1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao the best pure shooter in the league?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Sep 11, 2002.

1. mfclark

mfclark Member

The Sports Guy, of Page 2 fame, says the best jumpers in the league are owned by Mike Miller and Ray Allen.

Take that for what it's worth.

2. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Rockets_Truth,

About Glen Rice being more of a pure shooter than Ming:

Glen was injured pretty bad the last couple years. Shooters need legs under them. The jury is out for now.

Late in the season I saw him in warm ups hit about 80 of 100 rapid fire threes. I've been playing and watching basketball for decades and never saw anything quite like it. Amazing.

I think after all the time to heal (it's been about 6 months since I saw him do that) and the physical therapy that he will prove himself once again.

#22 ricerocket, Sep 11, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2002
  3. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Actually yes it is. You cant shoot 38% and be considered a pure shooter. When looking at the classic shooters of this league (Glen Rice, Kerr, Dell Curry, Reggie Miller, Larry Bird), they all have shot atleast 47% career wise. So, yes, shooting percentage plays a HUGE part in determining whether someone is a pure shooter or not.

4. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

two words. Dirk Nowitzki

5. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Glen Rice lost his touch last year. It's actually been on the decline for a while, but last year was an atrocity. I would say the best shooter on the team right now would be Cat

6. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Read three posts up. That's why...

7. WNBA

WNBA Member

Dirk and Ming, both can shoot very well under pressure.

But Ming has learned how to shoot for no more than 3 years.
    I think he can be better.

8. hardeji

hardeji Member

I could care less about his release or the parabola on his shots. We got plenty of nice shooters.

I WANNA SEE HIM SLAM DUNK ON SOME DUDES!!!

9. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I think its Ray Allen, or Allen Houston, those guys can flat out shoot.

10. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Yao outta be pure on dunks, he can probably hold the rim flatfooted... :eek:

11. XBeams

XBeams Member

The purest shooter on the Rockets has to be Cuttino Mobley. The way he arches his shots and they go in the basket so clean, it barely makes a swish. Almost so clean it doesn't either touch the rim nor the net. It just goes right through the basket without even touching the net. I love watchin The Cat shoot. And he's been improving every year. So i think this should be the year to watch him. Him and Wink will both be playing in the all star game this year. Not to mention the Western Conference Finals..High expectations.

12. AllenLeavell

AllenLeavell Member

All I have to say Get up stop dreaming. The dude
    has not play one minute in the NBA . What type of person
    are you? You should think about what you saying before
    you post!

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

When did you see Yao shoot a three? It couldn't have been at the world championships, because the shot Yao hit was from international range, which is much shorter than NBA three point range.

14. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Did anyone here say once what is a pure shooter. My definition is someone who you want to give the ball to for an OPEN shot in a real game situation. And that's your pure shooter. Yao has a very sweet shooting mechanics. Because of his size and agility, he can SCORE with such a high percentage. He is a very good shooter. But as a pure shooter, guys like Bird and Miller come to mind, not Yao.

15. verse

verse Contributing Member

thank you. and it is for that reason that i'll take dirk as the best pure shooter in the L. of course that is debatable, but definitely not out of the question.

oh, and for best pure shooter on the rocks...i'm not sure we have one. the closest would be cuttino thus far. last year he was damn near automatic if you left him open. however, i want to see him sustain that consistency for another year before i don him as a "pure shooter".

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

He can't be the "best pure shooter in the league" until he is in the league.

17. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

Thank you for commenting on that....I was gonna say the same!:rolleyes:

18. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

FT% is usually a pretty good indicator, but it isn't always. Shooting free throws is similar to hitting a golf ball - you aren't in motion and have to overcome the mental aspect as well as the physical.

19. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Yes, I would easily want to have Yao over those. Are you kidding??

I saw Reggie and his *0* rebounds in the Worlds. I doubt any of the above mentioned can shoot 70%+ even with nobody guarding them.