1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier can be the Sensei, but Budinger is clearly the starter.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It's ironic since you actually need to give Battier a handicap modifier due to the fact his average mpg are against higher calibre players than Budinger does.

2. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Chase needs to prove that he's not going to get abused on the defensive end on a nightly basis before he should be considered to start. His D isn't as bad as most people think, but it's not mistake free like Battier's is.

Potential Western Conference Playoff Team's SFs:
    Lakers: Odom - much more physical player than Budinger. Not as quick as he once was so Chase would have to keep him off the offensive boards for the most part.

Dallas: Butler - bad matchup for Chase due to the fact that Caron can get to the hole. Not a post up threat for chase though.

San Antonio: Jefferson - similar to Odom in that he can play physically. Not as quick as he once was but still has some speed left in the tank.

Denver: Carmelo - No explanation here. Would you rather have Battier on him or Chase?

Oklahoma: Durant - See above.

Portland: Batum - Easiest matchup for CBud so far.

Phoenix: Hill - Still a nice offensive weapon in that system even at an advanced age.

Jazz: AK47 - Another good matchup for CBud. Doesn't have a great first step and relies on his length to score.

All in all, I'd say CBud is better coming off the bench with Lee. They are a nice duo with Lee's defense and their apparent chemistry on the offensive end. Martin is such an efficient scorer, he can take the load off of Battier being in the lineup with him.

I trust in this guy to figure it all out:
    [​IMG]

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I'm sure Battier will too lol then when Battier gets on offense he'll go stand in the corner vs what Budinger would do.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I think the Rockets created a no-win situation at SF by trading Ariza. I totally disagree with the "we already have four good offensive players" argument, so Battier can just take up space in the corner when we have the ball and put up zero to five points any given night. You know what's better than four guys who can play offense? FIVE of them! It makes it that much more difficult for the defense when they have to worry about every player on the floor making plays, slashing to the basket, trying to do something...ANYTHING! I also feel like having five active offensive players is conducive to the type of offense Adelman runs.

With big guys it's different. A no-offense player like Ben Wallace has a much bigger effect on defense than a good wing defender. There are more opportunities to affect the game near the rim than there are at the perimeter. A big man can also grab offensive rebounds that contribute to more points being scored. I'd say Bruce Bowen is a rare exception of a no-offense perimeter starter, but I don't think you can compare this Rockets team to the Spurs...they seemed to have a never-ending stream of proven veteran wing/perimeter players to pick up the slack on offense.

At the same time, you can't play Bud and Martin simultaneously against the majority of the league's starters...you just can't. This is just one of the reason I will never understand the Ariza trade from a purely basketball perspective unless they had another move in the pipeline. With Trevor you had a guy you could feel pretty confident to guard the league's starters and is active on the offensive end (yes, too active the first half of the season). We're left with a guy who is possibly the worst offensive starting wing in the league, and a guy we don't feel confident can guard opposing starting 3s. Brilliant!

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

We need some scoring and energy off the bench, so I'd keep Chase there. Remember, you need a balanced squad. Manu is easily a starter throughout his career, but the Spurs bring him off the bench for reason.

6. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Dude, take it easy. already handing off the starter role to budinger although I think he is ready to start but it's preseason and don't think battier is going to show you all he's got. He's got nothing to prove.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Battier is in a contract year, and he has not declined very much at all, that is just folks making stuff up to slam him.

He is a nice role player, and a very good team defender, if you take him out of the starting lineup, we lose our defensive QB.

Let him start, and let Chase come in gunning from the bench.

got to watch post count in this thread, because Mr. Clutch is waiting to toss it back in my face.

DD

8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

The Ariza-Battier combo at sf would have been perfect for us. Ariza would start by guarding the best sfs in the league. Battier, an older guy, would come in and sub for him.

It is really too bad Ariza was traded. Besides the LT reasons that many have alluded to, I am speculating that Ariza did not mesh very well with the rest of squad, a personality issue. I don't know but it appeared to me he was a bit sullen, arrogant (i.e. came from the Lakers championship run).

