1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

15 Game report card

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jonkey86, Nov 26, 2010.

1. jonkey86

jonkey86 Member

I dont post a lot, but I read these forums quite a few.

All grades range from 1 - 10, 10 being the highest.

AB: 5, Haven't seen much since he got injured, but at least he had to make the other PG guard him and he could always break down the defense with a quick dribble or two.

Luis Scola: 9, The only rockets player that has heart and will always give 110%, I just wish he made more free throws.

Courtney Lee: 6, Lee looked spectacular during the preseason, but he has lost that aggressiveness we liked in him.

Yao: 6, Havent seen him in action much, but the games he played he showed steady progress, lets hope he keeps it up

Martin: 3, This guy has no heart and I place the blame of our team becoming soft on him. His match ups seem to always blow past him leaving the big's in an awkward situation or Shane has to try and make up for his mistakes. Martin is not strong, but he is quick he should at least stay in front of his opponents. I don't care how "efficient" he is, we will not go too far with Martin being soft, being the offensive leader of this team, he needs to demand the ball during crunch time, we often find him deferring to others.

Lowry: 4, almost gave him a 5, but we all know he cant shoot, yet he still tries to shoot long range, I'm fine with 1 or 2 3pts attempts max but he should be focusing on driving to the basket and being aggressive

Ish Smith: 4, he should pass more since he is the best passer in the team

Chuck Hayes: 6, we should not expect much from him, he should stick to his defender role and stop trying to be a hero offensively, yes the last two games have been nice seeing him make some shots but we also got to see him get blocked a few times, again stick to defense

Shane: 6, I ranked him this high because we often see him trying to make up for others defensive mistakes, we have seen him become more aggressive on the offensive end, now if only some of those shots and layups would go in.

Brad Miller: 5, please get more rebounds

Jordan Hill: 7, has shown considerable promise, he is aggressive on the boards, I just wish he didn't try to shoot over defenders when looking at the basket, other than that, his back to the basket game is improving a lot.

Chase Budinger: 7, he continues to be aggressive, he cant be in a shooting slump for ever, I just with he float more under the 3 point line instead of relying on the long range shot, he has great athleticism and I believe he can create his own shot if given the chance.

Adelman: 5, he should play Courtney lee more and he should call time outs earlier instead of waiting for the other team to tie us or to take the lead.

This team needs to regain the fight within them. We need to start playing gritty defense. Its not time to panic yet, I really hate the bandwagons that jump ship at first sign of some water in the ship. You either stand by your team or you pick a new team, the Rockets need our support on the good times and the bad.

2. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Shane at 6? well anyways I'll go ahead and make my own

AB - 5, he was pretty bad to start out the season. We only forget how much we were blaming AB because he has been out as long as he has.

Luis Scola - 7, he has been awesome on O, terrible on D. Still good enough at rebounding to warrant a 7.

Courtney - 4, he has really underperformed expectations overall.

Yao - 4, can't catch a break but he is hurting us regardless

Martin - 6, he has been carrying the load offensively, but also the worst defender on the team. Nonchalant attitude is also annoying with the team as bad as it is.

Lowry - 5, Given injuries, doing the best he can probably, still needs to get back into true form.

Shane - 2, He is trying, at least, okay maybe a 3.

Budinger - 2, just because he is as bad as Shane right now.

Chuck - 5, not his fault RA plays him as much as he does, always does the best he can but wish he wouldn't drive anymore.

Brad - 5, about what was expected of him. Pretty poor defensively, with ok offense.

Jordan Hill - 7, give this man some more PT

Ish - 6, undrafted rookie playing great

Adelman - 3, some pretty poor coaching overall.

1 person likes this.
  3. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

It's hard to take you seriously when you give Budinger a 7 and give Martin a 3.

4. ezzie

ezzie Member

pretty fair assesment, although i would dock scola a few points for his defense.
    also dont know that i'd rate martin so low, night in and night out he accounts for a quarter of the offence.
    love the high marks 4 bud and hill, but i'm a U of A homer
    adelman makes me :mad:

basically too many shiny new parts and no real idea how to put them together. i just wish someone would sit the guys down and and make them watch the lakers semi-finals. maybe show them what defence and toughness looks like.

5. Rocketfanatic2

Martin might account for a quarter of our offense, but his defense accounts for a quarter of the opponent's offense. Is he really that valuable then?

6. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

maybe some of the guys on this board will say that lets wait before giving an assessment to this team..maybe 5 games more.. :grin:

7. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Feigan needs to call Martin out explicitly so that he feels the heat turned up. The dude needs to get into a crouch when he plays on defense and get active. He doesn't seem to care how pathetic his effort is.

8. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

During these first 15 games I've gone from Martin's biggest fan to his borderline biggest detractor.

9. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

I think the score is for how well are they doing compared to what is expected from them. I would give both about a 5.

10. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Its over man doesnt matter if you rate them all 10 ..... What matters is the W .....

Oh yes its just damn god awful losing but to the no O and the not so good D like last year meowies? OMFGWTFBBQ.

Oh its just the Philly game, missing yada yada players, still early .....

Keep telling yourselves that and the season is over before you know it and here goes the cycle again to another god forsaken slow offseason.

Amen

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Budinger has been terrible!!
    Martin and scola are the only things that work on this team so far!

12. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

My grade:

Rockets: F
    Rick Adelman: F
    Daryl Morey: Incomplete

we're not winning. we should be winning. who's gonna step up? coach A, this is on you. no more excuses like 'players aren't executing', it's your job to get them to execute. JVG always had the team prepared to play. Why can't you do the same?

