1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming will not play more than 24 minutes in any game this season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets25, Sep 15, 2010.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I wish Yao would have opted out.

This is beyond pathetic.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That could work!

3. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Is this more Yao's idea or management/coaching? The latter right?

I'm sure Yao would and could play more than 24 minutes.

4. conquistador#11

Change the style up, watch the wins pile up.. run and gun for 24 minutes, then play inside/outside for 24 minutes. :p
    Alternate with every game, leave the oppossing coach guessing.

5. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

To me, this is news because it changes his minutes to averaging 24 minutes a game to no more then 24 in a game, which really means less then 24. It sounded as if he goes over 24 against the Dr's wishes, then the Rockets are somehow liable to the status of his career.

So how is he used? Personally I'd rather seem him come in with the 2nd unit, start Miller. I like that for few reasons. I think that might give the team the proper mentality that we aren't depending on Yao, it's just a bonus that we get to use him sometimes. It also will put him up against slightly lesser talent which could mean less wear and tear. Lastly, it puts Yao in the game at the end of every quarter where drawing fouls will be most effective.

1st - last 4 minutes
    2nd - last 4 minutes
    3rd - last 4 minutes
    4th - first 4 and last 4 minutes.
    20 minutes with some room to wiggle.

Although honestly, I'm getting sick of this. I doubt this is really new news, and the Rockets simply chose to release the information at this time...when Texans news can overshadow this and a lot of folks have already bought thier season tickets.

I'm fine with trading Yao now. I can see several teams willing to take a chance on Yao, if only to get China fans for one year. The effects could last even if Yao retires or ends up some where else. That said, I don't think China will completely stop being Rockets fans either. I see it financial as a trade off between losing much of China and hopefully gaining a potential contending team. I don't pretend to know the numbers, I'd be great if trading Yao were to start making financial sense.

Chances are, Yao will never get any further then the 2nd round, and will walk away with nothing. If we were to cash in now, I think we can get some assets to do atleast that well, plus picks and developing players for the future.

Not at all saying it's likely, but really starting to wish for it.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

While I expected him to be limited to around this time unofficially...officially is a different thing.

What this means to me is that Yao Ming is no longer worth is contract....He's no longer a franchise player...he's no longer the guy you build around.

7. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

So what happens when the game is close the last 2 minutes or during an overtime game??

Attendance is part of being great.

I am tired of all this Yao crap. You will not go deep into the playoffs with all this "limited minutes" nonsense.

8. Mr Chuck Norris

And he's not playing the second game of back to backs? Didn't we Crucify McGrady for this.....Yao Ming....Sir, you got to go.....

9. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

agreed... been saying that for the past 5 years. Alexander milking his cash cow as much as he can, which is the reason the Rockets will never win anything as long as Yao is on this team

10. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

What happens if a game goes into OT? Are they going to make special decisions for situations like that?

11. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

It's totally different. Tmac and team agreed to not play 2nd game on back to back, and yet he still didn't give 100% for 1st game, AND he kept saying he was 100%.

Whether Rockets should let Yao go is another topics. Just want to point out the difference between the situations.

12. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Didn't you read the chronicle article? It specifically said there is NO EXCEPTION, even if there is 8 seconds left and the Rockets is 1 point behind, if Yao's minute is up, he will sit.

13. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

How could we miss the chance to blame Yao, even if he has NOT played 1 minute, or 24 minutes, or 25 minutes?

But it's on the Internet, it must be true! Also, it's Yao, how could we miss the bandwagon that we can officially throw stones at him, in the name of supporting Rocket team?

Thank God I didn't miss the great opportunity.

24 minutes? NO WAY! As a matter of fact, I strongly believe Yao should play 48 minutes in every single game, in the first 10 games, so we, the Loyal Fans, will know for sure whether he could hold up. It's like stress test your product. What if he can't handle it? We dump him. But what if he can handle those 10 games, but breaks in the 11th? Hmmm, let's make it 48 minutes each game and 20 games. But, what if he breaks in the 21st game?

Just play him through, until he breaks, then we dump him, and then we can all blame him for everything is not right.

14. CuriousG11

CuriousG11 Member

I wouldn't sweat it. The refs are going to keep Yao pinned to the bench regardless, so might as well give him the extra rest.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Bottom line: as long as his minutes increase as the season progresses and the playoffs approach, then I'm more than okay with this strategy.

Getting his mindset and body re-accustomed to the daily NBA grind is critical. This 24-minute limit should do well to give him a solid dose of that without overwhelming him. Ideally, he gets it going and gradually plays a more pivotal role with this team as the season moves forward.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Not playing him in back to backs is going to kill this team. That's about the worst idea ever if the plan is to actually make the playoffs. It's going to kill chemistry and rhythm. 24 minutes a night is something I can deal with but if they are going to sit him out for roughly 1/3 of the games all year then I would rather he not play at all.

17. BarkleyHater84

Better to have him half of the time out there than not at all. Just ask Colts fans about Bob Sanders.....

18. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

The Ginobili comparison that I saw earlier in this thread makes this sound better. But a strict limit of 24 mpg, every game, for the entire regular season is not something I wanted to hear. I don't know how they arrived at that number, and the statements seemed so extreme. Like not letting Yao go just a little bit over, even with the final possession on the line. If the hard limit was 30 mpg I wouldn't even bat an eye.

19. The Brian

The Brian Member

i'm fine with it so long as the rockets make the playoffs.

then let him go full games.