1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coke Admits Vitaminwater Health Claims Are Bogus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by durvasa, Aug 21, 2010.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-robbins/the-dark-side-of-vitaminw_b_669716.html

#1 durvasa, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

As long as it doesn't make b****es fat I am cool with it.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/okYQKF1924k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/okYQKF1924k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

4. Southern Select

All supplemental vitamins are crap. It's just "cool" to go after "evil" coke (its a, gasp, corporation). Let's see them go after the BS hippie health stores.

1 person likes this.
  5. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I can't be the only one who thought it had some health benefits? Some vitamins maybe....I don't know...I did know net balance is negative health benefits.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

this is the best you can do to defend your beloved corporations? GOP?

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Somewhere 50 Cent is laughing his butt off... :grin:

8. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Im a reasonable person and I believed it had some health benefits, thats why I assumed it tasted so horribly.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Same here. If its going to be loaded with sugar and all-around unhealthy, it might as well taste good.

10. Major

Major Member

It's all a matter of perspective. There are *some* vitamins in Vitamin-water. How much depends on what you expected, I guess. Here's a key part of the article:

In fact, the product is basically sugar-water, to which about a penny's worth of synthetic vitamins have been added. And the amount of sugar is not trivial. A bottle of vitaminwater contains 33 grams of sugar, making it more akin to a soft drink than to a healthy beverage.

Is any harm being done by this marketing ploy? After all, some might say consumers are at least getting some vitamins, and there isn't as much sugar in vitaminwater as there is in regular Coke.

True. But about 35 percent of Americans are now considered medically obese. Two-thirds of Americans are overweight. Health experts tend to disagree about almost everything, but they all concur that added sugars play a key role in the obesity epidemic, a problem that now leads to more medical costs than smoking./i]

He's really not saying that it has no nutrient value - just not very much. He's also completely wrong about the sugar level. A normal-size 20oz bottle of VitaminWater has 13g of sugar, as opposed to his 33. A 12oz can of coke has 39g. So if you're using VitaminWater to replace water, you're getting a lot more sugar. If you're using it instead of Coke, then you're getting much less sugar.

11. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure Vitamin Water has 13g of Sugar per 8 oz "serving," of which there are 2.5 servings in a 20 oz bottle, which would come out to about 33g.

[​IMG]

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

VitaminWater is the biggest scam ever.

Sugar+Water+Vitamins

How about you just eat some fruit and veggies? All the vitamins you need.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Bottled water was the biggest.

This is up there, though. Hell, just get a glass of water and a multivitamin if you want it that bad - it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Gatorade isn't much different....they lowered the sugar content recently, but it still has a good amount of sugar.

The problem with these drinks is that people started drinking them 24/7. They drink them as snacks, when they eat, AND as a workout drink, even if their workout was a walk around the block. Also, most bottles are 2-4 servings and people drink the whole bottle at once.

They should be drank after or during a good amount of exercise, or if you're dehydrated, but water should be enough to keep from becoming dehydrated on an average day.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

"I took quarter water, sold it in bottles for 2 bucks
    and Coca-Cola came and bought it for billions, what the ****?"

17. Major

Major Member

My bad - that's ridiculous that a VW has 2.5 servings in one bottle. Looks like Gatorade does the same thing.

I don't drink Vitamin Water, but is it trying to compete with things like Gatorade/Powerade? Or more with things like Propel (which has no sugar)? It seems like it would aim to compete more with Propel, but it seems to be created more like Gatorade (same amount of sugar, etc).

18. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

I've been calling this one for forever. I've always made fun of my girlfriends drinking their trendy $2 vitamin waters after workouts. I can't wait to give them this link.
    Not only did the poor taste trick people, but also the colors of the drinks tricked people. They used a lot of natural looking dyes for the drinks, not crazy unhealthy looking colors like gatorade and powerade.
    I'll stick to my gummy bear vitamins

19. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Seriously, every single bottle of every non-alcoholic beverage I've ever seen defines a serving as 8 ozs.

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

I wonder if this is good for you:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.