1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ish Smith appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The hammer being your head, the nail being in the wall.

;)

1 person likes this.
  2. rocketsmetalspd

The more pt Ish gets his shot will continue to improve. He already has control of the flow of the offense. He does not rush and his passes are very nice. His D is the thing that I like, he is always in front of his man. I hope the next 3 are W's for the team. 4-5 by the end of the week would be great.

3. RyanB

RyanB Member

he is a true point guard
    1) excellent court vision
    2) unbelievable passer
    3) quick
    4) overall he controls the game, a true distributor like an orchestra chief

he has to improve his defense and shooting

i could easily see him being an all star in 2 years

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Funny Deck.

You watch what happens when teams have scouted how poor a shooter Ish is and packs the paint around Yao.

DD

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

How long before Ish become a "darkhorse for the all-star team", Clyde?

6. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

Dish "Don't Call Me Ishmael" Smith

Nice ring to it.

7. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Morey gets in on the love via twitter (twitter.com/dmorey)

"Executed the game plan for the W. Consistency is key to turn the corner. @yaoming progressing well. Ish w/32 gr8 passes & only 1 bad so far."

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i hope i'm wrong about Ish because i dont want to come in here in a few games and see the tidal wave of flip flopping that's gonna happen when teams begin to play him differently and he doesnt look like the guy many think he already is.

And lebigeez, i agree....like i mentioned in another thread, wouldnt mind seeing rafer come in at this point, now that we have martin at SG and guys who can run....he'll be able to teach Smith a lot as well, since he's more like him and Brooks/lowry are not.

9. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

The idea that Ish is going to be like a deer-in-headlights on the perimeter "after teams have scouted him" is inaccurate in my opinion. He has great bball IQ, superior speed and play-making ability. He'll just penetrate and dish until he develops his shot.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He's looking pretty good for an undrafted rookie and for a 3rd string point guard. But, I thought he lost us that San Antonio game. San Antonio took advantage of him to score. And he suddenly decided to take the team on his shoulders when we really needed a basket at the end of regulation and overtime. Even with Yao, Brooks, and Martin out of the game, I still don't want Ish to be my crunch-time scorer.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's not that he's going to break down or mess up...he just won't be as influential in the offense....He's not going to make a lot of mistakes, other than missing shots he probably shouldnt have taken, because he either makes safe passes or passes planned ahead of time. You can tell, even on the fancy passes, that he's thinking of it and timing it well before he does it. Thats why he's made 38 great passes and only one bad one.

Look at him in the halfcourt. He almost never penetrates, and when he does he usually doesnt get much further than the free throw line. His playmaking ability is really cut back in the halfcourt when he's forced to just run the offense. If you take that playmaking ability away, almost entirely, by pressing him and/or picking him up earlier, then what does he have left in the halfcourt? He'll pretty much have to just pass to the wings to start the offense, where he's pretty much ignored unless he gets left for a wide open shot.

The only other option left is the pick and roll, but even that is limited to him always passing to the guy rolling because he cant be a threat to shoot or score at the rim...if the guy rolling is scola, then that's not a bad option to be limited to, but it's not something brooks, lowry, or even lee can't do, so Ish won't be injecting his own style/skills as much, and therefore his influence is limited.

12. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

He reminds me of Avery Johnson. Very quick, distributes and elite handles in which he doesnt turn the ball over much. We might want to consider deciding real soon after these games are up for Brooks injury who is the point guard of the future here. Brooks is due a contract. Lowry has a pretty hefty one already. Ish is starting to show he is NBA ready.

13. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Ish Smith the 6ft version of Rajon Rondo.

14. Superdave532

Superdave532 Member

Yes sir.
    From now on his nickname is Dish

15. worzel gummidge

Ish's college stats do hint at his potential to be able to hit those shots inside. Until he does start making those baskets he is Rafer with better passing.

[​IMG]

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Watched the highlights on CF.net of last nights game, that's the first I've seen of Ish. Dude looked LEGIT out there. It was only the T-Wolves.....but his passing was crisp, never picked up his dribble, and made good decisions with the ball.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Those stats are ATROCIOUS in shooting, consisering each team plays about 10 or more cream puffs every year.

I mean yuck !

DD

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Chis Paul averaged 47.1% FG while at Wake.... :confused:

19. bloop

bloop Member

well what this thread has convinced me is that Ish is a legit point.

all this about his shooting proves that no one can find a fault with other parts of his game like TOs and ability to pass cuz now we gotta be talking about stuff like his college shooting %

most guys learn to shoot in the NBA. straight up you all know that most players do. as long as he's not jacking up shots he cannot make like rafer, it's reasonable to assume that he'll work and develop a respectable open shot.

not saying this dude is an all-star but how can you be a fan and not appreciate the athleticism and passing he displayed so far this season? if nothing else he brings something that no one else on the rosters does to the team

20. worzel gummidge