1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao moving up the rankings?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mrbasketball, Sep 12, 2002.

1. mrbasketball

mrbasketball Member

http://msn.espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0912/1431050.html

Mourning appears to be retiring. He had a great career and the NBA will miss him.. Too bad we wont get to see Yao match up against him..

Here is my official tally of current NBA centers that I feel are better than Yao now that Mourning is no longer part of the NBA..

1. Shaq (if healthy)
    2. Tim Duncan (if you consider him a center)
    3. YAO MING (i think he will put up 16 pts, 9 rebs, 2.8 blks, 3 assist, 58% FG, 75% FT).
    4. Mutombo (limited offense but the league is short of centers)
    5. Vlade (good player but had a miserable WBC. Yao clearly outshined him).

Mourning was one of my favs and too bad he is gone. The Rox should try to hire him to consult Yao and to work out with him..

2. Truth

Truth Member

Tim doesn't want to play C, and he will not be center. So Yao is # 2 already.

3. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I would say its,

1.shaq

2.Divac

3.Mutombo

4.Yao Ming

5. J. Oneil

I belive that Yao could move up on that list once he plays and proves himself in this league!

#3 Sofine81, Sep 12, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2002
  4. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I would put Gasol in front of Vlade starting this season.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Ah, the future is very bright in the NBA.
    Go Ming!! :)

6. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Looks like Hakeem may be out too... Too bad he couldn't play once more here.

It will be interesting to see how much development the young centers had this year: Diop, Curry, and Brown. With Gasol and J. Oneal, these are Ming's future competion for #2 and eventually #1.

Bring in Jabbar and Bill Russell to teach him;)

7. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Gasol plays forward in the NBA. He weighs 235. That's about as much as Steve.

Also, Mr. Basketball, I wouldn't exactly call Divacs winning the Gold medal as his teams leader a miserable WBC showing. Dude is old and is still a warrior.

8. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Every center except Austin is shorter and within 15 pounds of Gasol. They really don't have true reliable "center" on that team. It's kind of like calling Dirk Dallas' center.

9. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

10. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

250 is about the minimum you need to effectively guard an NBA center in the low post. Anything less and you don't have a chance. A strong 250 player is better than a fat 280 player but there is no way Gasol could hold off a guy like Cato or Dale Davis in the post. They played Gasol at the three last year. Maybe he has put on some weight.