1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Police know if you have Auto Insurance

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Win, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Win

Win Contributing Member

I've been seeing these auto insurance adds where they say that the police can run a computer check to verify if your auto insurance is up to date. If this is so, do they run your license plate # for that info? That is what the add implies.

Not trying to say if one should or should not have auto insurance. It's the law in Texas, so that is not an issue.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not sure which ads you're talking about, but yes, in some states they can run your plates and know whether or not you have insurance. I believe the DMV manages the database.

3. fredy

fredy Contributing Member

Yes the police run the license plate # for that information. If you ever renew your registration online you can tell if your insurance electronically verifies. Not all insurances verify yet.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Well, I don't have to type in my insurance policy number when I register for my plates again... so... I will assume it's somewhere in a database the Department of Public Safety (including the Sheriff's Department, local police, etc.) can access. :eek:

5. Bigpetelikeiron

I have a friend that did not have to type in insurance information for registration and I was driving his car and got pulled over BC they ran his plates and saw he did not have insurance. This sucks...

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

If that's the case then asking for license and registration is redundant, right?

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

they can also run your plates to see if your black or illegal

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I'm sure the insurance companies are more than happy to assist the police to steal your money. Also it helps them make money.

Great deal all around!

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Forget the whole 'police can look up and see if you have insurance'. Once they DMV has full access, they know if you have insurance or not. You can count on a $50 fine per vehicle for just 1 day lapse of coverage for the first instance. And speaking of a lapse in coverage; Since the DMV will know, the insurance companies will also know if you have a lapse. This will further affect your insurance rates if you should, for whatever reason, have a lapse in coverage.

10. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

No, as you are still required to carry it with you when driving by law.

11. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

And you're required to do so because that requirement means the police can charge you with at least one more expensive fee if you fail to do so.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The carrying it in the car is totally useless if the cop doesn't validate it is real. Someone hit me who was carrying one they printed off the Internet. I told the old guy to his face I know this is completely bogus...and it sure was.

I wish there was a way to prevent people without real insurance from driving.

How effen fair is it to me that I have to pay when someone else slams into me from behind?

13. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

More like you are required to do so because if you hit me, I'm going to need the info for your insurance.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Are you saying they'll fine you for simply not having an insured vehicle, whether you drive it or not?

Fredy, If cops don't have full access to all insurance info, how can they know you don't have it? sounds like they'd only be able to confirm you do, but if it doesn't come up it could mean they just dont have access to that insurance co yet?

15. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I had a cop tell me he'd check the system for my insurance when I told him I didn't have my card. He did, and didn't cite me for anything.

16. Space Ghost

Your option is either turn in the tag/plate or pay the fine. This system already exists in some states.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Do you when will this go in effect in Texas?

18. Space Ghost

I don't know if they ever will, but since the infrastructure is setup, I would bet it will eventually happen.