1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arenas fined $50,000 for faking an injury.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by k-money, Oct 15, 2010.

1. k-money

k-money Member

really?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5689344

2. snc

snc Member

I laughed.

Man, not long ago, Gilbert was one of my favourite players. He was always exciting to watch and was a really unique player/personality. Lately, this dude has just been *****ing up.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

he needs to be on suicide watch...he's pretty much already decided basketball doesnt mean much to him anymore

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Has me wondering if the Rockets could fine McGrady for faking health last year.

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

[​IMG]

6. Steve_Francis_rules

Yeah, the guy is clearly suicidal if he's decided that basketball doesn't mean that much to him anymore.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Sounds like you're not familiar with the immense love Arenas has said he had for basketball, as well as different unusual things he's done in recent history. On top of that he's showing signs of depression lately.

I didn't think i had to point out things that were well publicized or evident.

8. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

And what happened to #0. I dunno why he would change his number to 9. It's like T-mac changing his number to 3. I see a trend here.

9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I don't understand why he would do this, I know he wants his teammate to get more playing time, but at least why tha hell on earth tell the reporters it was fake, what was he thinking...? :confused: :confused:

10. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Poor guy, I really do think he should be on suicide watch. I don't want an Eddie Griffin to happen again.

11. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

It's not just that he's f**king up, he's not even acknowledging his errors. He thinks it's just the media or the league or his management blowing things out of proportion. That means, he's going to continue f**king up.

You can't correct yourself if you don't think you have a problem.

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You know life is good, when you can call in a "sick day", be charged $50k for saying it was all a lie on the internet, and still not worry about money.

If it was anybody else, they would be canned or broke after the fine.

13. Francis 4 ever

He reminds me of Ricky Williams. All the talent in the world, but misunderstood personality.

I think he makes a lot of jokes that cross the thin line he has earned through repeated goofs.

I think he just sat out a preseason game like most stars frequently do and made a joke that he "faked the injury" so young could play like a big brother trying to take credit from his little brother by jokingly saying "i taught him that" or something like that.

People need to lay off him. He needs a new environment fast.

I know I'll get bashed for this but houston is a perfect place for him. Not a huge city with a lot of distractions, a disciplinarian coach, and a very mature and respectful team. Then again he plays erratically and his contract is unmovable.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

When sports try to shift with the growing nature of political correctness, there's always some fringe players previously on the edge who fall over it.

Arenas is quirky, which really doesn't mesh with the new nba.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This is immediately what I thought.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

I don't think this makes him suicidal.

In fact I think this is more of the old Gilbert trying to come out. He laughed about it to the media.

17. lionaire

lionaire Member

I agree that people are blowing this out of proportion. Suicide? Calm down guys. You're acting like he's getting made of his sexuality by bullies. :grin:

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

dude, it's nothing to grin about...

Maybe it's reaching...but this is why when people commit suicide it takes people by suprise and then they realize all the clues they could have put together.

1. Not caring about appearance (grew beard, which he later acknowledged got pretty crappy)

2. saying he "lost all feeling a long time ago"

3. Giving away his PT, the game he loved is no longer a priority, he's losing interest.

4. Acting recklessly, gun incident

5. Getting affairs in order...saying he's just there to help out Wall now, when he's clearly shouldnt be in the "old vet as a mentor" role yet.

6. A sudden switch from being extremely depressed to acting calm and happy....which seems to be the point he's at now...going from a very quiet gilbert during media day to calm and happy lately.

I think i also read he's had trouble sleeping and gained some weight, but not sure...

If he's not depressed then he sure is acting like it.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Anyone who has known suicidal people or who has a decent background in human psychology would notice the things you mentioned above as red flags. I suspect the young age of some of the posters here and/or the fact they may have lived sheltered lives causes them to lack the experience to see a seriously depressed person when they see one.