1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons on PTI(Morey's Friend)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by scolandry1, Sep 21, 2010.

1. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I think you might want to distinguish between offense and scoring. If you're talking offense, I would much rather have guys like Lebron, Durant, Wade, and Kobe. Each of those guys is able to create more for their teammates and has a knack for finding the open man. Melo has always seemed to more about getting his points than doing what is efficient offensively. Kobe used to be the same way, but he's gotten much better over the course of his career.

Even if you're talking solely about the ability to put the ball in the basket, I think Durant already has the edge on him. He's better from the perimeter, quicker off the dribble, and long enough to do some work in the post. Durant his also much younger and will continue to get better.

2. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

Well, his stats are his stats. Look them up. He shot 46% from the field and 83% from the FT line last year. Not sure what more you want from the guy. The only small forwards that put up 25+ ppg and shot a better % than him last year were Lebron James and Kevin Durant.

3. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

you're right, i should have been more clear. i guess the best way i could put it would be...smoothest all around scorer.

4. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

i felt his stat line was a bit "empty." not alot of assists. didn't shoot or make alot of 3's. (irrelavent outside of fantasy) and he turned the ball over a bit more than i'd like to see a "superstar" do. not to take anything away from melo as he is a top 10 player in the league.

as i said above, i should have been more specific earlier in the post about my view him. i reckon i'm just a little bitter about him as player. my bad.

5. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Courtney Lee > Brooke Lopez ????

Well then, it seems the GARM us rounding into preseason form.

Carry on.

6. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

* 'is' *

Wish I could edit. :(

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL are you serious?

1. Devin Harris is the Nets' best player now
    2. Favors is the best player in the future
    3. Brook Lopez>>Lee

8. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Devin Harris played like crap last season and is injury prone. He has no outside shot whatsoever.

If they give up Favors, they have no future.

Lopez is better than Lee, but we all know it doesn't matter who's the best player on that crap team. They won 12 games after all.

It's like arguing who is the smartest kid in summer school. Who cares whose the smartest, your dumbass is still stupid for not handling your business in the regular school year.

9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Couldn't say it any better bro.

10. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

hahaha

11. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

though injury prone, he's still a capable 20/10 PG. After being traded from Dallas, Harris was forced into a bigger role. Lopez and Harris are the only players on the Nets capable of playing at an all-star level consistently. It might still be that way if Favors doesn't pan out, but getting back, Harris' injury occured early on in the season and never fully recovered until late season. Harris has improved his J and is capable of knockin down shots beyond the arc.

beyond all those reasons. he's fast. comparable to the likes of Brooks, Barbosa, Williams, CP3 and ya get the picture.

12. Btop

Btop Member

you guys have to look at this in a basketball sense it's business nothing personal. if you have the opportunity to get a melo on your team you have to make that deal this guy is top 3-4 best player in the league he brings toughness winning attitude 4th quarter scoring not to mention the yao situation 24 min a game that maybe the real reason you do this deal. I love martin but to many if's can he stay healthy can he step up in the 4th can he defend in the playoffs we don't know. what we do know melo has been tested in all aspects and passed.

13. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Lee was their best player? Lopez ain't all that? He's only been in the league a few years and he's already considered a top 5-7 center. If you're generous, you could even say he's top 3. He's been their best player since he put on that NJ hat.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know if Lopez is that great. Maybe Scola is just that good. He killed Lopez in their last game, when he got his 44 points. Lopez had a good stat line in points and rebounds, but he was helpless against Luis. Lopez also managed 7 turnovers. I just wasn't bowled over by the guy.

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He turned the ball over a lot for a superstar? He averaged 3 a game -- less than LeBron, Wade, Kobe, and Durant. High scoring wings turn the ball over.

Making an argument for or against a player based on how he did for your fantasy team is an argument in absurdity.

1 person likes this.
  16. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Lopez -----product of the 2010 centers....were no competition exists. Young fellow but on that NJ team, they had literally nobody else who can pick up the slack.....

DH

Next best center

17. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

not before denver uses him for all this season

18. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

C'mon man. Give credit where credit is due. I love me some Simmons...

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

quite possibly the dumbest thing i've read all month saying Lee is better than Lopez. please do not follow the dd's school of "i am going to be posting hundreds of times a day so my opinion has to be right" seems like you are heading down that path

Lopez is the 2nd best center in the east after Dwight (and possibly the 2nd best in the league), the kid has the entire package offensively and is no slouch on defensive but lacks the same lateral quickness that Dwight or even his brother have. But he is more than capable in protecting the paint and guarding opposing centers.

the problem Lopez has as many here cried about during Yao's early seasons is that he has a point guard that looks to score first, second and third before passing the ball to his center. Never have I seen a skilled center since Yao get 'froze' out by his teammates so much. that team was in complete shambles last year after basically trading vince carter and ryan anderson for courtney lee so to say that he must sucks and got stats because his team did so poor is silly. Lopez by no means is a franchise center like Howard and Yao are/were but if I were to compare him to the great centers of the 90s I would put him at a level of like a Mourning ...the obvious centerpiece (pardon the pun) to the team but does need significant help and probably cannot carry a team by himself.

new management is trying to change things around and with a new coach in Avery who as a PG played with a great center Lopez should be more involved in the offense and turn even more heads this year.

for what its worth i would trade Yao for Lopez in a heartbeat and not think twice about it. Yao is great but his injuries and creeping age is hurting him and after Yao there isnt a more skilled offensive center in the league.

Deck - to analyze one game, that too a career game for Luis, to judge Lopez's worth is a huge disservice to Lopez

There is a reason why NJ will not give up Lopez in a Melo trade but are willing to give up Favors. There is a reason why Denver wants Lopez, even though they have a very capable and underrated center in Nene already on their team.

20. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lopez is a stud period and he will only get better. NJ has a bright future if they stay the course and build their team through the draft. I'm not sold NJ will trade favors for Melo. I think Harris will be the guy they look to trade because he's a volume shooter and he will only take away from both Favors and Lopez.