1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo!] Carmelo privately expressing more enthusiasm to join Rockets than Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ebu, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moali85

moali85 Member

The Key in my opinion is how NY fares this year

Would you be willing to part with a pick belonging to one of the 5-6 worst teams in the league (I pray they do this poorly)

I think no.

2. GOAT

GOAT Member

You are actually totally wrong on that. Last year at the trade deadline they DID NOT trade Iggy because they didn't want just a salary dump.

By taking Martin on over Iggy the 76ers are actually saving around 16 million plus they are getting a defensive minded player to replace Dalembert.

3. drich

drich Member

Does this trade actually work on the trade machine?

4. rokixs

rokixs Member

if we do sign him. how long would be able to keep him. also what would hte potential pay out for this stud be. would this leave us for anyhting else or suck us dry? enlighten me.

Cross sport example but I just dont want him to do what Carlos Beltran did to the 'stros. Come here one season and leave for more $$$$

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think the Rockets would insist that Carmelo first sign the extension.

6. Superdave532

Superdave532 Member

My problem with your trade is I see little incentive for Philly to take back another shooting guard with a very similar contract. They want to unload Iggy because they want to move forward with Turner, adding K-Mart would still leave them with a crowded back court and little cap relief for a young team.

7. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

As usual, you are correct. Had the December 15 date stuck in my head for some reason.

8. rokixs

rokixs Member

whens the earliest you all see this getting done if it gets done?

9. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I doubt your assessment of Melo can be really supported up by stats.

Melo was surrounded by plenty of competent teammates prior to Billup's arrival.

In 2003-04, Andrea Miller and Marcus Camby both had higher PERs, TS%, ORtg, DRtg, WS, WS/48 than Anthony. Even role players like Nene Hilario and Earl Boykins were more than just serviceable.

In 2004-05, four Denver players (Miller, Camby, Martin, and Boykins) had similar or slightly higher PERs, similar TS%, better ORtg, DRtg, WS, and WS/48.

In 2005-06, his 3rd NBA season, Anthony finally led among all Nuggets in PER, TS%, WS, and WS/48. That was his best regular season. But his ORtg and DRtg were still not that impressive, the differential between the two only being a meagerly 2. As hyped as Anthony has been, his WS/48 in his best season never made to top 20 in the league.

In 2006-07, Camby still beat Anthony in WS and WS/48, and had much superior ORtg-DRtg differential.

In 2007-08, the last year before Billups, it was Iverson and Camby that were the top 2 leaders on the team in WS and WS/48.

In Melo's 7 playoff appearances, he had one outstanding performance, 2 good, and 4 bad ones (in 3 of those, he had negative WS/48).

Blaming on teammates? Please.

#269 wnes, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

absolutely

the best the rockets could do is have the pick be #2 (if its #1 the knicks keep the pick and we lose the right to swap)

and chances are you will not find a Carmelo type player at #2, these type of players are pretty rare to begin with if they are not taken #1.

Also chances even if the Knicks do bad it would

1) take a lot of luck for us to have them get the #2 pick more than likely they will not move up which further makes more reason to trade the pick if you can get Carmelo since it may very well stay at 8-14

2) hard to say if there is anyone playing in the ncaa or overseas that will declare next year to be the next "phenom" its a bit early to tell of course but you did hear a lot of hype about John Wall last year even at this time. Now you would need to have two of these players not just one since if there was just one he would be selected #1. Of course most of the time a player's stock isnt truly evaluated until conference and ncaa tournament time.

basically I feel Morey collected these picks primarily to use them in a trade for a star because the way the team is constructed now they are clearly not in 'rebuild' mode and while the picks will help continue to fill the roster with inexpensive talented players in the short run unless they get lucky they probably will not be able to land a iimpact/starting player let alone an all-star.

I would have reservations on Morey if the hold up in completing a potential Melo trade was one of the Knicks draft picks or both for that matter.

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

The reason that they would want to move Iggy is to make room for Turner. I'm not sure they'd want a 10+ million dollar backup SG. They need a SF, but I really don't think Martin at SF is a good fit long term.

12. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

your right your right all that is true,I'm just so damn eager and I wanna win already you know..I guess we just have to be patient

13. parmesh

parmesh Member

This thread is full of <s>win</s> j*zz.

14. Hongkonger15

Hongkonger15 New Member

Trust In Morey

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

As Carl Herrara pointed out (after verifying it with Larry Coon, the man himself), the Rockets actually used the $2.5M trade exception generated from the David Andersen to Toronto deal to absorb Lee's salary. Apparently, ESPN's Trade Machine is wrong. They (1) did not account for the Andersen trade exception and (2) incorrectly reduced the $3M Carl Landry trade exception by the amount of Lee's salary.

So, Morey is actually equipped with both the $6.32M Ariza trade exception (good until August 2011) and the $3M Carl Landry trade exception (good until around the February 2011 trade deadline).

16. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but I wouldn't mind taking on JR's contract with the TE (if the contract falls under the TE) then give up an asset. I don't want to play JR.

For example.

Take JR for the TE

Trade Hill, Hayes, Taylor, Jeffires, Battier, picks for Melo.

That leaves us with
    Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/Lee
    Melo/Bud
    Scola/Pat
    Yao/Miller

I wouldn't be surprised if we're able to pick up Hayes/Battier if they are cut by the Nugs.

17. DaneB

DaneB Member

Thank God we have those picks! Any time a team has a player that wants to play for either us or the Knicks, it's almost like we are bribing the team not to let them go to the Knicks. We are essentially saying, if you want some real quality talent, just make sure that the Knicks suck. If you don't trade this player to the Knicks, then you will be guaranteed some solid lottery picks for the next two years! :grin:

Also, who do the Knicks have that the Nuggest really want? Anything NY we can do better! Ultimately it comes down to whether or not the Nuggets want to make a trade with us. Either way, they are going to want to rebuild soon!

I would be shocked if they trade Anthony soon! I think they are more likely to just stick it out this season. If Anthony isn't willing to sign an extension, then I think they just blow up the team at the end of the season.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I find that strange.

Why wouldnt he use the one with less shelf life?

Seems like he has a plan.

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's been mentioned. There's an entire thread about it. The TE is smaller than his contract.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.