1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't forget about J.R Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheGreat, Aug 24, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

If he can behave and not mess up our chemistry...

I am torn on him...

2. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I actually like JR Smith as a basketball player when he's normal. He has range like crazy and has mad hops. This guy's skills are so good it's scary. It's unfortunate that he's a head case.

I'll stick with C-Bud

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Unless all you consider athletic is jumping ability. Chase is not some slow nonathletic white dude. Have you ever seen him play? I am wondering if you have? I consider athleticism as stamina, speed, strength, and jumping ability in the NBA.

Also yes, JR Smith has had a ton of good games if scoring is the single most important thing. I guess that makes Aaron Brooks better than Derrick Rose...

4. Superdave532

Superdave532 Member

Definitely agree with you on this one. But, if it's done to bring in Melo then I think we can make the sacrifice. He's only on a one year deal, and with the talent we'll have if a trade does go through then he probably won't even need to get off the bench if his head isn't on straight. But yeah, the only way he'd better be included is if the Nuggets don't take as good of a deal, or one that's not any better than it'd take to get Melo alone.

5. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Really like Chase but better then JR Smith.......You people serious? It's not even close. Smith is the better player. I think people just seem to but other factors in judging somebody's basketball skills. Now maybe Chase in a couple of years will be better but as of right now, it's Smith. Anybody saying different need to take off the Homer glasses and lay off the Duff for awhile.

6. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

JR's mouth wasnt the reason the Nuggets havent won a ring, KOBE BRYANT is.
    When I look at the Laker's, Heat and Celtics I dont see why you'd pass up on JR coming here (like we couldnt use the firepower :rolleyes: ). At the end of the day talent speaks for itself and the Rockets should take a long look into getting JR

7. yaonow

yaonow Member

maybe JR could come around like artest has later in his career, cuz smith has some amazing skill. LMFAOROFLLOLERSKATEs at chase being better

8. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

I've seen Chase play since his rookie year. He's a solid player. However, ur GROSSLY overrating him. Theres no way in HELL he's better than JR Smith (even with so called "attitude" problem). You guys need to stop letting the homerism cloud your judgement

What exactly does Chase do better than JR Smith other spot up shoot? (and that's even debatable)

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm glad we have Morey as a GM. I think everyone is just looking at (PPG) and that's it. And that Smith has a game a month he drops 30 or so.

Also anyone that has seen me post knows I'm not saying this just because Chase plays for the Rockets. I've been saying all year long that Rondo(along with other PGs) was better than Brooks, and thought he proved that this year.

I was also saying Bosh was better than Scola and telling others to stop overrating our players.

But Chase is better than Smith. I swear most only look at one stat line (points scored) and nothing else and that's why I'm glad we have Morey as a GM.

Sorry, I'm not impressed by some dude who doesn't give his all every game and is a blackhole on offense.

Question. Is JR Smith in his prime better than Manu in his Prime? When you answer that question you will understand where I am coming from.

10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

absolutely no, I don't want that guy on our team.

11. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I don't think Smith will be in any package with Melo. I can see the Nuggets moving him at the deadline and showcase him to get moved for a big at the deadline.

I think that the Nuggets would try to include Anderson in any package with Melo seeing as how he is their worst contract.

I wouldn't mind having the Birdman on our roster. He could backup Yao and have Miller play power foward behind Scola.

He would be the perfect weakside shotblocker next to Yao as well.

I would do a deal like this:

Budinger
    Battier
    Harris
    Johnson
    Jeffries
    Hill
    Our's and NY draft pick

for

Anthony
    Anderson

Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/Lee
    Carmelo/Patterson
    Scola/Miller/Hayes
    Yao/Anderson

12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

JR should be your type of player, DD. In fact, he reminds me of one of your favs, Von Wafer. lol

13. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Yes, I'd take JR and Melo on the Rockets.

14. yaonow

yaonow Member

Neither chase or JR have reached their prime yet so this comparison is invalid. But right now JR is the far better player

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Can we forget any bull**** about Chase being a better player than Smith (he's not) and focus on what matters? That we don't want that maniac anywhere near our team? And don't bring up Max. He was a Rocket. He had some great games. He is NOT Mr. Smith.

16. Raw Texas

Raw Texas Member

Taylor and the $6M trade exeption the rockets just got from the Lee deal

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Not ideal, but if any coach can handle JR, it's Rick.

If Rick can keep him in the sanity zone, he'd be a great addition to our team as a scoring sixth-man. A much better version of Von Wafer.

If not, he's trade bait as an expiring salary, I think.

18. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Outside of Billups and Melo, the Nugget that I would want the most would be Chris Anderson. He could fill either the back up 4 or 5 spot and is a good weakside shotblocker.

19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

i say we pass on j.r. smith... but if we have a legit shot at carmelo and smith is included in the deal so be it, but judging from what happened to von wafer i doubt the rockets really want a guy like smith.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well you will be waiting a long time on JR's prime. He's played 6 years in the NBA, if this ain't his prime it's pretty damn close to it.

Also no, He's not even better than Manu when Manu is healthy.

I see this guy is the most overrated player in the NBA. All everyone looks at is how many points someone scores and how they look doing it.

Damn if his FG% is low and he hurts his teams. Watch the Jazz series, you can't tell me they would have done better if Smith was sitting on the bench for most of the games.

BBall IQ is a skill too.