1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Rockets still trying to trade for Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Jan 10, 2011.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

http://www.cbssports.com/print/nba/...-brass-keeps-working-while-melodrama-drags-on

2. Raven

Raven Member

Carmelo's milking it, just like LeChoke and Bosh did. He's yanking everyone's chain and loving every minute of it.

3. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I think NBA (and its media partners), and the Nuggets are pretty involved in milking it too. Ratings are up for the NBA after "The Decision" and the Nuggets want all the fan bases pushing their teams to make the highest bids possible. Carmelo wants money and the best offers to surround talent around him.

I want to sign him, but frankly I've been tired of it for a while now, and have found more interest in the Pacers becoming more flexible with Granger.

4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

In true idiot fashion he's only hurting his playoff positioning on Knicks, Rockets, and maybe the Nets. Mello now might get them near .500, which is plenty when it is looking like .430 gets you the 8th seed.

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Except we really don't have picks to trade... Nor a young asset even in the galaxy of a Favors.

6. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

If the Rox do trade for Melo they better have him signed to an extension before they do the deal. Trading away the kind of assets Denver wants w/o an extension makes about as much sense as resigning Yao.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Denver's asking price for Melo SANS extension will not be nearly as high as it is right now with the Nets trade. The Nets WILL NOT do this deal unless Melo has an extension. So, if Melo refuses to sign the extension, Denver's offers get a lot crappier.

I think the Rockets have the assets to make a deal even without an extension in place. The only other teams believed to be willing to take this risk are Dallas and Portland. Houston has better trade assets than either of those teams. Dallas won't part with a good player, and their draft picks are crap. Portland has some contracts and picks, but they are likely not as good as Houston's, especially since they will not trade Batum.

So, if Melo refuses an extension unless he's traded to the Knicks, the Nuggets have three options:

(1) Hold onto Melo, endure the wrath of fans for the remainder of the season and through the lockout, and hope to get something for him via sign-and-trade after the lockout (with the slight possibility for an extend-and-trade deal just before the CBA expires).

(2) Extend-and-trade Melo to the Knicks in exchange for a package including a couple of decent players (from among Gallinari, Chandler or Randolph), some draft picks way in the future (2014? 2016?) and the bloated corpse of Eddy Curry.

(3) Trade him without an extension to a team like the Rockets for a comparable package of assets to what they'd get from the Knicks WITH an extension, which package may include Yao's insurance-covered contract, saving the Nuggets millions more in the process.

I'm not saying that one option is far more likely than any other. But the Rockets still have a puncher's chance in this thing, especially if Melo flat-out refuses to sign an extension with anyone but the Knicks.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Favors' numbers have been pedestrian at best.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Forget it about him. Farking Diva. I woudn't blow up our team for a 3-month rental, that's for sure. Look at NY's approach, Walsh patiently waits for his all-star player to come to him because he knows that's where Melo wants to be, and if in fact Melo dons a blue jersey by the fall of 2011, Walsh would have looked pretty good in his trade with us.

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

7.6 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1.3 apg.

Kobe Bryant's numbers his rookie year.

Derrick Favors is a 19-year-old kid. He's going to get a lot better.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dude, I made the very point about Chase and now people think I was saying he would be Kobe.

Well, the stupid people are saying that....

;)

DD

12. Codeo

Codeo Member

Chase was 19 last year?

13. sammy

And look at how great he has progressed this season!! :rolleyes:

14. jae713

jae713 Member

I'm having trouble understanding this, but if the Rockets got a rental on Melo, couldn't the Rocks then do a sign and trade with New York after the season was over.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes,they could. Melo could choose to sign outright with Knicks for less money as well. He can get big endorsements in NY and not lose out on anything.

16. sammy

Yep if Melo wants to maximize his dollars. This is why we've been reported to take on Melo without an extension. Signing the 3 year extension is still in Melo's best interest financially speaking so I'm assuming that DM thinks that Melo would eventually bite.

Anyone know when the deadline is for inking that ext?

17. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Why?

The Knicks already had enough cap room to sign Stoudemire before the trade with the Rockets. And Amare didn't sign with the Knicks because they were going to also sign Raymond Felton (who is essentially what the Knicks got from the cap room created by that trade - btw, not a bad signing, to be sure). Melo isn't dying to be a Knick because of Raymond Felton. He want to be a Knick because of New York and because of Amare. Again, nothing the Rockets trade would have affected.

Also, the Knicks would actually have been in a BETTER position to trade for Melo had they never made the Rockets trade. They could have traded any of the following assets now no longer currently available to be traded by New York:

Jared Jeffries' expiring contract (which would facilitate NYK taking on more salary from DEN)
    Jordan Hill
    2011 first rounder
    2012 first rounder (but not if 2011 or 2013 picks are traded)
    2013 first rounder

Bottom line: The Rockets trade did nothing to HELP the Knicks in their pursuit of Melo. It only made their pursuit immensely more difficult.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think Kobe was 18 his rookie year, actually.

19. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

They could do a S&T and he'd still get his money, but in that regards, just who is the Knicks trading with that much salary?

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Bima, as far as I know the Knicks salary dump was made with the intention of getting King James plus one of Wade or Bosh. I doubt it very much they had the Nuggets' demands for multiple draft picks in a possible trade for Melo. I think they were THAT focused on getting James.

In restropect, things didn't turnout as Walsh planned so he settled on Stoudmire, whom I consider to be an elite star. Now, if the rumors that Melo only wants to play for NY (long term) then they will be competitive for quite some time. A duo of Stoudmire and Melo would certainly attract Chris Paul's attention in 2012.

You start adding up star assets due, in part, because NY got enough cap space vis a vis the Houston trade, and I will say Walsh did very well.

Put it another way, if Melo ends up in NY with Stoudmire, not too many Rockets fans will post that funny video of Morey performing Jedi mind tricks on Walsh.