1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Yao now out indefinitely

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by codell, Dec 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Insurance companies can exclude certain players every year, anyone want to bet that Yao is excluded?

DD

2. Sanity2disChaos

So are we in the same situation we were in with T-mac or is this a Brandon Roy type of situation??

The Blazers are having similar problems with B.Roy.........

3. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Old news. Yao reported this in his interview a day or two ago.

Anyway, there's no secret plan for insurance or trades IMO. This is just the Rockets giving Yao more time to rest the ankle and to get 100%.

With the schedule over the next week or two, they don't need him to beat those teams.

They need him as close to 100% for the elite teams. There's no harm to waiting right now.

4. anchel

anchel Member

You have Jeffries already as expiring piece. You won't get an Iguodala just for an expiring, if it's what you meant.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Let him heal completely, get him back by the end of December, and play him full minutes the rest of the season. If he suffers any more significant injuries this season we can officially give up on the Yao era.

If he's back next season, it better be a reasonable contract. No more than $8 or $9 million.

6. Classic

Classic Member

Or they'll exclude pre-existing conditions....

Has Yao ever hurt 'this' ankle. Somebody call Alex Jones, I think we have a conspiracy to collect insurance money!

7. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

You'd do that. Of course. But we don't know if that is the case.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

No, you missed the point.

Any owner would do that "business decision" (i.e. deal)

So blaming Les, and bemoaning our owner as the reason we are teh suck, is kind of pointless.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

You'd think they would have excluded Yao and Tmac years ago.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

nothing in this post talks about how Yao adds value to the rockets. yes he is a marketing machine, for McDonalds. the money from NBA merchandise is evenly distributed.

I'm sure there is value to Less, personally, but not as much to the Rockets, not near as much as people imply

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

"That's not true!!

THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!"

[​IMG]

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Les Alexander is the Rockets.

To suggest he, or the organization, doesn't benefit from Yao financially... is looney talk.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Les is the owner of the Rockets.

Yao plays for the Rockets.

Les' only connection to Yao is through this team he owns in the NBA called the Rockets.

You're quibbling over semantics. Again, you will have a difficult time convincing me that Les' association with Yao Ming isn't making him tons of money...and isn't impacting decision with respect to his roster spot. The man is a global icon. All kinds of stuff runs off that...those who stand nearby benefit.

And that stretches beyond mere endorsement dollars.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The reason I do not believe the injury is serious or worse than suggested is because of Yao....he gave the target date....

I think that this is all about Rick not wanting to disrupt the chemistry, and using the "get him stronger" option as an out...

That way they can bring back AB first....and then bring Yao back and not disrupt the chemistry all that much.

DD

15. Sing4LTS

Sing4LTS Member

THIS! :grin:

16. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Nope, Yao showed he can play and he played well in limited minutes. Bone bruise is just a minor injury and according to Yao its cured alrdy. Now explain to me theu reason why sit him instead of playing him --- in Yaos 22 mins a game this season hes as effecient as he ever was.

17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

+1 to that. And I'll raise.

Yao's never going to get a 100% clean bill of health and Rockets' ownership/management knows it.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I was thinking no more than $2 million.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Time is ticking between now and the trade deadline. If Yao has any kind of future here, they need to get him in there as soon as he is healthy and start building this team, even if they are starting from scratch from a "chemistry" standpoint. It doesn't do you any good to preserve the current chemistry when Yao is supposed to be your centerpiece.

I think they are just taking it very slow with Yao. It's the ankle above the foot that had the major surgery... if they're not 100% sure he's ready, they're not taking any chances. If you bring him back too early, he could be in-and-out of the lineup again, and you're not building anything that way.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no I'm not qubbling over semantics. you are speaking in very general terms, I even opened your businessweek article and I didn't see anything specific to the rockets.

"all kinds of stuff runs off that" if you're going to accuse me of semantics, you're going to have to be more specific.