1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

basketball-reference appreciation thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by meh, Jun 8, 2010.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Hands down my favorite basketball site to visit. No, I'm not saying stats are the be-all end-all of player evaluation, but it's still an awesome tool.

Compared to other sites like espn or yahoo, basketball-reference is simply much more comprehensive. It gives perhaps as complete a picture of a player/team as a site can give, assuming you can interpret it correctly. The only thing lacking would be a full scouting report from NBA-level scouts. But alas, those are hardly available to us normal fans.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i love the site. the amount of stuff you can look up on there is just incredible. normal stats, advanced stats, playoff stats, advanced playoff stats, leaderboard appearances, etc. the "play index" where you can search all sorts of player and team stats can have you looking up crap forever.

maybe someone knows why, but their game logs for the regular season only go back to 86-87 so you can only search game stats back to that point and for the playoffs i think it only goes back to the 91 playoffs. of course the playoffs used to only go back to 96 i think so at least the championship runs finally made it in there. if they'd at least get the regular season stats back to 84-85 then they would finally have all of hakeem and jordan's careers.

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

always fun to scroll to the bottom to check salaries. great site

4. MingMingDynasty

You can sponsor a Rockets player page on that site for like $10 a year, just make sure to give a matching donation to Clutchfans

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ha, Jealous much?

I am too! :grin:

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

7. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Nice site

8. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

The player pages have a lot of useful advanced stats, but I also suggest checking out the blog on the site as well, where they post articles about various statistical analysis and other stuff. Overall an indispensable site to any basketball fan.

9. sinobball

sinobball Member

Suppose I want to know which 2003-04 Rocket had how many points/rebounds/assists against the Mavericks; other than doing game logs for 18 different players and adding the numbers, is there a quicker way to compile the data? I checked "player season finder" but it doesn't allow me to select the opponents.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It would require manually entering in box score data from newspaper articles. Boxscores back to 84-85 aren't available online for the whole league, to my knowledge.

11. durvasa

You means something like:

Print all 03-04 Rocket players for which points+rebounds+assists > N in games versus Mavericks?

There's no way to enter a query like that. You can, however, enter this:

Print all 03-04 Rockets player boxscores for which points>0, rebounds>0, assists>0, in games versus Mavericks.

http://www.basketball-reference.com...c3val=0&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pts

Then, C&P the output into a spreadsheet. Create a column pts+reb+ast. And sort. That wouldn't take more than a minute or so, if you know how to use Excel (for instance).

12. sinobball

sinobball Member

No I mean a table listing the stat totals & averages for all players against the Mavericks that season. Like what basketball-reference.com has for the entire season, entire playoffs etc. I was wondering if there's another site that can do that. But thanks for your help.

13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

www.hoopsstats.com

Doesn't reach back very far, but that is another incredible site for contemporary statistics.

14. durvasa

That information can be found from the splits (every player page has a split drop down in which you can select a season). Example: Yao Ming, 02-03:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mingya01/splits/2003/

Note that form of that URL. Its always location of the player page + /splits/[year].

15. durvasa

Split stats are available at basketball-reference.com also. Anything in particular you have in mind?

16. Mr. Space City

i wish these advanced stats were available back then. :(

17. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

All of the Sports Reference sites are great. Baseball-Reference is the best because baseball has the most comprehensive stats, but the others are as good as the data allow. Kudos to Sean Forman.