1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dylan Gwinn

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LAFIRMA22, Oct 27, 2010.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I hear alot of criticism for him and guys like John Lopez/Rich Lord, the guys i can't listen to are the ones on 1560 though. They are immature especially that lance earline guy, making those stupid voice impersonations, they go off topic and talk about movies (how much longer are they going to keep talkign about the Fighter?? It's been out for a month now). 1560 should be labled more a general men's radio staion, no specific to sports.

I like Charlie on 790 because he's all about sports and that's it. Insiteful and doesn't waist time inpersonating people, trying to be funny or talking about unrelated stuff.

2. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

how old is Josh Innes by the way? Like 24?? I think that fact alone makes it hard for me to listen to him. Dude was a baby sucking his mommas tit when I was already watching sports.

3. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Eh, he doesn't really bother me. I understand his angle (i.e. Jim Rome, Skip Bayless, Richard Justice) is just trying to get a reaction. I'd listen to him on repeat everyday just to not have to listen to John Lopez or Josh Innes.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

His tenor isn't what bothers me, it's that he's just flat out wrong and makes stuff up so much.

I'll never forget him saying that Drayton made his money in the oil business. Or when he talked about MMA and said that Fedor hadn't fought in a long time and he wasn't sure he would ever fight again. This of course was as he was talking to someone who was on the show to hype the Fedor vs Rogers Strikeforce event on CBS that weekend. :confused:

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

How are you so sure he was breastfed? :confused:

6. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

Pallilo is the best, but he's kind of a jerk and doesn't really know much about baseball.

The problem for me is that I don't have much interest in pop culture or football and that 95% of what's discussed on "sports talk". It's NFL regular season, NFL playoffs, NFL draft, NFL training camp, BCS polls, college recruiting, gambling on football, blah blah blah. I don't find speculation about who the Dolphins may take in the 5th round of the draft or the latest legal escapade of a pop culture diva all that interesting. Apparently others do.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Really? I think Charlie talks good Baseball or maybe its just because he is the only host in Houston who is willing to talk ANY baseball.

Your right about football, I mean I like it as much as the next guy but dam. 1560, Nuno and Raheel, will give Basketball its fair run but besides that and 610's Thursday lineup...its football 24/7.

8. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Somehow, all this stuff about Gwinn in the last few pages doesn't surprise me in the least. It was clear he was trying to channel a sports Limbaugh from Day One.

9. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

For me Basketball is #1 and Football is #3, so I used to get really annoyed with how little basketball talk there is across the stations but I've gotten used to it. I have over 2 hours of commute each day both ways so I'm forced to listen to it.

It's really painful, especially even after an impressive win, the rockets get no airtime and we hear ppl complaining about the texans when their season is over already.

10. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

I don't like Charlie's steroid takes. Also, for a guy who is supposed to be so smart, I don't hear as much sabermetric analysis as I would like. I wish he would get on some stat geeks from time to time.

I know that football is king, but when it gets 90% of the air time irrespective of how the Rockets or Astros are doing, to me that's boring. And it seems to me that few of the hosts make an effort to understand baseball or basketball.

11. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

What I have noticed from hosts is that they will talk about whatever the callers want to talk about. As a matter fact they ask for callers of certain topics because I am sure they get bored of talking about all the things all the time. So if the callers want to talk football, then the host will talk football.

12. DreamRoxCoogFan

just out of curiosity, how much do sport talk radio guys make? I know that people like Charlie Palilo make much better money than guys at the bottom, but what's the range?

13. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

Seems a little off-base to me...but to each his own.

I think the guy is straight up on-point with his preparation, knowledge, and intellectual honesty. By far the best in town.

I'm not a big fan of hosts who change their stances on fairly static topics on a seemingly daily basis...or seem to throw out opinions simply to stir the pot and generate calls. Almost as if it's a self-serving attempt to keep their ratings at a level that allows them to keep their jobs...and nothing else.

Pallilo knows his stuff and doesn't agree with callers just to ingratiate himself to them. I can't figure out why anyone would paint him as "condescending"? The dude is a pro and is the only one I can stand listening to in the afternoons.

14. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

But it's self-fulfilling. The hosts know that the callers want to talk football, so they think that they are obligated to only be informed about football and they'll just wing it baseball and basketball.

15. rtsy

rtsy Member

East Coast spaz.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I am getting mad at matt and adam. All they want to talk is texans. Hell I think I heard more varied topics on the 610 show. I am very disappointed.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

After having listened to many of the callers and their questions, I'd rather listen to a Pallilean soliloquy any day. He's got an attitude about him and when he's not mocking the Houston teams, he's giving backhanded compliments to them, but there are times like today when he talked with so much detail about the 1993-94 Houston Oilers that made me want to say "now this is awesome sports talk".

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

http://twitter.com/adamclanton/status/27221721664720897

Co-hosting w/ @awexler on @sportstalk790 from 6-10a tomorrow morning, then staying for another hour w/ Mighty Gwinn until 11! #totallysweet

Do us a favor Adam. Stay two hours with Wimpy Gwinn, and have the Wimpy go home, or do something else. Tell him to go do his Taxes or work in his garden.

19. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Yup. Because Charlie's show is so controlled when it comes to callers is why it's one of the best. Listening to Pallilo answer a (surprisingly decent) question about football and he links it to some Oilers connection or listening to drivel like 610's Two Minute Drill where some morons who are barely coherent bark into the phone and hang up? Charlie wins every time.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

It would be funny if people called Gwinn's show only during the first hour to talk with Adam.

Totally diss Gwinn.