1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some Ways to Deal With Cuban..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nero, Sep 11, 2002.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What's the problem with RL--is? If he signs a bloated contract with Seattle, Rockets win!

If he signs with Dallas, how does he make Dallas better (unless they trade Finley for a big stud...unlikely). Rockets win!

If he signs MCE with Houston, Rockets win!

So, stop worrying about Cuban and Lewis and anything except Ming signing -- and fitting in to America and the blessed Rockets!

2. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Easy:- Mark Cuban thinks the game of Professional Basketball as 'FUN' ! It would be just fine if he was the type of person that was respectful of his position in the NBA. Its difficult to understand, how such an ignorant person, could have the intellegence to invent and make big money, yet can't see himself and the need to adapt and change. Of course its possible this will come with age. At present he is the clown of the NBA with a mentality somewhwere between Money and Power. IMHO I wouldn't put it past him that the Wang Zhi Zhi Situation smells of a Mavs plot,with him in the middle, playing it like a game of Monopoly,his opponent the 'Rox' of course!

3. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Poor, poor misguided fan. Cuban obviously has a plan that is working for him, and the Mavs. Why should he change? Just because people don't like the way he does business? Why should he be the one adapting to the ole school ways of the NBA? In my opnion they should be adapting to him, and the business knowledge he's brought to the NBA.

You may not like him as a person but you have to admit some of his ideas are pretty good. I'll use the Insurance incedent that was brought up just before the World games. He thinks that the current insurance policy the NBA has is out dated. Let's say for example that in four years Yao Ming is one of the best centers in the NBA (if not the best). His rookie contract is up, and the Rockets sign him to a max contract. Everything is going perfect, and the Rockets are in a position to contend for a title. Before the start of the upcoming season Yao Ming wants to play for his country in some sort of World Championship. Assuming that the current insurance policy is the same what would happen to the Rockets if Yao Ming suffered a career ending injury in those games? What would happen is the Rockets Brass would still be responsible not only paying Yao, but they would also still take the luxury tax hit becuase Yao's contract would still count against the cap (even though he could no longer play basketball). Not only that but the Rockets would still have to pay for Yao's replacement.

Cuban's plan is to have an insurance policy in place that would not only cover the cost of still having to pay Yao Ming, but to also have Yao's contract not count against the Salary cap (which would mean no luxury tax either) since he was hurt while not playing for the Rockets. The only cost the Rockets would assume would be the cost of finding a replacement.

As for Cuban causing this whole Wang mess just to spite the Rockets ... I think you're just reaching on that one. Cuban is more concerned with his own team as oppose to trying to figure out a way to bring down another franchise.

4. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

mark cuban has all the money in the world, but he still cant buy the mavericks good defense:rolleyes: .

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A lot of those people who bash Cuban for "buying a championship" are also the people who ridicule Don Sterling for letting his good players go because he doesn't want to pay them their "fair market value." I believe it is impossible to "buy" a championship in a capped system such as the NBA.

And I think those who think Cuban is arrogant really confuse "outspoken" with "arrogant." I am not saying that Cuban is humble. Far from it! And I don't like him personally. But I think a lot of Cuban bashing by Rockets fans is just based on the fact that they hate anything connected to the Mavericks.

6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

That wasn't nice. There is no Cuban conspiracy. You want conspiracy, look toward Mars.

#26 Texas Stoke, Sep 13, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2002