1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo!] Carmelo privately expressing more enthusiasm to join Rockets than Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ebu, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Htown-Stew

Htown-Stew Member

Sure you can..they just did.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No you can't you have to get more than two teams involved and do seperate deals....

A trade exception can not be combined....

Oh, why do I bother?

DD

3. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Hoopshype and Hoopsworld both have him making $6.1 next season. The ESPN trade machine and this article from the denver post has him making $6.7 next season. I'm not sure which one is the accurate one. But if he is making $6.1 next season, they would have to use the TE by the deadline if they wanted to acquire Smith since his contract expires at the end of next season. The TE doesn't expire until one year from the date of the Ariza deal.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/2010/08/23/on-trading-j-r-smith-and-more-melo/

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think he is making $6.1 now and $6.7 in 2011. So it would probably be a deal before the season starts in order for them to be able to use Ariza's TPE. At least that's what i'm hoping. :grin:

5. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Smith is in the last year of his contract. He will be a free agent in 2011.

6. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Storytellers has him at 6.7 mil as well, and they usually are very reliable with stuff like this.

7. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

When do you guys think Melo will be traded?

In the next 2 weeks? By training camp? By December? At the deadline? Or he plays the season out and gets Sign and traded for a large TPE?

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Considering Kroenke needs to sell them bu 2014, i'd pick sooner rather than later.

9. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Do you think it's possible he maybe dealt by this week?

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Well by sooner rather than later, I mean likely before the season starts and probably training camp too. I figure he'd want to get to the rebuilding stage as soon as possible to maximise value by 2014

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Denver's leverage also goes down as the deadline nears. "Oh, you don't like my trade offer? Have fun losing Melo for nothing."

12. DaDakota

I don't think so.....

Melo has to opt out for them to get nothing, and that is a big big risk with the CBA being up and all.

This is an entirely different situation than McGrady's was.....he had all the cards....Melo, not so much.

Everyone knows he wants the money, and the Nugs can simply say..."Sure, sign here" or you are going to lose that money.

I think Melo caves if the Nuggs take a hard line on him....

DD

13. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I would think Melo's leverage would go down as well then. Melo could lose out just as much....no extension, certainly less money in whatever he gets in FA with the new CBA. Both Denver and Melo risk more as the trade deadline draws closer. It's a game of chicken at this point.....who will flinch first?

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Not to echo John Hollinger, but I wouldn't be stunned if another couple weeks pass and something goes down on September 13, when Charlotte can add other contracts with Dampier's in a trade.

15. DaDakota

Also Troy Murphy's waiting period is coming to an end as well and he could be packaged in a trade.....lots to consider.

DD

16. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I'm just praying that Hollinger's prediction is correct and we land Melo in a 3 way with Charlotte.

17. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I thought he couldn't be traded until December 15? :confused:

18. Vivid

Vivid Member

It's quiet... too quiet... Star-Morey, DO A BARREL ROLL!

19. DaDakota

That is Lowry.....and Scola I believe...Murphy is under no such restriction.

DD

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Murphys was recently traded, Lowry and Scola were recently signed.

The restriction for recently traded player is shorter and less stringent than those for recently signed players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.