1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If it weren't for the Chinese money, when would've Yao left the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Sep 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

since players that are 7'6" that can average 20 pts, 10 rebs and 2 blocks don't grow on trees I'm guessing that he would still be here regardless of any Chinese money.

2. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Considering those days are over and his body cant handle any significant minutes.......

3. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

You believe the remaining roster will be exactly the same if Yao wasn't picked up by Rockets since 2002 at all. I believe not. That's why I can't tell.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

see: McGrady, Tracy.

when healthy you can't get equal value. when injured, can't move giant contract. only solution, trade as expiring contract.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Here's my opinion take it or leave it:

White 7'6 dude with a soft touch and great moves, no character issues and great work ethic; no injury issues in the past but since he's so giant it makes you worry a bit---you re-sign him at a going rate just north of Brad Miller's contract in the early-to-mid 90's, 6-years starting at 9M going up to 14M, averaging out at 12M per year.

Black 7'6 dude with an actual jumpshot and post game, blocks shots at a good rate but because he's so heavy doesn't get very high off the ground, actually coachable, doesn't go out clubbing, not a clubroom cancer, shows he's got a really really high ceiling---max contract, sign that mofo ASAP. Mirror image of Tracy McGrady's contract.

That's just the way it goes. Front office officials and fans think alike. We see white guys as "safe" and "steady" picks that have maxed out their talents, but black guys are "projects" with limitless ceilings if you could only harness their athleticism and get their head straightened out. See Cato, Kelvin.

6. Dei

Dei Member

I think we would've shopped him early on, considering it took him a while to get this good; he was so-so even in Tracy's first year here, 4 years into his career. Teams would've wanted him more if he was black, too.

7. bloop

bloop Member

True we would be eating Indian takeout and boil in the bag curry like in England

8. pentajigga

pentajigga Member

I'm offering $20 to anyone who can do the best analysis of this "yao is a cash-cow" theory -- either proving or disproving it. I'll let the community vote on whose is the best. I'll pay by paypal.

I think it's had little effect -- but that's just a guess.

If Chinese advertisers pay $500k x 6 = $3M for billboards during Rox games, what would they have gotten from other advertisers? Certainly not zero. The difference is what matters. A few million here or there isn't a big deal in the NBA.

Do the Rox really care that non-stars on the Rox get Chinese shoe deals? Hard for me to see that meaning a lot.

Lots of Rox games on Chinese TV? Does the league split that rev evenly b/w all teams, or do the Rox get more b/c their games get more viewers? Maybe rev-share is equal.

Yao isn't even in the top #5 in jersey sales in China, and hasn't been for a while.

I think this question has been asked before and no one has been able to really give details on why Yao is a cash-cow. I'm skeptical.

Not offering the money to be cheeky, just thought someone smart might be able to dig it up and I thought it would be valuable to see.

9. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

You people is craaaaazy. The tallest guy in the NBA, the best center in an NBA almost devoid of great centers, and you guys think it's because of Chinese marketing we're keeping him?? Yeah.

Because Portland is tripping over themselves trying to get rid of Greg Oden. And the lakers are fed up with Andrew Bynum always being injured. Trade that SOB. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Center are a low-supply commodity. There just aren't that many around, and Yao is easily the best in the NBA right now.

What possible reason could there be for trading him? When he's 40 and playing off the bench and barely able to get up and down the court, the Rockets will still keep him if he's willing to stay.

10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Rudy has the best all around (playing and coaching) NBA career not to be in the Hall. A true travesty.

11. allforone

allforone Member

always believed Yao's quite asset because of his basketball competence, and money's been nice addition

12. Mr. V

Mr. V New Member

13. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

It's disappointing that the Rockets have limited Yao to 24 minutes per game, without at least trying to figure out if his maximum is more than 24 minutes.

WTH is this based on? Ilgauskas? Who...? It would definitley help for the fans dishing out big bucks for season tickets and those of us who root consistently for Rockets success.

To answer the question posed, I think money factors into? However, I think it's more about a 7'6" skilled center who is the most difficult to guard in the NBA. The Big Liability has some serious big man skills and if it wasn't for those skills he would be gone.

My big question, is Yao going to play 6 minutes every quarter and is that the 1st 6 minutes in the 1st, last 6 minutes in the 2nd quarter, 1st 6 minutes in 3rd quarter and last 6 in 4th quarter.

Being Rick is going to suck, if we need a big defensive stop or buck and Yao has played 23 minutes and 59 seconds, that's why 24 minutes sounds stupid, especially if we need him to take the last shot with 6 seconds left. I call bogus if he doesn't

14. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

First of all, if we assume Yao to be either black or white American, he'd have been in NCAA for 4 years.

And don't forget Kwame Brown went #1 overall in 2001. Kwame Brown of all people! Apparently locking up a big post player was the thing to do back 10 years ago, and yeah he would still go #1 overall cuz we already had Steve Francis at the point so it'd be pointless to pick another pg at #1. Not to mention Jay williams screwed over his NBA career in the first 2 years in the League so go figure

15. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

We ain't trying to get that Arab money.

16. Macfly

Macfly Member

Totally agreed.

as a Chinese fans, I dont think Rox keeps Yao only for the Chinese Money. He is the top 5 center when healthy and center is exhausting resource. His attitude, his diligence make him a great player. Money is only an addition.

For the injury, overspent by RA caused Yao's injury. Rudy and Jeff knows how to protect him, but RA dont.

But, Yao is not the best fit for RA's system. If RA is still on the coach position after next season, I am not surprised Yao is gone.

In my opinion, Yao will makes 12 and 7 rebounds with 24mins limition and Morey will quote him at avarage 8M a year, 3 years gurantee and 1 year team option after 2010 season.

17. landryfans

landryfans Member

From what I heard, Les bought large amount of land (for what purpose I dont know) in China, he also invest in multiple projects with Chinese partner, and he is a share-hold of Anta (the shoe maker).

For the Jersey issue, I know lots of youth would rather own a Hayes jersey, because Yao jersey is so un-cool, no character.