1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TheDreamShake] Some Defensive Numbers for Rockets Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Dec 28, 2010.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Tom Martin from TheDreamShake.com takes a look at some defensive numbers for Rockets players using MySynergySports technology (also a few offensive tidbits for Kevin Martin):

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2010/1...here-poor-rotations-wring-rockets-defense-dry

[rquoter]
    • Finally, some clarification on the mysteries of Jordan Hill's defense. It appears that I haven't given enough credit to him for his rather impressive individual post defense. Opponents have a ppp (points per possession) of 0.66 against Hill when matched up one-on-one against him on the block. That ranks 11th best in the league amongst individual post defenders. Kudos to you, Mr. Hill.
    • On the other hand, Hill has struggled mightily in spot-up situations, which count for nearly a third of his defensive plays. Hill gives up a ppp of 1.29 to opponents who receive a pass in a spot-up situation and either shoot or proceed to drive and then shoot. In watching the accompanying video highlights that Synergy provides, this is all a matter of poor rotation from Hill. In some cases, he got switched onto a competent three-point shooter like Vladimir Radmanovic or Thabo Sefolosha, which presented a mismatch on the perimeter that Hill shouldn't be expected to handle. However, in other cases, Hill would either lunge at his opponent and get beat off a quick slash move, or he would simply fail to close out in time. I do think this is a matter of miscommunication rather than a lack of intelligence or effort from Hill, so it's not much to fret about, lest it should continue throughout the entire season.
    • Kevin Martin gets a lot of flack for his poor defense, but there are a few areas in which Martin can hold his own. Despite his thin frame, he's actually very capable of getting through screens and closing out on jump shooters. In fact, during last night's game against Washington, the Wizards took four shots against Martin when running a player off a screen. Each one of the shots missed. In total, Martin ranks eighth in the league in preventing made jumpers off screens. He's also a capable post defender, allowing a mere 0.67 ppp in those situations, should a stronger guard attempt to post up the limber Martin.
    • Martin's primary shortcomings stem from his inability to successfully close out in spot-up situations (opponent ppp of 1.2 ranks Martin 239th in the league). As was the case with Hill, this is a matter of poor rotation. Martin appears to be able to stay with his man through screens, but once he is entitled to keep an eye on the entire floor, he gets caught out of position once his man catches a pass for a shot.
    • We don't need statistics to tell us how difficult it is for Martin to stay with a quicker guard in isolation. So that's that.
    • Praise for Martin? Absolutely. He's 19 for 30 on transition three-pointers. That's pretty amazing. In total, he ranks third in the league at finishing in transition with a ppp of 1.57. No wonder it's tough to take notice of his large scoring outputs during a game: a good portion of those points are scored on the run.
    • Does Martin do anything poorly on offense? If anything, he could limit his three-pointers in isolation and off screens, where he is shooting 26.9% and 28.6%, respectively.
    • Last, but not least, there are two primary areas of Houston's defense that need some fine-tuning. Again, for the billionth (or third) time, these relate back to poor rotations. Opponents are succeeding in making shots in spot-up and hand off situations against the Rockets (respective ranks of 21 and 26 in the NBA). They are also dominating Houston in isolation situations: the Rockets rank 27th in defending in isolation. Obviously, without a competent center in tow, it's much more difficult to prevent opponents from driving into the paint one-on-one.
    • P.S.: Ironically, despite how poorly the Rockets are performing in spot-up defense, they're succeeding admirably in spot-up offense, with a ppp of 1.11 (good for second in the league). These situations make up 19% of their offensive output, the largest percentage amongst the various possibilities.
    [/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  2. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

If only martin could defend isolations...

Its also interesting to see hill's D numbers. Mabye chuck and battier are rubbing off on him.

3. Mr. Space City

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Gross.

Personally, I was most surprised with Martin's ability to defend through screens. Seems like a frail guy should struggle there especially, but I guess it could have something to do with being quite good at using screens himself.

5. durvasa

That was the most surprising part for me too.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

durvasa, I'm surprised you didn't ask for an account on Synergy for Christmas. Seems like a stat person's dream. I know I'd love to have access to that kind of info.

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

One thing I've noticed while watching games is that Martin is so slight of build the opposing guys generally have a hard time actually catching him with the screen. He usually slips over or under it much faster than they anticipate.

8. durvasa

I was considering getting an account, actually, but I couldn't find a sign up link. I emailed them about it a few weeks back, but no response.

9. Codeo

Codeo Member

Being a frail guy, it is actually easy to worm your way through screens without initiating much contact. It's much harder to screen a thin guy.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

That is the beauty of advanced/situational stats, and how they can complement traditional scouting or the "eye ball test" as some on here like to refer to it. His weakness in isolation defense exacerbates our perception of his poor overall defense. I mean, he IS a poor overall defender anyways. But isolation defense, where he is on an island, with a target on his back, makes it look that much worse, and really contributes to his reputation.

I've said this before, the reason why magic works. It is because the hand is quicker than the eye. Which is why so many who boast about how stats are useless when they can simple watch the game are oblivious to what they may be missing.

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

It goes both ways. It might be harder to make solid contact with a thin guy, but any contact you do manage to make is going to have a greater effect on his progress.

12. Codeo

Codeo Member

Very true.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Problem with Rockets have never been their one on one defense (although we are terrible in iso situations across the board) but rather the rotations and this data confirms it.

Rotations are suppose to be enforced by the coaching staff, not the players.

14. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

So its rick adleman's fault that jordan hill falls asleep on defensive posessions?

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Odd how a thin guy gets so many FTs....

16. somenobody

somenobody Member

5 star thread! thanks for sharing!

17. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

Interesting read. Thnx!

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Enforced? I'm sure they work on this a hell of a lot in practice, when they can practice. Heck, I'm encouraged by that problem, because it sounds like something they can fix. It isn't like Martin and Brooks, for example, are slow upstairs.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Meh.

poof - smokescreen here, ninja stat there, cute analyzation slap to your face finisher... and we're still 20th in defensive efficiency overall.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's no excuse after all this time for our perimeter players to be so bad on defensive rotations....unless they don't practice it in practice.