1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gerald Wallace Available

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pcann, Dec 17, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Wallace isn't a superstar by any means but is a good building block. He is the kind of guy you can bring in to solidify a unit for years to come. I would be for it however I would be EXTREMELY hesitant to move draft picks at this point. I would see about moving some other assets for him, help them out with his contract and build with him but that 2011 1st rd pick should be untouchable at this point.

2. Raven

Raven Member

One exception in 30 years.

:rolleyes:

3. R=$

R=$ Member

Houston Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +1.2 ppg, +8.6 rpg, and +0.1 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Gerald Wallace
    6-7 SG / SF from Alabama
    16.7 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 2.5 apg in 38.9 minutes
    Nazr Mohammed
    6-10 C from Kentucky
    8.6 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.4 apg in 17.8 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    Kevin Martin
    6-7 SG from Western Carolina
    22.8 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 2.4 apg in 31.7 minutes
    Jared Jeffries
    6-11 SF from Indiana
    1.3 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.4 apg in 6.8 minutes

NICE ! :cool:

4. Raven

Raven Member

That's exactly what I want to do.

5. Sing4LTS

Sing4LTS Member

THIS! :grin:

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Please no more of this. That looks like a totally average team. Maybe a 43-39 record and first round exit?

Morey's goal isn't to try to build a team without superstars. He knows you need them to win. That team above would be a contender if you switched Martin for Wade and then moved Scola to the bench and had someone like Josh Smith starting.

PG Lowry, Ish
    SG Wade, Lee
    SF Wallace, Williams
    PF Smith, Scola
    C Gortat, Miller

I dunno if that wins a championship, but it could be pretty close depending on chemistry. If you look at the top teams this year they are freaking juggernauts. Basically, we need A LOT of major pieces if we are going to think about contending.

#66 robbie380, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  7. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

i think neither morey, adelman nor les would do that. not saying either way is the right way, i just dont see this organization choosing that option.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

pcann just joined and he is already making threads and getting rep!

He is the Chase Budinger of this board!

Hopefully he won't have a bad post slump later on and lose his confidence.

9. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

FOR REAL? I lay down a totally realistic trade scenario...and you reject it for this? This wouldnt even get passed in 2k11 lol.

No way we could accquire 4 players like that...and no way we would even try....i still dont know what we traded for wallace in your scenario ... and then smith...lol. Miami would never trade wade...for any package we can offer. Smith is sorta realistic...gortat is...wallace is...but wade? and for martin? That is insane.

10. KPG

KPG Member

I would like them to make a run at Thabeet, I know he has come no where close to what was expected but I think he would be a low risk high reward player i.e T-Will.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know we can't realistically acquire those players. I should have been more clear about that. I was just trying to show what kind of changes in our roster we need to actually compete for a championship.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Please stop with the Wallace/Iguodala trade rumors. Without Yao, there is no point in acquiring these players.

Gerald Wallace is the type of guy who could be the third best man on a championship team. Adding Gerald without Yao would only make us the Detroit Pistons with a better coach -- a bunch of good players on big contracts that won't ever seriously contend for a championship. (Scola; Martin; Wallace; possibly Brooks)

I'd be all for Iguodala or Wallace if we could count on Yao anchoring the middle. With yesterday's news, it's just time to let go. It's time to rebuild, people.

13. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Bahahaha post of the year.

14. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Naw. We can sign Marc Gasol to anchor the middle and we'd be set.

15. HRocketsFan

HRocketsFan Member

[​IMG]

He looks good in Rockets' red. Sign me up.

1 person likes this.
  16. Sanity2disChaos

He is also a good teamate....no problems and a leader when he needs to be. Unfortunatley it rarely showed on such a bad team.

17. Raven

Raven Member

Hallelujah, someone else gets it.

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I would do it for a core package of Brooks, Budinger, and Battier or Jeffries.

I realize that we aren't even going to come close to sniffing a championship with a top 3 of Martin, Scola, and Wallace ... but all 3 are very good starters and IF we do come across a superstar in the next two years, we would be set and would likely still have enough assets to get a deal done without tearing up the team. Or, any of those 3 guys could be used in a deal to bring in a better player as they all have decent contracts.

I'm not sure whether I favor a complete blow-it-up type rebuild or just some re-tooling, but either way I would make a play for Wallace.

19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Before getting to the issue of even signing Gasol, I would say that he is yet another complimentary piece. The only thing you're building is a team full of third and fourth option players and hoping that "team ball" will take them over the top. It won't. We need to completely rebuild and land a franchise player, not another complimentary piece.

I know rebuilding isn't popular with fans. Who wants to endure losing seasons just for draft picks that may or may not work? But there is no shortcut around the process -- this is what you have to go through to get your team back up to a championship level. Trading for a bunch of third and fourth options only delays the process further and frustrates fans like me who see us in the NBA's purgatory -- good enough to compete for the last seed in the playoffs, but not good enough to ever seriously contend for a championship.

Look at the elite teams in the NBA and their third options: Boston (Garnett); Heat (Bosh); Lakers (Odom); Spurs (Parker). Those third options are better than any current player on the Rockets. Gerald Wallace could probably be considered good enough to be a third option.. but what's the point of acquiring Lamar Odom if you don't have a Pau Gasol or Kobe Bryant?

We need to rebuild, not look for shortcuts that will keep our heads above the .500 water.

Marc Gasol is a restricted free agent. Per Bima's numbers in another thread, we'd have roughly $9M in cap space if we let everyone expire and the cap remains the same (unlikely). The Grizzlies are going to match a ~9M offer to Gasol -- they seem to have already come to terms with letting Randolph walk, thus freeing them to sign Marc.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

U mad?