1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Yao interview about injury

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 16, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Link to story

Yao Ming and the Houston Rockets will examine all options before determining his future after yet another stress fracture was found in his troublesome left ankle Thursday morning.

Yao, as is his nature, was upbeat in light of a setback that throws a heavy shadow over his future as an NBA player.

"I haven't died," he said. "Right now I'm drinking a beer and eating fried chicken. What were you expecting, a funeral?"

Only a few days ago, a source close to Yao expected the 7'6" All-Star center to return to action from a bone bruise in his left ankle for the Rockets' post-Christmas three-game homestand that starts Dec. 27 against the Washington Wizards.

Yao was even more optimistic, saying he was targeting the team's three-game road swing through California that begins Dec. 19.

But a routine exam this week discovered that his injury, sustained in the first quarter of a Nov. 19 game against the Wizards, was actually a fracture.

He explained his even-tempered response to the discovery by pointing to a friend in China who, at 20 years old, appeared to have NBA-caliber talent.

The friend sprained his knee and the subsequent exam revealed he had bone cancer. His knee was replaced with an artificial one. Thereby ending his playing career and NBA dreams.

"Compared to that," Yao said, "mine is nothing."

Yao was surprised by Thursday's discovery because he had been feeling no pain in his foot or ankle. The fracture is not in the area reconstructed by surgeons two summers ago in hopes of alleviating the foot and ankle problems that had forced him to miss 86 regular-season games over a three-year span.

Prior to that, he had missed only two games over his first three seasons in the league, despite a heavy annual offseason schedule playing for the Chinese National Team.

But he also had mentally prepared himself for any possibility since having his left arch surgically lowered in a dramatic attempt to reduce the stress on his foot and ankle.

The same surgery alleviated similar issues for Miami Heat center Zydrunas Ilgauskas, who has since played more than 700 games without a recurrence.

But Ilgauskas is also at least 50 pounds lighter than Yao and was in his early 20s when he had the surgery. Yao turned 30 in September.

"The doctor told me there was no guarantee it would work, so I never put myself where I was expecting the best," Yao says. "I was always prepared for the worst."

Yao and the Rockets will take the next few days to go over the latest exam results and determine what, if any, course of action there is left to take to get him back on the court. A decision is expected to be announced on Monday.

At the time of the reconstructive surgery, Yao told friends that he would retire rather than go under the knife and endure a long rehabilitation again.

As of Thursday, though, he refused to reiterate that stance.

"Right now, I still hope I can come back and play," he said.

Yao is in the final year of a contract that will pay him $17.7 million this season. He recently purchased the Shanghai Sharks, the team with which he started his professional career in the Chinese Basketball Association.

He became the first foreign-born and developed player to be selected first in an NBA draft when the Rockets took him No. 1 in 2002.

DD

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Right now I'm drinking a beer and eating fried chicken. What were you expecting, a funeral?"

3. G-Money

G-Money Member

love this dude lmao

4. blink

blink Contributing Member

i blame this on tmac

5. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

We all know that Yao is hurting deep on the inside, but I'm still glad to see him cracking jokes.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sounds like he knows the severity but will roll with the punches.

Good for him !

TsingTao for all my friends !

DD

7. Mr. Space City

dude is livin the life. eating chicken and drinking beer will making 17 mill from doing nothing

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Racist.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Gotta love Yao.

Extend this man for five years at minimum salary - NOW!

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

At this point, what can he do. Good to see him in good spirit and not making any rush judgements till the docs can get a closer look at his future.

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Do you know where the concept of frying food was invented? It's too bad not more Asians live in America because that stereo-type is definitely unfounded. Especially to people that eat fried everything, do you follow the Food or Travel Channel?

13. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

How can this guy be so up-beat about it :confused:

but this makes me feel better not disappointed since yao is not down on himself

14. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

I guess Yao doesn't realize that some of us drink beer and eat chicken at funerals...

15. Defy9

Defy9 Member

I have so much Man love for Yao...

16. rawool

rawool Member

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  17. delta69er

delta69er Member

"chicken and beer"-wasn't that (or something along those lines) a ludacris album that came out a few years back?

18. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

I'm glad to see Yao upbeat about the current situation. Hopefully we can re-sign him for cheap this summer and hope for the best. Or maybe he can become a coach for our big men.

19. BradMiller

BradMiller Member

More like

[​IMG]

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Can you imagine if the fracture was just a mis-diagnosis? The doctor is like, on the second opinion, it seems that it was a clutter of eye lashes and eyebrows (old people can sometimes have bent lashes and brows due to the keratin having weak-link formations) on the lens. :eek: