1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Rockets have inquired about Marcin Gortat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thabeet has peaked too. Garbage. I would rather have Haywood or Gortat at center and look to upgrade elsewhere.....e.g. Scola for Josh Smith.

2. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

3. gah

gah Member

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Drats!! Foiled again! :rolleyes: Gortat to Pheonix. Well, who's next on our list??

5. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

some posters were arguing that Ken Berger misquoted his sources when he tweeted it. now that he has put down on his article, I thought I could post it again to confirm that his tweet was right.

wow . you guys are cruel.

6. BJE

BJE Contributing Member

I know this is from HoopsWorld, but does seem to make a little more sense.

UPDATE: The Rockets were actually involved in talks with the Orlando Magic about acquiring Marcin Gortat, whom they chased in free agency, but the Magic really wanted Kevin Martin and the Rockets didn't see that as an equiatable move. Orlando's second choice was Jason Richardson, whom they acquired today.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18229

7. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

thanks . makes sense now.

8. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

wow so the magic actually wanted martin. my bad. martin is definately worth more than gortat, but i do want gortat on this team. he's like a more polished greg ostertag, who plays defense a trillion times better.

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

I just have to post this. In the "Breaking: Yao has stress fracture in left leg" thread: 2 days ago I posted the trade below and got slammed. See below:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokman
    I see a great trade that works out well for both teams and actually gets accepted by RealGM trade checker:

Houston Trades:
    - Yao Ming (17 million expiring)
    - Kevin Martin (2 years remaining after this year with $12 million average each year)

Orlando Trades:
    - Marcin Gortat (3 years remaining after this year with $7 million average each year)
    - Vince Carter (1 year remaining at $18 million which is a team option)

Reason for Orlando:

Yao is done and clearly just an expiring contract waiting for a team to pick it up, a HUGE expiring contract. Orlando with the highest payroll in the league at a whopping $95 million dollars I am sure would love to have some financial relief. Marcin Gortat has been very upset with not getting the playing time he feels he deserves (Starters minutes) and it is obvious the Magic like other players ahead of him more. Kevin Martin easily picks up where Vince Carter leaves off for Orlando and in fact probably makes them better. This deal, though a little odd for a championship contending team, actually makes them better by relieving them of the burden of Gortat's contract and by acquiring a younger, cheaper and better player to take Vince Carter's place. WIN, WIN for Orlando!

Reason for Houston:

The Rockets have been eying Gortat for years even trying to sign him as a free agent 2 years ago. This is their chance to get him. Orlando is stacked and does not really need his services and he needs a chance to see the court. In Houston he can get the chance to be the guy he has been begging Orlando to let him be for years. Vince Carter takes the temporary place of Kevin Martin (The Defensive Ghost) and hopefully can turn into an expiring contract after this year. This would allow the Rockets to go after a Shooting Guard (who are much easier to get than Centers) and possibly solidify the Center position for a couple of years.

Rockets Line-Up:

P.G. - Kyle Lowry / Aaron Brooks / Ish Smith
    S.G. - Vince Carter / Courtney Lee /
    S.F. - Shane Battier / Terrence Williams / Chase Budinger
    P.F. - Luis Scola / Chuck Hayes / Patrick Patterson
    ..C. -Marcin Gortat / Brad Miller / Jordan Hill

Though I hate the idea of Vince Carter playing for us I would be fine if it was just for a season and $18 million expiring. Of course this will never happen but I would not be opposed to it.

rock4ever Replies
    Gortat? Rebuild around a player who doesnt even start? Worst trade in sports history

I just want rock4ever to eat his words. If you think I come up with the worst trade in sports history you must think that Morey is a complete idiot. Next time I hope you keep your insults to yourself and try not to humiliate people on a public forum!!

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Now that Gortat is a Sun, this thread hurts my eyes. :(

11. Txang99

Txang99 Member

I would have liked to have gotten Gortat, but not at the expense of giving up Martin. Maybe Phoenix will want to move him later. We still need a solid big man, so I wouldn't give up on trying to trade for him.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Are we looking to contend sometime in the next four years? No.

13. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

It's a public forum, and it's still the worst trade in NBA history :rolleyes:

Lowry
    Carter
    Battier
    Scola
    Gortat

This is who you rebuild with?!!!? LMAO. You trade Martin, who's playing lights out right now, for Gortat? A back up center? And Vince Carter (TMAC's cousin)? A complete failure everywhere he goes at this point? HELL NO.

I dont give a **** about cap space at this point. For the Rockets to give up on they're season at this point, would be a terribe move. We're ALREADY in a good financial position and we're still relativley competitive. Trading our most efficient scorer for a energy player and a over the hill star (who cant play hurt) is just a bad move in every aspect.

The most overrated hyped up players in this forum are:

Gortat (Back up center, but NOT a rebuilding piece)

Noah (Bigger, stronger Chuck Hayes w/ sense of humor. NOT a franchise player)

Rubio (Never was star material. Too slow, no jumpshot, cant create on a elite level.)

CBud (I think it was DD who said he was better than JR Smith before the season :rolleyes: )

Taj Gibson (Another hustle player? How many damn hustle players do you guys want on this team :confused: )

14. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

I am also intrigued about trading Bud (Former Wildcat) for Gortat, considering how Porous The Rockets D-Fence can be. Chase is a Sharp Shooter (his shooting percentage this season most likely dipped due to his sprained ankle and getting back into form) and when Aggressive can be a Strong Finisher at the rim. He appears to play intelligently, a decent passer, Good in Transition, and has improved his defense since arriving into the NBA. However, I don't think Bud would Cry as he gets to be Reunited with his Bountiful Arizona Fan Base :cool:

#234 djperm, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010