1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HELP] Finding a job in China

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by stonecold999, Oct 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

Guys, I need some advice desperately. My wife has recenly been offered a job in China, and we want to move our family to there. The problem is that I tried find a job on several websites, mosters, hotjobs, and etc. but did not have any luck. Could you guys please give me some advice on to look for a job in China, or anyone knows if there's any U.S company is looking for people to work in China for them?

Your useful comment/advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks again guys!

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

What type of work do you do now? Do you speak Mandarin?

3. YaosDirtyStache

Just ask the government to hook you up...they are Commies after all, which means they prob have something for you to do.

4. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

Yes, I'm actually an U.S born chinese. I'm fluent in spoke and written English, Mandarin, and Cantonese. I've been doing sales/marketing also little bit of experience on Quality & Safety.

5. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Just remember to take your bicycle, that's how they get around over there, plus it might help with your job.

6. Dei

Dei Member

Jeremy Lin?

1 person likes this.
  7. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Just out of curiosity, were you raised in the US? What is your educational background?

8. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

Yes, I was raised in the U.S. The reason I speak 3 different languages is because I went to those weekend schools to learn Mandarin when I was little, and my family taught me Cantonese at home. I have a bachelor degree in Business Management.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

You have that kind of language skills and can't find a job? I find that hard to believe. Perhaps the pay grade may not be up to your standards, but there's no reason why you can't land a job.

You only listed a couple of websites for your job searches, do those also include Chinese job sites?

10. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

I'm not expecting to get paid alot in the beginning, and I don't believe my standards are very high, (40K/Year?).. I did tried a Chinese website (www.51job.com), also no luck. That's why I don't have any clue, so frustrated!!

11. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

12. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Imo it's easy to find a job here as a foreigner (even with no work experience).
    At worst, you can get an English teaching job to pass the time, and even for those, you can get paid up to 30k/yr or more depending on what kind of crowd you're teaching (have heard of some really well-paying teach English to execs jobs).

For your salary range, I'm assuming you're not that experienced, and would say it's better to physically be here and then look for jobs rather than look for jobs abroad. You'll have to remember that expat packages are extremely rare now, and also your pay will be more closely scaled to local wages. Expect about 2/5ths to 3/5ths of what it is in the US which is about same multiple for differences in standard of living costs in large cities.

Search some expat forums of the city your wife is being relocated to.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

WoW gold farmer or English teacher

I assumed you were a white guy with the yellow fevah.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

have you tried USA jobs?

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Considering you have no connections and no previous Chinese job experience, 40k is pretty tough. It's not so much that you aren't worth it, but rather there are very few positions where they need someone like you that much. I'd rather go much lower on the first job, get a read on things, and go for a better fit in the long run.

For reference, I knew someone who graduated from UT and got a starting job at around 25k. I have had calls from companies several times for full time positions over the past year, all of which I declined due to my wish to finish school, for anywhere from 20-40k.

You have to think that you're starting from scratch here. Because you really are. Just about all your skills, short of English, are replaceable in China for a tiny, tiny fraction of what you want. If you want to stand out, you need to showcase the skills that Chinese people don't have, and companies need to make your salary worthwhile.

16. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

Totally agree with you! Again, I really don't expect high paid, I just want to settle down here in China. Forgot to mention, I'm actaully in China now, I came here first to prepare for the family. I just did not realize it's that difficult to land a job with decent salary.

17. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

What you view as decent salary ($40k) is pretty high in China. Which city are you in? If you are in the big cities like Beijing or Shanghai, then you might be able to find something that pays well. If you are in a smaller city it would be quite difficult to get paid that much.

18. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

I'm in GuangZhou, I think it's a big city. However, starting salary is not that important to me anymore. I just want to settle down here with my wife, and wants a stable job. That's all. I hope that is not too much to ask.

19. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

dude, you speak fluent english, mandarin, and cantonese

you won't have a problem finding a job