1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fun places in San Jose/San Fransisco?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pizza_Da_Hut, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

My girlfriend is from Los Gatos, CA and I'm gonna go visit her in the next week. Can you guys recommend anything worth seeing in that area? Literally all I can think of is Google and The Tech Museum...

2. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

yeah, i know a place there, its a

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HTN6Du3MCgI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HTN6Du3MCgI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

3. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

San Jose has nothing except for the Sharks (hockey).

SF: explore the city, Warriors game, Alcatraz, walk across Golden Gate bridge, go for a hike in the surrounding area.

1 person likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If you like tech stuff, you would enjoy the Exploratorium and the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco.

Google is actually a pretty boring visit, and unless you know someone there, you can't even get into their buildings anyway (last I checked.)

A drive up highway 1, from Santa Cruz to Daly City, especially with the sun out, is a fantastic trip. Take a break about halfway at Duarte's for some excellent soup, fried calamari, followed by pie.

1 person likes this.
  5. typhoon

typhoon Member

The Bush Man at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco :grin:

6. B-Bob

The alternate take is: make Fisherman's wharf your last stop and your last priority. :)

If you want to visit cool neighborhoods in SF, do North Beach and/or the Mission. Take a walk down Valencia St. from like 17th to 24th and back.

7. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Take the boat across to Tiburon. A drive to Stinson Beach.

no shortage of stuff in SF. San Jose? not so much.

1 person likes this.
  8. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I've only been to San Jose one time, to visit the Winchester Mystery House. I've been to San Francisco 3 times, and have personally experienced all the things I'm suggesting. There's really way too much to do.

San Jose

Winchester Mystery House

San Francisco

Golden Gate Bridge
    Golden Gate Park
    Alcatraz
    Blue & Gold Fleet Cruise
    Pier 39 Shopping (touristy area)
    Aquarium of the Bay
    Chinatown
    Japantown
    Ghiradelli Square
    Exploratorium / Palace of Fine Arts
    Union Square (retail shopping)
    Lombard Street
    Ride a Cable Car
    San Francisco Zoo
    Sausalito (dining and shopping)
    Muir Woods

1 person likes this.
  9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

San Jose has nothing to see, I would kill myself if I had to live there

As for San Francisco, just walking around the city, you will find tons of things to see and do, along with all the stuff everyone has been listing already

10. B-Bob

San Jose gets a bad reputation next to San Francisco, but it (and Oakland too) are pretty interesting if you have a lot of time to find the interesting stuff. If you're into Indian food and Indian markets, for example, SF has almost nothing, whereas San Jose and parts of the east bay have vibrant Indian and Pakistani communities.

Don't y'all get mad, but I kind of compare San Jose to Houston in one way. Visitors would be like WTF is there to do here? But if you have a local guide, it can be incredibly fun.

But as everyone is saying in this thread, if you just have 1-3 days, go with San Francisco.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

San Jose doesn't have a whole lot to do. Make the 45 mile drive from Los Gatos up to the city instead

Marina
    Golden Gate Bridge
    Marin Headlands
    Golden Gate Park (lunch @ Beach Chalet)
    Land's End
    North Beach, Lombard Street
    Ferry Building
    Telegraph Hill and Coit Tower
    Union Square

Also tons of cool places to eat here, especially in the Mission.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Depends on what things you like to do. In San Jose you have the already mentioned Tech Museum (used to be a docent there), Winchester Mystery House, and HP Pavilion (where the Sharks play), but if you like the outdoors there are many great places to hike and mountain bike (Henry Coe State Park, Forest of the Nisene Marks, Soquel Demonstration Forest, and a number of great parks along Skyline Boulevard). A bit of a drive takes you to Santa Cruz, Monterey, or Carmel, while close by you have Los Gatos and Saratoga (all good tourist places with shops, restaurants, and bars).

In San Francisco, you have lots of things to do and see. I was born in The City and still enjoy doing tourist things with my family: park near Fisherman's Wharf, eat walk-away crab cocktails and Boudin bread and sandwiches, walk to the Cannery and end up in Ghiradeli Square for hot fudge sundaes and hot chocolate, take the cable car down town or head into Chinatown for dim sum. I like the ferry suggestion to Tiburon, and if you are into the outdoors you can take bikes over to Angel Island and ride around. Or head north to the wine country. heck, its only a 4 hour drive to great skiing and gambling at Lake Tahoe.

The Bay Area is a great place to visit. Have fun.

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The ferry to Tiburon for drinks at Sam's is a great idea if it's sunny out. Only problem is that it's been raining incessantly here for the past month, so might need to look into that first.

14. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

MUIR WOODS. seriously, i don't even like nature all that much, but that hike blew my mind.

15. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

Wtf? San jose is pretty awesome. Pay me $20 and I'll take you on a tour of my high school in which you can observe the 90% asian student population in their habitat.