1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If there was an NBA expansion draft, which Rockets players would you protect?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Georock

Georock Member

Is there a way to make it a poll? I think it would be interesting to see the percentages.

2. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Luis Scola
    Kevin Martin
    Aaron Brooks
    Jordan Hill
    Chase Budinger
    Patrick Patterson
    Courtney Lee
    Ishmael Smith

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

For the people choosing to protect Ishmael Smith over say.. Yao Ming, do you really think half the league even knows who Ishmael Smith is?

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If I remember correctly from the last expansion draft, FAs were not eligible to be drafted. Applying that here would essentially protect Yao, Battier, Jefferies, Hayes, and Brooks from the draft.

Protect:

• Luis Scola
    • Kevin Martin
    • Ish Smith
    • Chase Budinger
    • Kyle Lowry
    • Jordan Hill
    • Courtney Lee
    • Patrick Patterson

FAs:

• Yao Ming
    • Aaron Brooks
    • Shane Battier
    • Chuck Hayes
    • Jared Jeffries

Unprotected:

• Jermaine Taylor
    • Brad Miller

Good luck to Las Vegas!

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Pretty much the same for me.

6. lionaire

lionaire Member

Is that really how the expansion draft works?

7. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Yao Ming
    Luis Scola
    Kevin Martin
    Aaron Brooks
    Chase Budinger
    Jordan Hill
    Patrick Patterson

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Is the goal to pick your best players.

Is this happening mid season or offseason.

If its mid season is there strategy regarding expiring contracts.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

right now those are the guys I would protect if I could choose only 8

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree with this. When I was considering it, all I could think about is how badly this team needs a 2-for-1 type trade. BTW, nice breakdown, Nike... I'd probably protect Yao instead of Ish (despite the salary/injury issues) and would struggle on the Lee/Lowry decision, but would probably go Lee because Lowry may be passed on because of his contract.

This is just hypothetical, so it's more of a "right now" type situation. But to address that, I think in Charlotte's expansion draft the rule was that unrestricted free agents did not need to be protected nor could they be picked. However, restricted free agents did need to be protected. If they were unprotected and selected by the expansion team, they became unrestricted free agents.

Hayes over Budinger? That's one I hadn't seen. Interesting. Why?

11. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

As Clutch said, this team needs a 2 for 1 or meyba even 3 for 1 type of deal badly. Too many good players and none great is the reason why this team struggles IMO.

12. thething

thething Contributing Member

I omitted all bad contracts and old guys that an expansion team would never want. I omitted Yao because losing him would give us a huge trade exception that is really attractive to financially strapped teams.

I'm tempted to omit Scola or Martin because of their age and contracts, but they are too valuable and I could see an expansion team going for one of them.

This leaves me with 9 guys I would want to protect. The last cut ended up being JT. It came down to him, Lee, and Ish. JT probably won't get a lot of playing time in the future so I went with him.

Protected

* Luis Scola
    * Kevin Martin
    * Aaron Brooks
    * Chase Budinger
    * Jordan Hill
    * Courtney Lee
    * Ish Smith
    * Patrick Patterson

Unprotected
    * Yao Ming
    * Shane Battier
    * Jermaine Taylor
    * Chuck Hayes
    * Brad Miller
    * Jared Jeffries
    * Kyle Lowry

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Fully agree. I think there would be few people at this point who disagree.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Bud is a great offensive player but players like him are probably easier to find through the draft then a guy like Chuck who can guard any position.

Chuck's hustle, preparation and professionalism is also something that translates to the locker room and practices and not just on the floor. Assuming that whoever is replacing the player(s) selected in the expansion draft are rookies/d-league players Chuck would be a far greater influence on them. We've seen him already help out the younger guys at the summer league this year he would be the perfect mentor imo.

Thats not something you can find in a lot of players in the NBA Chuck's success in the NBA came purely from hard work and making the most of out of his limited talents and athleticism...you cant pass on natural talent onto other players but you can pass on your work ethic.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Trouble is; there doesn't seem to be many #1's available. I really don't like our Melo odds, and I don't think the Hornets would trade CP3 to a divison rival. Iguoldala, although a very good player, has proven he can not be the primary offensive weapon during the post AI era in Philly. We might be able to get Granger if Indiana really likes Paul George, but I'm still not totally convinced he can be a number one option ethier.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Weird to see that people would protect Ish Smith over Yao Ming. I guess the money reasons make some sense.

17. superchinees

superchinees Member

Okay I didn't know that, then I my case Patterson will probably picked up. I also think Hill is a better prospect than Patterson but anyways.

I think Hill is better because:
    1) He started playing basketball in mid teens I believe and still is good player. So he learned quick and has great basketball instincts IMO*.
    2) He has perfect height for PF and as part-time C**
    3) Very athletic***
    4) Higher ceiling I think****.

* I don't think he learns slow. It's more the opposite I think, because he has improved his midrange jumper and go-to move in the post. And this year he has to play the C position instead of PF. He has played pretty good as a C so far this year.
    ** Can guard PFs and most C. So he is versatile.
    *** Can out run most PF and definitely Cs. Dunks easily. Has a great and fast hop for rebounding and tip off. Can block or alter shots.
    **** He can improve a lot in every aspect, he just need PT. The more he play the more consistent he will get. Also his rhythm and timing will improve (better rebounding and blocking)

So thats why I think he should be in this case be protected. To be honest I haven't seen Patterson in action a lot. So he could be better than Hill, I don't know. Hill just needs to focus/concentrate more and also bring it harder during training. Then the organization will change his mind.

BTW Hill needs to get the ball more often... especially after turnovers. He runs faster than Battier maybe Kevin Martin :p . I have seen him post up alot after turnovers but never gets the ball (I mean really deep in the paint almost under the basket). He needs to get more touches. And please use Hill for you pick and roll plays. I really think he can be the next Stoudemire kind of player.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yoyo, hayes is very easy to find. Let me ask you this, would you rather have hayes or bo outlaw? Hayes is a situational player vs chase who can be a starter or at minimum a rotation player.

19. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

I can't really understand why any of you would choose either Battier or Ish Smith.

20. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Yao
    Hill
    AB
    Scola
    Pat
    Ish
    Chase
    Lee

50/50 on Yao but I ended up concluding that the Rockets would become completely irrelevant if Yao was off the team (Like currently).