1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

how long can scola keep this up?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by devin23, Nov 7, 2010.

1. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Luis has elite level footwork, with a rugged mentality and a championship resume.

But what really sets him apart from other people of his ability is his willingness to take on any role for the team without complaining, even if it means lower stats--kinda like Manu is willing to come off the bench despite being a top SG.

1 person likes this.
  2. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

He got 2 steals last game and took them for fast breaks and both resulted in free throws. He has also had pretty good low post defense as of lately.

3. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Coca Scola Classic

4. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Don't know why everyone is picking on his defense, its not great, but he's always been adequate in that area. It really the TEAM defense that is sucking at the moment, hence a record matching the Craptors.

If some of the athletic freaks in the league had the basketball IQ of Scola's, they'd all be superstars in the league, that's the level this guy plays at mentally. What he gets out of his game with his limited physical abilities is simply AMAZING!!!!!!

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

A solution to the 4th quarter woes is to ride Scola to finish end. He is NOW our best player, with a reliable shot, good ft shooter, and a myriad of moves around in the paint.

Right now, I would take Scola over Yao as far as pecking order to get the ball in the last 5 minutes of the game.

I suspect our win total would be quite higher than what it is now had Scola been the go-to guy.

6. dartherus

dartherus Member

FWIW, Scola's number PER MINUTE, are similar since his second NBA season, when Rockets made the Lakers get into the 7th game.....

He was clearly the MVP of those entire playoffs, even Morey and Adelman said it in public,,,,

Last year, after the Landry trade, he got more minutes, so his number were up (about 20/10), this year he's showing more progress, as teammates are more aware of his value....

Check his game, when Scola gets the ball, if he doesn't shoot with high %, he'll pass the ball to the best positioned teammate .....

In fact, one of the problems with the Rockets in the recent past was too much relying in outside scoring, sometimes ignoring wide open isnide players....

And age? remember, he's unbreakable, he hasn't missed one single game since arriving to NBA, despite his intensity and hustle....

He'll be somehow like Nash, his best years are arriving....

7. dartherus

dartherus Member

Agree, Scola's defense is far better than what he's hyped... I remembergames where he guarded Dirk and Amare quite well.... I'm sure you can remember such games too....

Besides, with the crappy perimeter D, having 2 guards like Brooks and Martin at the same time, even a tandem of The Dream and Rodman at their prime, would have many troubles in D.

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I think 19 and 10 is reasonable. Great pick and roll defender, but terrible one on one defender and nonexistent help defender.

9. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I think he and Martin are the most reliable scorers on the team. Infact Luis seems to come through in the clutch alot lately.

10. parmesh

parmesh Member

Scola is not just a role player. Dude is a bona fide international superstar. If you think any less of hi...well you are just wrong. He ain't perfect (but who is?), but he is awesome as is, and we are VERY lucky to have nabbed him. He'll keep it up as long as the Rockets ask him to in order to win.

11. parmesh

parmesh Member

LOL @ those who say Scola's defense is "horrble" or "terrble." You only say that because he's foreign really. Yes, he has a glaring weakness against bigs with jumpers and huge guys but I have yet to see him give up on D. He just goes all out all the time. I dare say he's a solid PnR defender, a good scrappy 1-on-1 defender. Just not a great team/help defender.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

All I need to hear ...is.....

"HE IS BETTER THAN BOSH"

And my day will be complete...

;)

DD

13. parmesh

parmesh Member

Agreed. I think in terms of being a team player he is superior to Bosh. By that, I mean that out of the two, if one of those guys has to give up stats, but still put 110% and bring the intangibles you'd have to be stupid not to take Scola.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He is not better than Bosh.

He really needs to improve his D. Its so strange too because defense is all hustle, Luis is a hustle guy, but is not a good defender.

15. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

And his is clutchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The guy come with some big baskets late in games.

I like to see a lot more of Pick and Pop late the guy is money.

16. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

"Never Underestimate the Heart of A Champion"

Rudy T.
    :)

17. kuato

kuato Member

Like i allways say (and you can search it) , just pass the ball to Scola !!!

18. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

because of his summer play he is in mid season form while many people are still getting up to speed.