1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Tracy McGrady's Houston Return: Before, During and After

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 7, 2010.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

immaturity, stupidity and ingnorance pretty much

2. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Big Mistake

There are a lot of T-Mac haters on clutchfans. It's undeniable. But I don't believe that there are just a few members who can remember what he brought. Even Clutch was surprised about this booooooos.

It was unfair. A lot of you guys just don't want to remember the good things. Toronto Game, bla bla bla. we all know about it. It was bad, awful, for sure. But why you all forgot about things that happened just a year before that?

T-Mac had a knee injury in collision with Dirk (last Stevie Franchise Game as a Rocket). He came back in January but he was not himself. He was way far from 100%. But we were out of playoffs race and he came back to help healthy Big Fella.

Yao was leading this team to a great success, he was the best player of the Month, he really dominated the game. Then he had a stress fracture. He 'left" T-Mac with a bunch of role players. Rookie Scola, who can't rebound and play D, rookie Landry, who was just a finisher under the rim. Rafer. OMG. Bobby "Mister Bad Shot" Jackson, Luther and couple of veterans in Shane, Deke and Chuck, coach and great fan base. It was the toughest conference in the history of the game. Everybody knows that we were not able to contend or even win a playoffs series that year. But he stayed with a team. He realized that there was no way he can accomplish his goal on winning a championship, but he didn't quit.

Despite double-teams in every game, he led Rockets to an amazing simply incredible winning streak. The best thing that had happened with Houston Rockets after Hakeem's era. He was injured, he was surrounded by role players, but he did it. we finished just a few wins below Lakers and wc crown. Everybody pretended that Rockets will not make a playoffs but we had the best record in eleven years.

He played with his heart against Jazz in playoffs despite his problems with knee and shoulder. He wasn't able jump, he wasn't able shoot, but he scored 40 in a game 6 against Jazz with an amazing second quarter comeback.

This decision cost him his whole career. He would still be a big time player, he would still wear a Rockets jersey on every game. But you forgot what he did back in a February 08 and you just remember about February 09. You boooooooed him and showed no signs of respect for all that he did. Ok. Maybe, 22 game winning streak doesn't mean a lot for you and you just can't stop hating

------
    -------

1 person likes this.
  3. bro2044

bro2044 Member

although I dont agree with his attitude after a lot of things happened, I agree with this post. I think boo-ing him was unnecessary and a bit classless.

4. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

great post in my honest opinion

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I posted this in the last tmac thread. Guess I'll just keep it copied to the pasteboard for ease of use...

Tmac in Houston was much like a rollercoaster.

I enjoyed the ride but at the end I was almost sick to my stomach and ready for it to end.

1 person likes this.
  6. Seth

Seth Member

Rarelly so much people make the same mistake at the same time.
    If people booed him the way it happend, it may be that TMac did some things that really bothered a lot of people.
    His last year as a Rocket may have been a deciding factor, but he always had his detractors. Me included.

7. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

When you make $23 million, you tend to raise your expectations a little bit and compare actual results to those expectations. When your best player continually throws your team and/or coach under the bus, you raise your eyebrows. And when you go to the media to announce the unilateral decision to end your season BEFORE discussing the matter with the team that pays you $23 million, that's a problem. That's just a few things.

There's a reason he's been booed in his return to EVERY former team he's played for. 3 former teams, 3 "unwelcome" returns.

You're the one who's made the big mistake for not opening your eyes.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I agree, everyone just ignored that season somehow. We took the Jazz to six games, and it would have been seven if we had Rafer Alston for all the games.

9. rawool

rawool Member

I agree. I was really disappointed with the negative reaction McGrady received. People easily forget the good and exciting things he did before his injury.

I'm starting to believe people were still buzzed off of the LeBron-Cleveland drama that they felt it's "cool" to boo Tracy.

10. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

TMac's last 1.5 seasons at the Rockets separated the TOFs from the Rocket fans who loved Tmac.

11. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Explain to me other than the 08-09 season when has T-Mac supposedly "thrown his team under a bus"?

He put it all on the line when he played for us, and when healthy he was a force.

