1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA2K3 graphics are of the hook

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by lovermanbuda, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Frist, thanks for the info about the Broadband Adapter! Much appreciated!

Secondly, what do you mean on #2 about a "router." What do you mean by that? Sorry for the ignorance.

And to echo what Der Rabbi wanted to know, to connect the PS2 to the cable outlet, if you already have the TV hooked up do you need a splitter to split the cable so BOTH the TV and the PS2 can be hooked up to the cable outlet?

Thanks!

Chris

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

3. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

I'm trying to publisize the hard work I have done by posting that I have made a sharkport file with updated rosters.

Including Yao Ming.

7-8 hours of work.

Email me @ whopp7@comcast.net

Hope you guys enjoy.

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

You know, it really seems that EVERYONE has a lower rating in general. The point scale is just different. I don't think the rockets got that jipped. Here are the ratings after my own modifications:

Francis 86 -> 87
    Mobley 84 -> 85
    Grif 73 ->75
    KT 73 -> 74
    MoT 69 ->71
    Rice 68 -> 72
    Nach 70 -> 72
    Mooch 66 -> 66
    TMo 65 -> 66
    Cato 59 -> 64
    Collier 54->55
    Yao Ming -> 76

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks for posting the link to that review. I was looking forward to Gamespot's review. My question to those that already have the game is, in reference to that revivew, do you end up missing a lot of easy shots if you are ahead with the AI trying to make the game close? From that review it sounds like that really is a BIG problem.

Also, the review really puts down the "passing." I thought the passing in NBA 2K2 was decent, it did not bother me. Is the passing in NBA 2k3 worse now?

Any help is appreciated! =)

Chris

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Drexlerfan, So in the game you CAN make changes to their ratings? I just wanted to confirm that. It sounds like you can. If this is the case then that is very cool.

I have read a few other boards that talk a bit about the ratings and your post confirms what I have read elsewhere where the ratings as a WHOLE are down for everyone. That is cool if that is the case. I think the ratings you have for the Rockets are ratings I can definitely live with.

Chris

7. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

I've never played a basketball game that passed perfectly but 2K3's seems a little weird. However there are 2 passing systems: Flat footed pass (normal D pad controlled - this is the one that occasionally does weird stuff) & the on the fly/in motion pass (right analog stick). I didn't like the sound of using the analog stick at first but after a few games it works fine. I use the analog stick for the under pressure passes & the D pad for basic ball movement. ..... All the player #'s seem a little lower this year which I like. I was getting tired of all the role players dominating in the paint in 2K2. I really like how harder it is to dunk over people. I like the slider adjustments you can make to customize the game play. ..... Looking around the rest of the league they haven't short changed the Rockets. You guys are homers.

8. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

The one thing that really frustrates me about 2k3 (and overall i love the game) is that in Sega's effort to flatten out shot percentages, I think they messed up a bit. I find myself missing layups with Cuttino, and inside buckets (sometimes wide open) with a player like Elton Brand.

So your shooting % will probably be closer to 50 (instead of 70%) unless youre dunking all the time.

I dont know Maybe My problem is playing on All Star right when i got the game.

It just sucks when you continously blow layups with guys who are good...I mean how many people in the NBA miss layups on a regular basis?

Even your average scrub could hit a layup.

Another thing i found difficult is outside shooting.

This is my 1st time playing 2k on a PS2 So i dont know if it was at all like last years game.

But last year I played 2k2 on the dreamcast and shooting was so much different. I mean the same buttons are used, but just how the players look, and getting the timing of when to release the shoot button seems a lot different to me. Im shooting like 20% from outside right now.

When i go to practice mode its hard for me to get an "excellent release" i always get (good slightly late). On dreamcast i was almost automatic. the other weird thing is when your player has his back to the basket he does this turnaround jumpshot that makes him look like a "frog." That shot is really difficult to time.

But other than that i love the game

PS i created YAO with a a78 rating he avg 14 pts 7 reb and 4 asisst (but only .6 blocks)
    and he won Rookie of the Year.

Jay Williams and Dejuan avg 17 pts and 4 assists.

Clippers (with a created marko Jaric) won the title over the Bucks 4-2

Rockets got eliminated by the clippers in round 1.

and KG was the MVP 28 pts 12 rebouns and 4 assists

9. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Just go to the Sliders screen & bump up the mid range shot for home & away. That's what I did & they seem to stroke pretty well from outside. I haven't noticed a whole lot of ridiculously missed shots. I only play head to head with a friend so it's rare someone gets wide open looks so most my missed shots could easily be forced misses. I had bumped close shooting down on the slider before I ever played a game thinking I'd avoid the dunkfest which was 2K2. However I think the default game play addressed all that enough that I ended up bringing the inside shot percentage back up a little. I've shot 49% in a game with the Bucks & it seemed my guys were on (especially the back court) & in a game it seemed I couldn't throw it in the ocean the shooting % was around 38%. That all seems pretty realistic. I've been wanting to up the fouls to keep some of the rebounds down. We've been having guys getting close to 20 boards a game every game. Even once getting 16 w/MoT & we all know that is BS. I'm thinking a few more fouls will cut down the FGAs.

10. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

DER RABBI,

What have you and your friends noticed a good time to get realistic scores?
    If i play for 9 minute quarters i can usually get a game to about into the 80's though it can be a struggle.

usually I struggle real bad in the third or second quarter.

i reeally enjoy the game though..anyone who has questiopns feel free to ask me...

i spent about 3 hours modifying players and rankings.

One thing i did notice is that dunk rankings are low.

