1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by codell, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I would make a stink up with admin and ask for your money back. Then get other parents who also wasted their money on your side.

You might look like an overprotective parent, but if you explain yourself in a reasoned manner you might get that b*stard fired. It's not about the money. It's about the principle of getting teachers worthy of respect.

It might seem like too much trouble, but there are probably other kids who felt the same way as your son. It'd be unfortunate to see passion for basketball sucked dry so early from a camp that's meant to fire it up.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No kidding and we even use a 27.5" ball at I9........

This story just is so sad.....sounds like a coach wanted to augment his own income.....and thought he could go it alone.

DD

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Didn't read the entire story, but got the general Idea

and yeah, F the coach, your kid is still young anyways, there absolutely no need to destroy basketball interest at that age. I mean making 1,2,3 graders do push ups as punishment is plainly r****ded

IMO just let him get the general idea of basketball, it's still pretty early, let him slowly get the fundamentals down and keep up his interest in the game until he reaches 5th grade

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Holy cow. AWESOME!

They have a winter program in The Woodlands that starts in 2 weeks!!! My son is going to be thrilled! I had told him he may have to wait till next Fall to get into another league.

I promise not to photoshop you every again
    or for at least 6 months
    :)

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Don't give it a second thought; you absolutely did the right thing.

6. codell

The games were 8'6'', but what the hell good is that when they are practicing on 10'.

7. DaDakota

That is great !!!

They give out medals each week for sportsmanship, or enthusiasm, and every kid gets a trophy at the end.

Yes, they do keep score, but there is no emphasis put on winning or losing...

We play I9 flag football and basketball.....

Rec ball is great if you get the right parents and coaches with the right attitude...

DD

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Codell, your son is obviously not a quitter if he endured for so long because he was afraid that you wouldn't play anymore. I think it is just as important for us to teach our kids they need to stand up for themselves as it is to teach them not to quit because something is hard. Sounds to me like you are a great dad.

Just don't ask schools for money when he starts getting recruited to play at colleges.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The only reason you should put your kids through that is if they have the potential to become an NBA superstar. Otherwise, do not destroy their love for the game.

10. codell

Unfortunately, the admin is the coach. It is a one man show (well, 2 if you count his high school kid that tries to help him). I'm not worried about the money. The other parents seem to have no issues. Of course, they probably don't think I have any either, so who knows. I know my son is not the only kid who is struggling and not having fun.

11. DaDakota

Talk to some that have kids your son's same age, you can all be on the same team at I9.....that is what we do, we have 10 kids on our team...where others only have 7.....I kinda wish we had only 8 but they are all buddies ...so it is all good.

And, since it is only 1 night a week, and ours is tomorrow, we play the games, then all the parents and kids go to red robin for dinner and margaritas.....well, that part is for the parents...lol.

DD

12. codell

One of the other issues I had is, any time he addressed any one, including my son, would be "black shirt" or "red shirt". You know, not by name, but by the color of the shirt they wore. I finally told me son to stand up for himself and tell the coach that if he called him "black shirt" again, to tell the coach "coach, my name is Jack". Well, I didn't think he would because the coach is a bit intimidating, but last Thursday, he did just that. The coach just looked at him like was going to deck him, but ended up just moving on. I was very proud of my son and the coach started calling him Jack during the 1st game and during tonight's practice.

I felt like telling the coach, "ya know, after 13 weeks and $150, the least you could do is learn my son's name".

13. codell

He has been the HS coach for 7 years, and the HS team has one several titles, so I think he knows what he is doing when it comes to older kids. He has no clue how to teach young kids, and that was the issue here.

He actually sent the kids home last Thursday with a "playbook" (offense and defense) that he wanted them to learn. It was a joke. I think Tex Winter and Pete Caril would have been confused reading it. I ended up using it to start a fire in my fireplace the other night (seriously).

14. codell

BTW ....someone please rep Dada for me. I have to spread some around before I can rep him.

Thanks.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Sounds like you did the right thing taking him out of the league. The coach obviously is in way over his head with that many kids, and sounds like he doesn't know how to teach children anyway.

Just talk to your son, talk about sometimes things will be tough and he'll want to quit because it may seem too hard. This time wasn't quitting, your son wasn't getting proper coaching, so it wasn't good for him.

If there are no leagues now, just continue working with him as much as you can, so he'll understand more going into the next league.

You did the right thing codell, don't question yourself. Plenty of things happened to tell you, you made the right choice. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine, sounds like you're a great dad.

16. Codeo

Codeo Member

You did the right thing. The term 'quit' sounds negative, but if you're child isn't learning the BASICS of the game while improving his confidence then there is no reason for him to be there.

17. DaDakota

Codell,

No need to do that, I just wanted to help you and your son, stories like this are horrible.

BTW- I am up doing my lineup and rotation for tomorrow night's game...lol....I have 2 kids that are good dribblers and shooters, 4 that can rebound and play defense and 4 that are brand new and just learning.

I got to divide up the playing time to keep it even.....

And don't even get me strated on friends of ours that have already LOST FRIENDSHIPS over an 8 year old traveling baseball team......thank GOD, we said no to that.

Also, I agree with not calling it "Quit" just say you are transfering over to another league....and don't tell him about the money, kids at that age shouldn't be worried about stuff like that.....that is you and your wife's area....

DD

2 people like this.
  18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Duuuuuude.

Love of the game, pitiful coaches, wasted youth, apathetic adults who ruin the game for young people!

Duuuuuude.

**** that coach man. **** that coach.

Matter of fact, you should have had your boy take a piss on that coaches' clipboard on the way out.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This brings back fond memories of ClutchFans chat and you dunking on a nerf goal, codell. :grin:

20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I'm a little surprised you doubted your decision, even for a moment. It was absolutely the right call, not a doubt in my mind.

In addition, I would recommend going to whoever oversees that program and telling them about your experience. They may honestly not know what a jerk this guy's being. The more horrible a coach acts, the more parents tend to assume that another parent has tried reporting him already, so it sometimes never happens because no one takes the initiative.