Yeah and you bring in the $ issue. GTFO. The guy wanted to play in the 09-10 but the coach didn't let him. Yeah it was bad what T-Mac did, "throw the team under the bus", but the organization and coach handled the situation just AS bad...and the scary part is, it seems like this is what they are doing to Yao.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I did not boo him.

13. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

I wanted McGrady away from the Rockets last year. But I don't want to deny what he did.

http://www.nba.com/news/winning_streaks.html

Look on the real power of every team except Rockets in this list and compare it ours. That's making this streak a very very special thing. smt that I will always remember for the rest of my life. It not about McGrady. It's about team that didn't quit at all. Despite all.

14. Guru

Guru Member

I agree - the booing was not cool.

On a side note - cue Tinman... :grin:

15. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Don't call people out for not "wanting to remember the good" when you refuse to acknowledge the bad which was so bad that anything Tmac did (or didn't do) before could have made up for.

TMac put himself above the organization by announcing his surgery despite not telling RA, DM and co and despite the Rocket's medical team saying that he did not require surgery, this was during the final days of the trade period too, so why did he do it?

Well according to the rumors he did it to block a trade, I tend to ignore this because rumors are just that, but you do have to think about it; don't give me the "He wanted to stay here" BS that people bring up every-time I mention this, he didn't have a NTC and guys like Landry who knew their place accepted their fate and didn't b**** one bit.

I will stop now because I am rambling, but TMac was my favorite player, until he decided to **** on my favorite team.

16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Injuries and attitude cost him his whole career. Is it a big mistake if I boo you?

Great, he was part of the 22 game win streak...second in NBA history. :rolleyes: If that's your claim to fame and you have talent like McGrady and a big man like Yao....you deserve to be booed.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I didn't boo him either. Thought it was strange.

why don't people boo things that deserve it?

Like the Texans.

18. RainbowPoop

RainbowPoop Rookie

I love Mcgrady... No homo.

I became a Rockets Fan in 99' as a 10 year old kid I watched the Rockets loose game after game, Steve franchise era came n went, the Yao&Mac era came. When Tmac came to Houston it was the first time I felt I could witness the rockets win a championship, we could speak of what couldve been. He brought us memories, he played his heart out when on the court (besides towards the end).

I was at the pistons Game wearing my number1 jersey, I gave him a standing ovation, people around me told me that Tmac wasn't on the squad, that he was garbage etc. I still cheer for Mac, it's a damn shame what transpired but the past is not be dwelt on but to take as an example of what an NBA season can do to a top athlete(s).

Mac I wish the best for you.

I should've made a "THANKS FOR YHE MEMORIES" poster but I wouldn't had to wear a flame suit like rockets girl. Haha.

19. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

1. "But he didn't quit"??? He's a professional athlete and the highest paid player on the team. Quitting isn't even an option. He doesn't deserve a cookie or any credit for "not quitting."

2. To say that "he did it" when referring to the 22 game stream is to discount the grit and fortitude that the rest of the players on that team showed. That's part of what made it so incredible. Yes McGrady was the centerpiece player in all of it but to say that he did it basically himself is flawed.

3. Great, he played hurt in the Utah series. See #1.

4. "All that he did"??? What did any of the individual accomplishments amount to? The year he was out was the year we had our breakthrough to the second round. How "concidental."

Don't get me wrong, he had some great regular season moments, and even some flashes of greatness in the playoffs. But he's not the whole package.

And the most infuriating part of all it....is that all it would take is for him to make things right would be to humble himself and to say that he made some mistakes, there were some things he would do differently now if he had it to do all over again, and that he does in fact shoulder some of the blame for the way things ended not only here, but in all of the other places he's been booed at upon his return.

20. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

So you are mad that he decided to get surgery before the trade deadline?

Were you in T-Macs body at the time? Do you know how much pain he was in? NO because none of us do. He could have been BS'ing to stay in Houston or he could have been really hurting and that could've have been the only option to continue his career. So how can you blame him?

It's stupid to think he craped on your favorite team, he was HURT. It's not like he was Albert Haynesworth here, coming in fat and not in shape. The dude was HURT.