1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS][UPDATED]Magic TRIED TO get Martin for Gortat, Rockets say DENIED!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by the_hustler, Dec 18, 2010.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

So we pretty much can't believe anything Morey says? We have to infer on our own what is really going on? So we should take everything our general Manager says not seriously? Yeah that makes sense.

As a fan we should be able to trust our GM when he says, "We're not giving up on this season, we're looking to make the playoffs." I'm sorry if I'm a fan and I believe what our GM says. Please forgive me for wanting to make the playoffs.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Or you keep Martin until the market changes and some elite talent does become available? If Martin is the better and more valuable player, why not keep him? It's not like Gortat is going to take the Rockets over the top. It's also not like a Gortat-level talent won't become available later.

3. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Nicely said.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

no. gortat gets paid about half of what martin gets. i assume to complete the trade the magic would have to throw in an ending contract to match salaries.

the rockets aren't thinking of the incoming players as the long term solution, they are thinking of the cap space they could have freed up.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

6. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

it was not like this in the 90s :( the 90s had at least one all star caliber player on his team. even the sorry teams had at least one elite player back then. lebron facked the whole free agency game up. its like the sorry teams are extremely terrible now, because nba star are ring chasing at an early age like never before, making the already lottery teams even sh!ttier.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

How does the Rocket Guy know for CERTAIN the Rockets didnt initiate offering Martin?

I'm not surprised that the Rockets would try to trade Martin. But for Gortat as the main piece, that does NOT make sense with the sell high/buy low approach of Morey. And not at all with the acquiring assets for a SUPERSTAR approach.

That seems more like a reactionary plug a hole move. I'd rather Kevin Martin dealt for future assets or toward a bigger piece,

1 person likes this.
  8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Again, it isn't that black and white. You can believe a great deal of what Morey says. But when the product they've put out on the floor is mediocre at best, he isn't going to say "Well we're hoping we can squeak into the playoffs so we can get knocked out in the first round". And when has a team EVER said "Well, we're hoping our team will be bad enough to land us a top 3 pick in the draft"? Yeah. That's never happened and I doubt it ever will.

Well, I don't believe that they would have traded Martin for Gortat straight up anyway. They would have had to have gotten more out of that deal because Martin is the kind of guy who could put Orlando over the top.

As for elite talent becoming available, how often does that even happen in trade? When was the last time an elite talent was traded in anything other than a sign and trade? Pau Gasol? It doesn't happen often. I maintain there is absolutely nothing wrong with trading Martin for a promising young talent + draft picks. All Martin can do for the Rockets at this point is hurt our chances of acquiring a star player via the draft.

#88 Williamson, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

BS. no way an elite scorer like martin gets traded for gortat and nothing else much more significant. players that can get you points like martin are rare and few

1 person likes this.
  10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

true but i disagree lol.

holding onto expensive players who are in their prime while hoping that one day a team will feel like trading you a superstar is a rebuilding plan with a bad success rate. this rumored move isn't about the greatness of gortat. its about freeing up cap space and creating minutes for our young wings.

1 person likes this.
  11. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

More likely that Magic offered Gortat for Martin and got rebuffed by the Rockets.

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Excellent description. effortless scorer. Martin will never be confused with D-Wade but Dwade will never be able to shoot a 3 like it was a layup. Effortless is a perfect description. And his defense isn't as bad as everyone tries to say.

13. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

Search no further...THIS is why you are stupid !!!and THIS is why you are not a REAL ROCKETS FAN

14. BJE

BJE Contributing Member

This makes a bit more sense even though it is from Hoopsworld

UPDATE: The Rockets were actually involved in talks with the Orlando Magic about acquiring Marcin Gortat, whom they chased in free agency, but the Magic really wanted Kevin Martin and the Rockets didn't see that as an equiatable move. Orlando's second choice was Jason Richardson, whom they acquired today.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18229

2 people like this.
  15. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

We will have plenty of cap space free from Yao,Battier,Hayes,Jefferies = +34mil

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I am more curious then ever how Morey will shape this team. It appears more then ever, they aren't tanking or rebuilding but reloading.

Would Morey go after Varejao to be our center? He is already looked into it before and would help out defensive quite a bit although he isn't a shot blocking defender.

17. Htown's2kFinest

how would you know if he isn't? one big trade and we could be back in the thick of things WITH Kevin Martin.

i was wishing gortat would be in rockets red too but giving up the most efficient wing scorer in the lg for him is stupid.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And why you're stupid is because you called me stupid without giving any supporting reasons as to why you disagree with the bolded statement. You also questioned my dedication as a Rockets fan without any cause. I have been a diehard Rockets fan for 26 years. One of the greatest moments of my life was when I watched, in person, as Hakeem nailed a three pointer that just added insult to injury as the Rockets finished off the Orlando Magic in game four of the NBA Finals. I watch nearly every game, and when I lived overseas, I would stay up til' 4 in the morning watching the game chat on Clutchfans simply so I could know in real time who won. I hate to break it to you, but I can be a die hard Rockets fan and have a different opinion than you on the direction the team needs to go.

19. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

why duh eff would we trade martin? he starting to take the scoring load after finding out the yao is out. CF would crash for weeks if that trade went down

(also, did he hurt himself after a dunk last night?)

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

It's hoopsworld, but that makes more sense. I seriously doubt the Rockets are shopping Martin for a back up center.