1 person likes this.
  13. mrjuandiego1988

can i use poop as a unit of measurement for this rockets team? :p

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yikes, didnt think it'd be this long

Aaron Brooks: 5 - He's 0-5 and injured. But we're seeing that its not all Brooks's doing as to why the team is struggling.

Yao: 4 - Gets a bonus point for working so hard to get back and at least providing false hope. Otherwise his 24 minute cap and injury issues affects chemistry too much, and he's been a non-factor.

Luis Scola: 8.5 - Should get a 9 for performing up to his contract and being a 20-10 guy. He really tries on defense but just does not have the quick feet to defend well. He's definitely part of the defensive problems.

Kevin Martin: 6 - He is scoring like the Kevin Martin of year's past. Just didnt think everything else would be SO DEficient. (And you sense he's not THAT guy to call a team meeting to get things straight). He's part of the IDENTITY of the team as a go-to guy, so without a doubt he shares in the blame regardless of his efficiency.

Shane Battier: 3.5 - Expectations are generally low for Battier to begin with. He's rebounding and blocking shots about the same, defense is adequate. He is giving more effort on offense but its just NOT WORKING. His offense is SHOT to where he actually is a zero on offense.

Kyle Lowry: 6 - Inspired play of late gave team a brief lift. Gets a point over Brooks because Brooks is winless and Lowry isnt. He still has shooting issues and hasnt stopped opposing guards how I'd like.

Courtney Lee: 5.5 - Lee is quietly shooting 44% FG and 40% from 3. I think he's just what he is, an adequate backup shooting guard getting paid just a little over 1 million. Still there were higher expectations of Lee to provide a little more than he's doing. He still might be trending up more than he is down.

Chase Budinger: 3 - Just straight sucking. He keeps firing from outside but he shoud be looking to attack the basket more (even if he is getting blocked). Cannot stop bigger stronger opponents. Nagging injury issues, the worst sophomore slump in the league. Our small forwards are really scuffling.

Chuck Hayes: 5 - Doing what he's supposed to do being a reliable veteran option. Shown considerable improvement in his offense. I'd still like to see Chuck as a situational player, but that'll only happen if Yao's minutes increases or the coaches elect to go with other guys.

Brad Miller: 5 - He's got great knowlege of the offense, still can shoot. Slow plodding body and crappy defense makes him a liability most the time. Not as bad as he's made out to be but still part of the problem.

Jordan Hill: 7 - He's leading the team in FG%, improved his effort on the floor, getting a grasp of NBA basketball, providing much needed athleticism. A better game player than a practice player. Definitely trending up and NEEDS MORE TIME than 15 minutes a game.

Ish Smith: 5 - Pleasant surprise as an undrafted free agent rookie. Bad shooter, elite quickness, good passing ability, not as good in halfcourt. I do think his fast break ability is that good where it deserves more trials with the 2nd team - put athletes on the floor with Ish, just give Ish the ball and let him create and pass.

Rick Adelman: 4 - Curious rotations and substitutions (Von Wafer nods). Players havent given him much, maybe given too many good-not-great players to juggle around. Could stand to tighten the rotation. His offensive focus partly to blame for lack of DEFENSIVE identity. Regardless, I think he should bench Battier, play Lee, Hill and Budinger more, don't be afraid to keep Martin on the bench in closing time.

15. jonkey86

jonkey86 Member

I rated Martin that low because he is one of the veterans in this team and he is not acting like one. I don't care if he scores 16, if his opponent scores 16, he essentially scored 0.

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Brooks- incomplete - rockets really miss him on the floor scoring and running the offense. Especially miss his ability to get his own shot late in the game since Lowry can't and Martin misses 4th qtr shots.

Martin- c+ - scoring is good. D not so much.
    battier- d+ - flashes of being good on O and signs that if Bud wasn't shooting so bad he'd be on the bench.

Scola- a - best rocket on the court every night.

Yao- incomplete- hurt again but showed signs early that he'd be ok on offense and still a step slow on d but we still need his size in the middle.

Lowry- b- good effort just not well rounded enough to be a starter every night.

Buddigner-c- better on D this season. Needs to attack the basket when the 3 isn't falling.

Lee- c- reserve who isn't as good as Ariza. Needs to attack and stop chunking up shots off balance

Hayes - b - if only he was 3 inches taller and realized he's not a low post threat. Stick to put backs and pick and rolls on O.

Miller - c - better than nothing and has played well at times, other times shows his age. Runs the O well.

Hill- c+ - getting better and showing he can be a rotation player.

ish- b - plesant surprise of the season but still room to improve

Taylor - Inc.
    Jeffries- Inc.
    Patterson- Inc.

Coach - D - sub paterns whack in 4th of games. Timeouts could be used better. Hard to deal with injuries but he better get use to it.

DM - b- team is deep and has talent. Should be working the phones to shake things up. Time will tell if this grade is going up or down.

17. Damion Laverne

They all get 1's and F's in my opinion; they are losing a lot of games in the 4th quarter as it is.

18. BradMiller

BradMiller Member

What the devil? A 5? A FIVE?!?! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? HUH? DAT BOI B DRIVIN ME CRAZEH FENCIN TER MAH ME GO OUTA MAH COMON

19. Gertso

Gertso Member

15 game review...

bad/10

20. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Giving Budinger a 7 is just mind-boggling. He's paid to make shots. He's not making them. Seems like you're grading him on potential and everyone else on performance. Seems like everyone agrees on Jordan Hill, though. He's been a real nice surprise. More playing time is in order. The thing is, he plays at our deepest position.