1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Times: Rockets preparing to offer Martin and Knicks draft picks for Carmelo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Sep 21, 2010.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

most likely would have to be andersen

if Dampier does sign with the rockets its not that big of a deal Andersen is versatile enough to play the 4 spot as well

Yao/Miller/Damp
    Scola/Anderson/Hayes/Patterson
    Melo/Battier or Bud(?)
    Lee/Taylor
    Brooks/Lowry

that is assuming Hill and jeffries is traded in any potential deal for Melo and Patterson & Hayes are not.

this would clearly make the backup SG spot really weak unless the stories of Taylor's progression this offseason are true and he can be that scoring spark off the bench much like Wafer was 2 seasons ago.

The thing we saw this offseason is that expiring contracts are nice but they are not as nice as instant cap relief that TPE or a team with cap space would bring. So unless Les gives cash to denver to subsidize Jeffries or Battier's expiring deal its value is a bit less than what is perceived.

Of course at the trading deadline the expiring deals are worth more since you are essentially getting a subsidized contract (with the original team having already payed for about 60% of the salary) so they will be more valuable then but I dont think Denver will want this to drag on until Feb 2011 it will only hurt their team.

2. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

I agree with another person, there is probably going to be a 3rd team.
    I would think Atlanta might want to get in.

I'd see a trade like this happening

Houston gets:
    Melo

Denver get:
    Jcrawford - 10 mill expiring
    Hill -Youth
    Jefferies - 7 Mill expiring
    Battier - 7 mill expiring (hopefully he gets bought out)
    Taylor - Youth
    Plus 2 picks

ATL gets
    JR Smith - Denver wants to dump
    Brooks. - Atl needs a new PG soon

3. Marteen

Marteen Member

I believe we have the right man as GM. Surely, giving up Martin isn't the only option that Morey can use. What's certain for sure is the draft picks, which is more than enough that I think it should be enough for Melo since the Knicks will suck this year barring a superstar trade deal, like Chris Paul.

Chase Budinger should be in this deal if they don't give up Kevin Martin. Again, I feel as a Rocket fan that we should all relax about this Martin deal. If it happens, it happens, we get a superstar in return, but hopefully not much we have to give up as the NY Times put it.

4. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

You just contradicting yourself. You said "there should be no room for personal attacks and insults" and then you went on and tell someone to check their self esteem and get better education. If that is not insult...i don't know what is. Dude, get real!! LOL

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

QFT. The other players on the court will benefit from Melo being out there.

It will be hard for teams to double Yao or Scola bc of the attention that Melo gets.

Lets go DM!! Chris Paul might be next if the Wizard can pull another rabbit out of his hat.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The third team idea using Brooks makes sense to me the most. I don't think Morey is going to dump Martin for Melo. I think the whole idea is to get Martin and Melo playing together on the wings with a ball-distrubuting point guard (Lowry), and Yao and Scola inside.

If Denver is rebuilding, then Brooks and other assets make way more sense than Martin and trash.

The holdup on this deal is probably Denver trying to get Morey to give them both Knicks draft picks and Morey is holding out to only give them one draft pick. All the Knicks/Nets stuff is a smokescreen to try and get us or somebody else to up the ante.

7. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

No way i will give up Brooks + Battier.

8. drich

drich Member

Brooks to Denver
    Chuncy to Portland
    Miller to Houston

9. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With as much as you post, one would assume you had a clue.....

If the Nuggets would accept Martin and the picks, the Rockets and any other team in our position would make that trade.

10. phantoman

I would if we sent cash 3mill to help buy him out so we can resign him.

11. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

besides, the holdup also falls on whether melo is willing to sign the extension. this is the most important thing to hold morey to pull the trigger.

12. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

How well does Kmart do in one on one situation, how well does he do against lebron, kobe and durant, how clutch is he how good is his post game. Can he score at will?

13. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Updated: September 21, 2010, 2:34 PM ET

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5600303

14. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

I could not deal with his stupidity anymore. I had to put him on ignore. I began to get migraine headaches reading his stupidity.

15. phantoman

are you sure about that?

http://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/25118485999

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi...melo_wont_sign_with_new_jersey/#ixzz10BvLGjS1

16. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

A few points that have probably already been said (havent had the time to read through every page...):

-I think a large part of people's dislike of Melo is driven by his image/reputation and not on-court skills.
    There's a strong argument to be made that Melo starting over Budinger/Battier makes this team better than CBosh starting over Scola, and yet had the same pieces been in play for Bosh, I think few would argue as hard against it.

-Saying Melo is 'not a superstar' or 'not elite' doesnt mean anything; there's no one on our roster who is a superstar or elite and thats a fact (you can make an argument for Yao, but 24 minutes a game and not playing back-to-back and it really doesnt matter how good you are).

-Morey is determined to win now. If the Rockets offseason has told you anything, it is that. I believe that Morey has looked at teams who have stockpiled above-average talent on their roster and seen that historically, very few of these teams have been able to win the championship absent a superstar. The only team I can think of that did it was Detroit, and they are the exception, not the rule.

The majority, including the Trailblazers (2000-2002), the current trailblazers lineup, LA Clippers, Warriors, Bulls, etc. werent able to capitalize on their aggregate talent absent a true superstar and essentially fizzled out.

Also, this may well be Yao's last season....

-Should this trade go down, Morey is probably going to end up trading a lot more than most of us want. We can speculate alternate trade pieces, but whats being reported is a lot, and its probably going to be even more to make the salaries work out.

2 people like this.
  18. bloop

bloop Member

19. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

damn...im unsure about this...i love kevin martin's game offensively...i honestly would give up brooks than martin but morey is a genius but we will see.

20. phantoman

hmm, ok. I didnt mean it as being an @$$. I was trying show other speculations.
    So don't assume.