recommend Mizuno myself.
    *Start out your first few days with an 45-minute speed-walk to get yourself a little acclimated. It may bore you, but you'll work up a bit of a sweat doing it anyway. This is a great way to ease into regular aerobic exercise so you don't get discouraged when you start really running.
    *If weight loss is the goal, try religiously drinking one tall glass of skim milk each morning. It helps fill you up, so you eat less.
    *Keep in mind that you will lose the most weight and get in the best shape by continuing at a pace you're comfortable with, without stopping, for at least a half-hour straight.
    *I highly recommend a music player. Really helps keep you motivated.

...and naturally, it helps to ease up on fatty foods, sodas, and beer. But hey, one step at a time if it all seems like too much.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

13 Mile Track? Wha...what what happens if you get tired halfway through? You're DOOOMED!

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Band-aid your nipples so to prevent runner's nipple.

20. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Born to run was a great read. It also inspired me to modify my shoes. I loved running but shin/ankle pain kept me from progressing. One day I threw out the insoles that the shoe came with and to my surprise my shin splints went away! I've been using running shoes without any extra padding or insoles for the last year and I'm pain free.