1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The OC Register] Jeremy Lin is the NBA's Asian-American inspiration

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ParaSolid, Sep 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/lin-264953-nba-american.html

Nice article about the new GS Warrior, however the author does take it a bit too far (IMO) with his language when describing Yao as a contrast to Lin.

Here's the quote:

"Freak" just has such a negative connotation that the sentence above did not sit well with me. That's just me, though.

The rest of the article is a feel-good read about Lin being a standard bearer and breaking the mold etc..

2. Steve_Francis_rules

I agree that the comment you quoted sounds like an unwarranted shot at Yao. Maybe he didn't feel he could write a piece praising Lin without criticizing someone else.

3. VanityHalfBlack

Should be exciting for Golden State Warriors Fan!!!

4. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

I think the point of that article, when Yao clearly inspired basketball fans and players all across Asia, was that Lin is Asian-American, and so he considers that an inspiration while Yao is a threat. The gratuitous cheap shot at "communism" seems to indicates that.

5. adoo

adoo Member

there is a hidden agenda underlying Kevin Ding's article. He has issues with Mainland China and therefore can't bring himself to recognize the accomplishments of a Mainland Chinese citizen
    one who not played a NBA game, and just signed on to become the 12th man on a NBA team, is somehow more of a game changer than
    somone who has been a 7-time all-star in the NBA. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  6. Francis 4 ever

A lot of ABC's (american born chinese) feel a much stronger connection to Lin than Yao. The ABC's don't feel at home in china because of their american culture and accent; on the flip side they don't feel at home in america because of their asian heritage.

Too your average ABC basketball fan and player Yao is just what the ignorant fools nickname you on the the court, to them Yao isn't that special. Lin represents something much bigger to the asian-american.

1 person likes this.
  7. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

China to ABC is like Africa to African-American. It's kind of sad. Anyway, it's not about basketball, so maybe this doesn't really belong to NBA Dish.

8. sbyang

sbyang Member

Weird cheap shot at Yao. The writer talks about all these positive things and all of a sudden takes this cheap shot at Yao.

I guess he's just trying to say that Jeremy Lin is more of a ground breaker than Yao, even though the guy was undrafted and hasn't done anything in the NBA. This man has some twisted logic and maybe serious issues.

There's some weird stuff about Lin pursuing basketball as well. Like he's making sacrifices in his career by being in the NBA.

9. thaidizzle

thaidizzle Member

wooot. go jeremy lin!

10. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

of course jeremy lin is nba's asian american inspiration, he's the only asian american in the league, and the first asian under 6'5 who has a legit chance in the nba.

you can't compare lin with yao or sun yue, because they were raised in completely different environments.

11. adoo

adoo Member

Utah-born Wat Misaka, a 5'8" G, was the first Asian-Amercian to play in the NBA, back in 1947.

12. dback816

dback816 Member

Yea but if he makes it.....that's potentially a lot more money.

Maybe they shouldn't be so ignorant of their own cultures :rolleyes:

It's really sad a lot of these people, not just ABC's, have this whole "I'm an American so that means I don't have to care about anything else about my family!" ideal. Yet we got idiots (mostly white people) praising these people for that.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Really weird post. I don't see people acting like this at all. Maybe you just needed to diss Asians and white people, for some reason?

14. sw847

sw847 Member

I can see where you are coming from. Although I am not a ABC, I have been raised overseas since i could speak. A lot of people around me who immigrated that early in their lives consider themselves as kiwis (New Zealanders). It is really sad from my POV as well. It is hard for me to not acknowledge my heritage. In fact I know this one SOB who said himself was embarrassed about his chinese roots. Its kind of funny cause kiwis don't consider him as a kiwi, and he don't consider himself a chinese. so whenever someone asks him where he comes from (or what race he is), he says he is a new zealand born chinese. :grin:

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yao is a freakshow Drago in a way. Just like other jumbos like Shaq, Smits, Muresan, etc. No one can relate to their lonely existence.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

This thread has inspired me to reread Farewell to Manzanar.

17. sbyang

sbyang Member

Sounds like Kevin Ding's parents weren't very happy that he's a reporter. Still don't see why he needs to cheap shot Yao though.

Amateur quack says: he hates all Chinese people because he hates his parents and himself????

18. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

i dont think he means it in a negative way by saying freak...its like saying

"oh man, lebron is such a beast" beast = good thing freak = good thing

u could say, oh wow she was a freak in the bed last night ;)

19. adoo

adoo Member

the OC Registers serves a staunchyly conservative readership. It still prints Op Eds that villify Nixon's historic visit to Mainland China some 38 years ago, recognizeTaiwan as the only legitimate Government for the Chinese people, etc.

One can infer that Kevin Ding, in refusing to recognize Yao's NBA accomplishments and calling him a freak, was toting the company line. He was simply following OC Register's playbook pitty good (Taiwan, home of Jeremy Lin's ancestors ) against evil (Mainland China, YaoMing's home). It's like a reporter working for Fox News keep on repeating FNC's talking points.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

Many 2nd and 3rd generations here are raised this way. They are so ashamed of their own heritage b/c their immigrant parents want them to have nothing to do with the culture left behind. I feel sorry for them. Very insecure and unconfident bunch.