1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Y! sports]Nets Moving Closer to deal for Anthony

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The_Yoyo, Sep 24, 2010.

1. BrooksnLowry

BrooksnLowry Member

Remember, the trade will not happen if Melo won't agree to sign an extension to the Nets....if that does indeed happen...Melo to the Rox is a real possibility

2. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Forgot to add chuck to both sides. Hope for the best. I am an avid Rockets fan, dont get me wrong man. Once the season starts hopefully this team can show they can compete with the best starting game 1.

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Melo would be a true moron if he signed an extension and went along with this deal as reported. Melo + Lopez + Augustin + Terrance Williams + Troy Murphy is NOT going to scare anybody - especially not Miami, Boston, Orlando, or Atlanta.

You could argue the Nets have a lot of cap room to sign someone in the future(Chris Paul after the lockout), but that's a long way from now and nothing is guaranteed. Besides - would Melo really be doing himself any favors by wasting the prime of his career turning a ten win team into a first round doormat for a few years so he can have a shot at maybe getting a good FA when they move to Brooklyn?

....also - this trade report doesn't seem feasible at all - for one it doesn't make sense for the two main parties - Melo or NJ. Melo for the reasons I mentioned above and NJ because they would be giving away their future for only 3 guaranteed years for Melo(one of which will be lost to a lockout). The Nets giving Favors and Harris up for Melo is a "win now" decision which you don't normally see made with 12 win teams.

I think we can file this under "intentionally leaked" by NJ to try and drum up a few teams to participate in a trade. I bet the only two teams involved right now are Denver and NJ and maybe the Bobcats. The Nets leaked this with a couple of decent role players' names attached to see if someone interested in those players would step up and identify themselves as potential parties to the trade.

...also if you read the original Yahoo article carefully - it implies a lot of things but it does NOT say anything has been agreed upon or that a feasible trade scenario has really been put together. Let's not go overboard here. They definitely wrote it to look like a scoop but to me that article just says Denver knows it has to trade Melo, the Nets want him but have to get another team or two involved or else they will have to gut all the talent on their team so they are actively working on scenarios. That's it.

4. mi0304

mi0304 Member

12 win team - Harris, C.Lee + Melo, Murphy = ? wins?

I guess 15.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Umm no its not. Favors has not proven anything to be worthy enough to have his name mentioned with Durant. Melo has actually had playoff success unless the Macster.

6. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

We will get shut down by teams like the Lakers and Heat.

It's gonna be painful to watch Brooks and Martin struggle against Kobe, Artest and Barnes and LeBron and Wade.

Teams are gonna set a gameplan around Yao because he will have a set number of minutes and scouting when he's in and out of the lineup will be much easier.

I'd rate this offseason a failure just for the simple fact that expectations were so high.

Now we have to play the waiting game once again, this time with Yao and Martin, both who could miss 40 games if they wanted to.

Hey Morey, " What was all the talk about the Kevin Garnett situation you were talking about on the radio?"

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Well, this will pretty much ensure that Melo will never win a ring.

8. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Sources confirm 'Melo four-team scenario includes Nets, Nuggets, Bobcats and Jazz, but one executive cautions: "We've got a long way to go." now

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Minus the toughness and leadership of Artest, Landry and Mutombo...

Plus an older, slower Shane Battier and Yao Ming...

We have gotten MUCH crappier on the defensive side of the ball. We were arguably the best in the league when we played the Lakers... If we are not top 5 this year, expect some huge moves to go down. Daryl has said as much, and honestly, There are MAJOR concerns on the defensive side of the ball with Brooks/Martin/Budinger/Scola and Brad Miller playing major minutes...

Offensively we will be great, but only fantastic defense will beat the Lakers/Miami/Celtics...

10. spookyoldtree

spookyoldtree Member

Don't forget Yi Jianlian was also gone.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The nets would only have Lopez, Melo, and Murphy this year but they would have enough for a max player next year.

Yao, Duncan and Parker could potentially be available.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you do know Courtney Lee plays for the Rockets now? :grin:

13. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

To add on to that. Martin is an efficient scorer because he gets to the free throw line. He is a finesse scorer. In the playoffs he isn't going to get half the calls he gets in the regular season. But I guess if Reggie Miller can take his team to the finals why not Kevin Martin right? :rolleyes:

14. AB-4-3

AB-4-3 Member

Finally all this will come to an end and our players can stop answering questions about being traded. Our team is really good on paper, lets see what they can do on the court.

15. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

It's quite simply mind boggling how everyone underrates the defense that Ron played during our years.

We don't have that defense stopper on our team and not an offensive player that constantly draws the double team.

I'd take that 08-09 team anyday over this one that's currently constructed.

Hope Daryl knows what he's doing because right now, doesn't seem like he does.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Peeps hate Lebron for going to a stacked team...

Peeps hate Carmelo for going to a mediocre team...

Conclusion?

Do what is best for you and your family...

17. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Yea. Cause Brooks has always struggled against the Lakers, right? :rolleyes:

and you're really underestimating Kevin Martin, though, I'm not even going to try to explain it. Just watch and you'll see. Dude wasn't even healthy at all last year with us and still dropped 20 a game.

Oh, and not only is Yao back (idk how well he'll play though), but we also have legit 7 footer in Brad Miller. It's been awhile since we had one of those. That's going to help a ton instead of having 6-6 Chuck Hayes in the middle, no offense to Chuck.

18. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Well...

on one hand, Ill be bummed that we dont get Melo...

but on the other hand, winning a championship obviously isnt on his radar if he is willing to sign an extension w the Nets....and I only want guys who want to win a championship playing for my team

19. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Kevin Martin is a fairy that's allergic to playing defense.

I'd trade that fairy for Melo anyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

He's an efficient scorer, but doesn't show up when the game's on the line.

20. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I know you wanted Melo. Most of us did. But please, for your own sake, back off the ledge a little bit. Nobody has more tradable assets than us (except for maybe the revamped Nuggets) and when was the last time a Rockets team, hell ANY TEAM, had the same roster game 1 to game 82?

If the Nuggz go true rebuild, they may want to dump Smith, Birdman, Nene (can opt out after this year), Billups (no thanks)...

There's a reason there are hundreds of pictures of Morey's s__t-eating grin scattered across these threads.

Hang in there ASidd... we'll get through this together.