1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GMAT Prep Course

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jackfruit, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

I am strongly considering enrolling into a GMAT Prep Course. I have been looking at Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc.

Any suggestions on a good GMAT course to enroll in? Thanks in advance.

2. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

Old friend, prep courses are for the lazy folk. It's more babysitting as the actual content is not overly difficult. I think if you can commit yourself to taking about 2-3 actual GMAT timed tests (spring for these), and do drills for a few hours a week from the Official GMAT Book for like 3 weeks, you would be good to go. Shoot me an email, I have some study materials.

If you're going to take a course, I hear PowerScore is crap and that the only one worth going to is Veritas.

BTW, Anand is currently at Sloan, Wren at Wharton, we got friends at HBS, and I went to Kellogg. So you're up baller, haha.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I am going to send an email as I plan on taking the GMAT sometime next year. Would you provide the study material to me as well?

4. huypham

Sure Pun.

1 person likes this.
  5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Take timed tests.

The material is pretty straightforward. You can download a free test from MBA.com

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Prep courses are indeed for the lazy.

An MBA, however, seems like a terrible investment at this point...

7. huypham

Agree/Disagree Danny. If you're not paying, it's always a good idea. If you are paying, it's more important than ever to go to a good school. ROI at a tier 2 school is hard to justify.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That's kind of assumed/factored into the equation.

9. huypham

Ha, you said "it seems like a terrible investment at this point", and my point was, like you said, it's an equation with other variables. The answer is more, it depends.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Yep. If you're not going to a top-20 school, it's not worth the $40k/yr investment.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

If something is free, you're not really "investing" much. The logical assumption is that in most cases, you're paying for school. Don't be obtuse dude.

12. huypham

I'm not being obtuse. I'm agreeing with Baqui up there, you got to go to a top school for it to make sense. Then it makes sense, even if you're paying for it.

13. Lil Pun

I'll be paying for it but since I work at the school I get a very nice discount. Email sent.

14. Lil Pun

Materials received. Repped.

Thanks! :)

15. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

hmm, what about an MS in Accounting? Better than an MBA right? ;)

16. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I don't know if your being serious or not, but I have actually heard that getting your masters in a specific area is a lot better than an MBA with a concentration?

17. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I just got this email today from Manhattan GMAT:

We would like to share with you a special offer for the upcoming holiday season.* We are pleased to provide a $200 discount on all 9-week GMAT prep courses beginning between November 1st and December 31st, 2010.* This is our biggest discount of the year, so if you've been thinking about taking a class, now is the time to do it!**

To redeem this special $200 discount on one of our remaining classes of the year, simply enter the code HDMG10 when registering online, or contact our Student Services team to sign up over the phone.* This offer is valid on any of our 9-week in-person or Live Online courses.*(Please note that this offer cannot be applied to any special programs or combined with other promotions.)*

18. lookitsme

lookitsme Member

If you're looking for a good GMAT prep course, and you can afford it, I would recommend Testmasters. They're cheaper, and they're better than most Test Prep companies.

I have a 25 dollar off coupon for Testmasters. AND if you sign up for the class ONE weeks earlier in advance, you get another 25 dollars off.

For more information, go to testmasters.com

Good luck with your GMAT

coupon code:1728772182

19. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

Good hearing as always from you, old friend. We need to hook up sometime and catch up.

Thanks for the study materials.

20. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I work for TestMasters. Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if I can get a deal for you.