I didnt like the fact that Kobe, Tmac, and Vince were all 90 (just an example)

I feel vince is liek 98 or 99 tmac 95 and Kobe like 92

also obviously athletic guys like stromile swift will be like 70...which seemed low

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

so does 2k3 allow you to bring custom players into franchise mode? that's a big point for me.

12. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

9 minute quarters. Juice up the fouls a little to make a few more trips to the line & keep the rebounds in check. Juice up the jump shooting a touch. Most our games are in the low 80s but neither of us are shooting above 500 from the line (not yet accostomed to the new free throw) When that comes games should be in the low 90s.

13. Fichte

Fichte Member

After a couple of nights, here are my observations:

Graphics: sweet. I could go on and on about how improved it is, but basically, at core it is the same engine that debuted with NBA2k. This needs to be reworked for future iterations, just to keep abreast with the competition (NBA Live and M$' effort).

Gameplay: It has been tweaked to a degree that it is near-intuitive and yet the possibilities of a good sequence (stuff your man, save the ball going out of bounds, whip it downcourt to the streaking receiver for the killer dunk) are endless. However, a minor gripe that has yet to be resolved in this year's edition: the non-existent fast break. Despite how many steps you are ahead of the defender, you will stop in midtracks in order to receive a pass. Simply pathetic on VC's part for not addressing this achilles' heel of NBA2k, after 3 or 4 tries. The rebounding is no longer a snap, thanks to the improved ball physics, and you have to be ready to anticipate different types of rebounds- some shots are flat and come off long, but some are short and will bounce around the rim like a hot potato.

Features: the franchise mode seems to be improved (though i stuck to the generic one-season try with my traditional "Long Beach PimpDaDDieZ" created teams of hall of famers) but that you cannot insert hall of famers in other teams to make a competitive season is a low blow and will contribute against my current "G.O.A.T" version, which is 2-0 (just blew out the rockets, my point guard induced Stevie Franchise into 5 charging fouls by reaching for the ball and letting him blow by the 6'11" garnett clone only to bowl over the defender in the paint repeatedly).

I don't think you can create a new player in franchise mode. But this game deserves a solid 8, far as i'm concerned after a couple of hours of play.

~Radical Subjectivity~

14. Live

Live Member

Finally got my copy of NBA 2K3. (My brother is going to get Live, and we're going to share both. Aren't brothers cool? :D )

Great gameplay, pretty realistic, got my tail handed to me by the CPU on a couple of occasions. And there's a crispness to the graphics that is not seen in many sports games.

The Create-A-Player mode is much improved, as is the Franchise mode.

And I didn't have a problem with the fast-break, I know the CPU certainly didn't (my goodness :rolleyes: ). There doesn't seem to be any uncontested break-aways, but there are opportunities to have a 3 on 2 or 4 on 2/3.

15. xcharged

xcharged Member

Anyone checked out NBA Starting 5 from Konami? Looks good...decisions decisions.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BigM, I don't have the game so I can't say for first hand whether it does or not but I have visited a NBA2K3 BB and this question has been asked a lot and it seems every answer is YES you can create a player in Franchise mode. This is big for me as well so I can create Yao Ming for the Rockets in Franchise.

Here is the NBA2K3 board I visit which might help with some info.
    http://s2.cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/gentopic.asp?board=31812

This has been a great thread, enjoyed reading all the users experiences with the game. Look forward to reading more. :)

And hopefully I will get the game soon! ;)

Chris

17. B

B Contributing Member

I finally got my copy last night along with a broadband adapter. I am pretty happy with it so far. Changing shots midair, improved crossovers near the sidelines, great ball physics, jumping into passing lanes for balls (haven't had a chance to dive for one going out of bounds yet), better release time for shots, ESPN presentation and improved graphics over 2k2 are all reasons why I like this version. I even like the lower shot %, though I had little problems with the default difficulty, shooting around 70% and holding the CPU to 33% shooting.

I do have some gripes though. I don't mind the max passing system, but the analog stick seems to almost always do a lob pass. A lob pass takes a lot of time and if a player is open, they are no longer open with such a slow pass. It's great to defend against, but terrible if you see someone open for a quick jumper. If anyone knows how to fix this with adjusting the sliders or other ways let me know. I think I read something on the gamefaqs.com board but I forgot what they said. Also, sometimes I lose the commentary altogether and just get the stadium announcer. I checked the presentation settings and it was set on TV broadcast, but no broadcast. Not a big deal, but it happened in my very first game, but since then it hasn't happened again.

Another thing I liked was I had a player injured on a regular play. Steve injured his hip when he got fouled going to the hoop. He was out for 46 days. When he was injured, it showed him with a hand on his hip, and later in the game I got an update on what the injury was. It sucked to lose Steve, but I really want as much realism in my sim as possible and that includes injuries. It forces me to depend on the bench and try to trade for depth.

I'm interested in playing some 5 on 5 with cc.net people. If we can't get ten people, I think it would be fun to try playing with five of us on the same team. Anyone have the time to organize a league? I would offer, but I have very little time at this point. If I did have time I'd probably doing some sim and fantasy leagues also.

B

18. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Can someone tell me where I can find a broadband adapter for PS2?

19. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Can someone tell me how these network adapters work? I have a cable modem on my computer, do I have to hook it up thru that? Do I just plug in straight from my cable? Do I have to access my ISP service at all? The old Dreamcast could just plug in a phone line & bypass your ISP. The game itself would plug straight into the site you needed to download rosters. It isn't that way anymore? All I want is updated rosters. I don't care about playing online.

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I bought 2k3 a few days ago for XBOX. At first, I hated it, and now I like it enough to keep it (I thought about trading it in for Live).

Like B mentioned, the passing seems to suck somewhat, with way too many lob passes to open players. I love the sliding scale thing where you can customize just about every aspect of the game to your need.