I like Courtney Lee, and I am just curious to see how well he will guard Lebron, Kobe, etc...

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I bolded the part of your post that pertains to the thread. So your opinion is that we're better off starting Battier than starting Budinger because it gives us a more balanced lineup. I agree. Now Chase may improve to the point where Shane needs to come off the bench, and it may happen before the end of this season, but as things stand right now, yes, Battier is the better option starting at the three.

Some other things to consider about both players. Battier battled injuries the last 2 seasons. He averaged about 80 games a year until 2008-9, when he played 60, and last season, when he played 67 regular season games. Budinger is a only entering his second season. Shane has been hurt and Chase is still learning. Ideally, Shane stays healthy and Chase keeps learning to the point where his play demands that he gets more minutes on the court. That happened last year and I don't see any reason it won't continue. By the second half, Battier may be one tweaked ankle from coming off the bench. Why not wait to see how things play out before making major changes? One of the reasons Ariza was moved, in my opinion, was to give the starting nod to Battier, with Budinger in the wings as the eventual successor (Ok, if we had grabbed Anthony, all that would have gone out the window, but it hasn't happened).

And this is only the preseason, folks. As has been said, savvy vets don't wear themselves out at this time of the year. They just do enough to be ready when the games count. At some point down the line, Air Bud will be doing exactly the same thing.

10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We are not the Spurs... another misconception. Nor Yao or Scola are close to what Tim Duncan was in his prime. We already lack athletism at the starting 4 and 5 position. Our starter at the 3 has to better than what Shane Battier can give us at this point.

11. DCkid

Not to mention one of those guys is only going to be playing 24 minutes a night and missing back-to-backs. Shane's offensive value drops even lower when he's not playing with Yao. I feel like we almost have to start Buddinger on the nights Yao sits out.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Guys, lay off the Ariza train, getting rid of him and that albatross of a contract was a great move by DM.

Ariza didn't fit, had a poor attitude, and was a whiny little baby. He has the "I think I am better than I am" disease......good riddance.

Let's not forget that Battier is EXPIRING this year, he is set up to be traded at the deadline this season if Chase is outplaying him, like a Brooks/Rafer situation.

Keeping Battier this season and letting him start keeps his trade value high, and it allows Chase to come in and assume the role he is best at right now. hired gun....

As for Leeb, I love the guy, think he is nails on everything EXCEPT Shane, he can not be trusted to give a decent take on anything Shane related...I think Shane must have sung to his wife and she swooned over him or something.

:grin:

DD

13. DCkid

I would almost say the Ariza-Buddinger combo would have been perfect for us. If we kept Ariza I think Battier should have only been played as a situational defensive player at the 2 and 3. I think we'd much rather have Bud coming off the bench playing the run-and-gun with Lowry than Battier. After the trade though, Battier jumps from third string to first string.

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I know Rick Adelman will make the change because he wants to win and will do what's right when necessary. Budinger is playing great for a guy with a bad ankle. I think Battier is better playing spot up minutes like Chuck Hayes because both can surprise you coming off the bench because teams don't expect much from them anyway.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Ariza

was

Terrible

16. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

We'll see... :grin:

Edit:You have a good point OP. It's a tough one for RA. I'm just glad to have both of these guys on the team.

#136 Rocket4Life11, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  17. wyo-ming

wyo-ming Rookie

shane is a pro if it happen he will act like a pro the minute split is not important &will change game to game

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

It will be interesting to watch Chase Buddinger on the defensive end of the court this year.

If Chase can develop into a solid defensive player, he looks like he could be a very solid starting small forward for the Rockets for many years to come.

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Wrong (ok, no totally).

Ariza at sg was bad.

Ariza at sf was very good. Good enough to be the sf for the Lakers. Good enough for us in his natural position after the Martin trade.

20. DCkid

fixed it for you