1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Orwell: Animal Farm Vs. 1984

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Aug 20, 2010.

?

Animal Farm vs 1984: Which do you feel is most relevant?

1. Animal Farm

36 vote(s)
    43.4%
  2. 1984

41 vote(s)
    49.4%
  3. Too close to Call.

6 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

I voted 1984 because that's the only book I've read out of the three (third being Brave New World).

I'm not interested in Animal Farm, but I think I'll pick up Brave New World sometime in the future.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

While Animal Farm dealt more with Communism
    I see alot of parallels with our own government.

The Spin control and short term memory of the people.

Sheep definately remind me of the 'fringe' groups . . like the TeaParty
    The Dogs - military/police
    The Horse - maltreatment of some of the hardest workers and most loyal
    etc

Rocket River

3. liljojo

liljojo Member

I'm not a very intellectual person by nature and generally don't read voluntarily, but I read both of these books on a whim, and enjoyed them thoroughly.

I don't know about relevance and all that, but I found Animal Farm to be a better read.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I agree. I always thought Animal Farm was the better read even though 1984 might be more applicable to a lot of things we see.

But if we're including Brave New World, I'll go with that.

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I like Animal Farm more personally. Brave New World is the best out of the three though IMO.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually Down and Out in Paris and London by Orwell is my favorite.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I didn't read the original post, so I voted for my favorite, Animal Farm. Because it was directed specifically at the Soviet Union, Animal Farm is certainly less applicable today, but it is one of the best satires ever written. 1984 is incredibly relevant now, but the most relevant old satire is Sinclair Lewis' It Can't Happen Here if you can suffer through Lewis' terrible prose.

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Member

In the same spirit of the post, I recommend the short story, "the Lottery". I read it in fifth grade. Now I hear college students reading it.

9. dback816

dback816 Member

You mean the one about the "stones" ?

I would be surprised if anyone here who hasn't read it, considering they are capable enough to get on a computer and come to this board.

10. Steve_Francis_rules

I remember reading that story when I was in sixth grade. I don't remember whether or not it was good, but it certainly was memorable.

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

So you think the public is too dumb to know what's going on in society in ways the books allude to, but you think the books are for middleschoolers. Just pick your favorite maybe.

I have to go with Animal farm for making certain concepts accessible in the creative fashion that it did, but I have to agree on the Brave New World commentary regarding where we really are these many years later in reference to the works.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know. They were both terrible books, but I think Animal Farm sucks a little bit more. Brave New World, on the other hand, is a good book.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

why are they terrible . . in your opinion?

Rocket River