1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Colts

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 26, 2010.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

WTF is he saying with the 0-6 on third downs.. you wouldn't be 0-6 on third downs if you ran the ball more... maybe established the run game early... but nope.. first drive... 3 and out.. all passing.. 2nd drive... pretty much the same other than 1 first down.. then eventually Schaub threw a pick 6. Establishing a run game early maybe would've put you on those 3rd and short situations and then maybe you could convert some of those bootlegs, pa's, and slants.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Somewhere else, right now...Bob McNair is blissfully unaware.

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

We should have traded our 2011 first and Jacoby Jones for Aso and then drafted Dez Bryant...in hindsight.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This. We're 0-6 on third down bc we continually were put in a third and long situation.

Pick 6 was on first down. Sounds like excuses. I'm sick of Kubiak.

I'm predicting way too many rushing attempts this week. Dude just doesn't get it.

5. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I'm not surprised that the stats say 26-8 pass on first drives. As soon as the Texans lined up for their first snap, the first thing that came to my mind was "Yep. They're going to throw it." And that's exactly what they did. The Colts knew it too.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't even remember a game in which they actually gave the ball to Arian Foster on the first snap.

6. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Actually, on the very first play of the game, it was a designed run, but I Schaub changed it to a pass to AJ for 11 yards. On the relpay, you can even see the lineman run blocking and Foster coming up expecting the ball. I guess that ONE play gave Kubiak too much confidence.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

More often than not, we start off with 2 passes, if not 3. If our first drive peters out quickly, that slants things heavily in favor of the pass.

We did give Foster 2 carries to start off the Chiefs game. But he only gained 3 yards Schaub couldn't connect on 3rd and 7 and we punted.

Here's how our first drives have gone this season.

Indy - 3 passes to start, 5 passes/3 runs overall. Result: Rackers FG
    @Was - 3 passes - INTERCEPTION
    Dal - 3 passes to start, 5 passes/1 run overall. Result: PUNT
    @Oak - 3 passes to start, 4 passes/2 runs overall. Result: Derrick Ward TD.
    NYG - 4 passes (1 sack). Result: PUNT
    KC - 2 runs to start. 1 pass. PUNT
    @Ind - 4 passes. PUNT

In 6 of the 7 games we've opened up with 3 passes. We actually ran more to start the game last season.

This is a trend. If I'm an opponent, I'm banking on pass being Kubiak's first play call. For all his talk of wanting to be balanced, he clearly tries to establish the pass first. That's not necessarily bad but when when you do it every game, it becomes really predictable.

Want to bet that until he was given that stat in the press conference, Kubiak had no clue how pass heavy his opening drives usually are?

Honestly, I do think Kubiak has some runs scripted. Our opening drives just rarely last long enough to get to them after the obligatory 3 or 4 passes.

#1307 Cannonball, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Hmmm, using THAT analogy, my great-great-great children should be still alive when fortunes finally get reversed...

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You know what? I actually had the same reaction as yours. I wasn't surprised by what I saw on the field. After 4 years of Kubiak's questionable decisions and mediocre Denver style football nothing I see from the Texans surprises me any more.

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Kubiak called a running play yet?