1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grizzlies give a huge extension to Mike Conley

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GreatOne1978, Nov 1, 2010.

1. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

You don't know what you are talking about so just stop.

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Rockets weren't relevent with Yao and T-Mac injured last year. Why do a kelvin cato after a good preaseason and 3 games, only to ask for concessions and have a lockout?

3. Steve_Francis_rules

Wow, the Celtics managed to sign Rondo long term for roughly the same money that the Grizz are giving Conley. And that was after Rondo had a breakout postseason two years ago, IIRC.

That just shows the difference between these two franchises and why the Grizzlies will never be contenders.

4. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

That doesn't mean he isn't overpaid. Add Raymond Felton to that list. These are guys mired in perpetual mediocrity who keep the market inflated and cause lockouts. I have no problems giving guys like Chris Paul and Deron Williams $15 million a year, but you have to put a value on guys who don't have the killer instinct or versatile skill set to perform in tight situations. The guys who can't go above and beyond and merely play out a role that doesn't severely impact winning and losing.

Conley earned this contract from 2 months of average basketball and terrible management. Only time will tell whether he really did come out too early, but in order to keep parity in this league, you need a longer track record to get a potential cap killing contract.

5. dexkk

dexkk Member

DING DING DING!!!
    Rondo at 9m is a bargain.
    Conley at 9m is a disaster.

Rondo > Conley or Brooks.

6. MemphisX

You sir are an idiot.

Rondo signed for 5 years/$55 million
    Conley signed for 5 years/$40 million

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rondo should be making atleast double whatever Conley is getting.

A small market team will not be able to afford

Rudy Gay
    Zach Randolph
    OJ Mayo
    Mike Conley
    Marc Gasol

Say goodbye to two of these players... Mayo and Randolph, IMO...

Darrell Arthur looks solid though... He can step in for Z-Bo. Xavier in for OJ?

8. dexkk

dexkk Member

I'm sorry, Rondo at 5 years/55 million is a bargain.

9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Conley will be a good pt guard for a long time....He'll never be Deron Williams or Chris Paul by any means...Dont underestimate the importance of a floor general....He would be great with the Rockets...he is a better shooting Rafer Alston......and yall know that was the only bad thing about Skip...otherwise he was the ideal PG for that Rockets team........Dont front !!!!

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

9 million is a lot of money. I wouldn't have a problem if he had last 2 month's numbers all season.

Maybe Conley argued that if he's gonna take less money next season, he might as well find another city to get a reduced salary.

He's on my fantasy team. Hope he stays hungry.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Exactly right and it will negatively impact the Rockets' season. I guess Morey thinks it's worth it though.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He would be wrong......and it shows the rest of the league that not only do the Rockets have a center with glass feet but they are also cheapskates.

Not a fan of this at all.

DD

13. Steve_Francis_rules

Why should they overpay for Brooks now when it would hurt Brooks' trade value this year and the team has no idea what the next CBA will look like? So that they don't look like cheapskates? Sounds more like they're trying not to look like idiots.

I'd trust Morey on this over some internet wannabe GMs anyday.

14. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Was he going to be a RFA at the end of this season? If so, this has to be one of the dumbest moves in NBA history.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank the heavens for Daryl Morey...

16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

17. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I've always maintained he was way overrated during his college years. Every time I saw him play I wondered what the hell was I missing? I thought it was over but I guess not.

18. DaJet

DaJet Member

Greg Oden made him into a legit PG.

But who would have thought 3 years down the line that Conley would be the one with the contract and Oden might be without a job after this season.

19. MemphisX

Conley contract details

20. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

So a 5 year 40 Mil max raise contract. I guess if Conley is to become a RFA, teams that really want him(in case a breakout season this year) would put some similar contract but front-loaded contract to make it harder for Griz to match.

For me 45 and 40 does make a big difference.
    40 sounds like a bit over MLE, but 45 sounds like elite but not superstar money.