1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Surprise Team of 2002-03 Season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shooter1583, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I'm not sure if this thread has already been done, but a lot of teams have improved this season, particularly in the Eastern Conference. I think Chicago will be the surprise team of this year, and I even think they'll be in contention for the eighth playoff spot in the East. What do yall think?

2. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

I wouldn't put my money on it. Chandler and Curry are still too young to have that big of an impact. I think they will be in the LeBron James sweepstakes.

3. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Since the Clippers wouldn't really be a surprise this year if they made the playoffs, i guess i'll go with the Hawks...who'll be a top 5 east conference team.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Up until DerMarr's accident, I would have said the Hawks.

Theo back, Big Dog Robinson added and Darvin Ham signed.

They still may surprise given that Zo's out, the Bucks look in disarray, Raptors lost Clarke, & Cleveland lost Miller.

Plus, don't they have some kind of ticket refund if they don't make the playoffs?

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There won't be any surprise teams in the Leastern Conference. Just less dissapointing. :p

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Depending on fitness and how quickly the players can gel in, I would pick the Rockets as the surprise team of the season.
    Having Yao and Nachbar with Taylor returning and a fully fit Francis could make us the team that nobody wants to play.

7. WarF

WarF Member

The surprise team will be the Golden State Warriors... yes, they'll actually win more than 25 games!

Seriously, they really underachieved last season, and the new coach Musselman will help them realize more of their potential.
    I'll go way out on a limb and predict they'll win 35 games, which would surprise nearly everyone.

Now I should confess that I'm a long time Warriors fan, and have suffered these delusions before, but still...

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

That's a scary thought. Could you imagine

PG: Jay Williams
    SG: Lebron James
    SF: Jalen Rose
    PF: Tyson Chandler
    C: Eddie Curry

:eek:

That will definately be the team of the future.

9. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

my suprise team is the wizards

acquired an allster, haywood is a powerful energetic budding C
    and an overall decent squad to complement all round

my ultimate no suprise team - denver

they will suck like no team has sucked before... just like everyone expected them to suck.

look for one of the worst records in nba history

10. tigereye

tigereye Member

The Houston Rockets will be the suprise of the season. Everyone in the media seems to bash us all the time. In fact, they bash all Houston teams and dont give us a chance in hell to win. Where's the love??? And when we win it all like we did in 94-95, I never saw a Sports Illustrated championship video, photo album, free t-shirt etc... but every other team got one, even the freakin Spurs for cryin out loud. Well, we shut them up when they predicted Cowboys would beat the Texans, and we will do it again this season with the Rockets. nuff said!!!!!

P.S. Sports Illustrated sucks anywayz. Thats why your lame sports network CNNSI got pulled off the air. Besides I dont want your stinkin video.

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I honestly believe it could be the Rockets, because I think they could finish as high as fifth in the western conference.

12. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

The biggest suprise will probably be the Hawks becoming the number one team in the East. They have a bunch of players coming off injuries, and they added a great player in Glen Robinson.

Besides the Rockets, this team will probably have one of the largest changes in the W-L column compared to last year.

13. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Milwaukee Bucks. Rebound from ass-kicking with something to prove. Good-riddance, big woof.

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The'Surprise team of the Year'? Just think, most of the Basketball Mags. have been degrading the Rox so much. I think that the Rox are going to SHOCK many fans on their inbeaten streak to start the season, that Teams won't relish their trip to Texas. The Rox are going to exhibit great team defence and play top offensive Team Basketball. The Rox will dominate the Basketball News and every Fan will know our sting and our Stars!!

15. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I think that the Rockets will be the suprise team of the season. Francis will improve his leadership abilities, Ming will have an awesome rookie season, and Eddie and Cat will pick up where they left off last season.