1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Morey's package for Denver better than the Knicks' or Nets'?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 18, 2010.

1. shootingrockets

shootingrockets New Member

i'd also have to think that The Nugs and Melo are using the Rockets to get a better deal in NY. That's where Melo wants to be. I'd love to have him tho and think we could offer the right deal but I think it's a long shot.

2. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I'm not seeing some of these trades for 5 or 6 Rockets for carmelo. I don't think Denver will have that many roster spots available for all these guys. I think it will come down to 2 picks, trade exception, CBud, Battier, and either Martin or Brooks. That's 3 players and 2 picks.

3. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

seems reasonable, but you mite as well give them the moon!!!!!!!!

i want them to keep both brooks and martin, also i'm reluctant to let go of cbud... take battier,hill,miller,2 picks, but not martin or brooks!!!

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The Knicks have nothing to offer more than Danillo Gallinari. Their offer cannot get any worse or better. They have no picks to offer because we have them and the only other contract they have is Eddy Curry who nobody wants. They have absolutely nothing to offer.
    this is right, you could also throw in Lull to sweeten the pot since he will not take up a roster spot/cost money.

5. worzel gummidge

Nuggets have 3 open roster spots. Harris and Johnson are non-guaranteed so they be waived.

It could also be possible to include a third team with cap space or TE to absorb a player. Several teams are rumored to be after Louis Amundson. So there could be takers for Hayes or someone already on the Nuggets roster especially if some cash is thrown in.

I think the Rockets have the best chance to appease both parties, ie the Nuggets franchise and Melo.

Denver will want assets and to cut salary. (See my sig.)

Melo will want the team he is traded to to have a roster that will contend if he is to agree to an extension.

Brooks, Lawson, Carter (exp),
    Afflalo, JR (exp), Jeffries (exp),
    Harrington, Battier (expiring), Balkman
    Kenyon (exp), Patterson, Andersen
    Nene, Hill, Shelden (exp)
    + NY pick/s + HOU pick/s

Nuggets could also deal away Kenyon Martin's expiring contract sometime during the season for more assets and to get under the tax definately.

2011-2012
    Brooks, Lawson
    Afflalo, JR (exp),
    Harrington, Balkman
    (NY's/DEN's own Lottery pick?), Patterson, Andersen
    Nene, Hill
    + Assets from potential Kenton trade?

Billups, Lowry
    Martin, Lee, Taylor
    Melo, Budinger
    Scola, Rolle (via IND), Johnson (re-signed after waived by DEN)
    Miller, Yao

6. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

i wish you were still playing for the rockets so we can use you, and courtney lee as trade bait again just to get melo.

7. pewpew

pewpew Rookie

yao ming + shane + picks + ? (chuck, taylor, JH or pat?) for melo + nene
    who can beat this?

8. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Positives:
    Top 5 scorer in the league.
    Melo won the championship in college.

Negatives:
    Defense. Even T-mac had better D.
    Little bit of a 'tude

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Brooks, Battier, Jeffries, Hill, Hayes, Patterson, Johnson, Harris, Taylor, our 1st round pick and the right to swap picks with NY and additional cash for Billups and Anthony.

They cut Battier and Hayes right away. We sign them back on (if not immediately, then after the end of the season).

Billups, Lowry
    Martin, Lee
    Anthony, Battier, Budinger
    Scola, Hayes
    Yao, Miller

We'd still have a nice trade exception to fill out the roster (so, if they don't cut Battier and Hayes, we could get a decent PF backup with that).

10. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

In a seperate deal, we could offer the Nuggets 4.5 million of Ariza trade exception for Birdman Anderson.

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

The difference between us and NY or NJ is: if we give up valuable pieces, we`d still have a team that is stacked on almost every position, with 1 superstar and probably still several borderline all-stars (Yao, Brooks, Martin).

If NY or NJ give up valuable pieces, their team is filled with a bunch of scrubs. I can see Melo signing with NY or NJ when he is a free agent, but not after they give up some of their best players.

I´m still not sure if I want him - he is an offensive juggernaut, but with bad defense, and I´m not sure I like his attitude.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree.

13. Htown's2kFinest

funny how tons of people on here said the same thing about Amare. bad attitude, no defense etc. but its the same people on here saying they would love to see Anthony on the team. his attitude is even worst. if we get him great, our team improves. if we don't get him I wouldn't be disappointed at all. just more like peace out beotch.

14. valorita

valorita Member

We can handle Melo's reputation of having a non-Rocket-like attitude primarily because contrary to previous trade scenarios (Bosh or Amare), the upgrade at SF would be significantly greater than any upgrade from Scola.

15. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

For those who don't know, we always have room for 1 crazy guy. It's like an unspoken quota for the rockets and we haven't filled it yet this season.

I'd rather take lil crazy with loads of talent than loads of crazy and lil talent. I mean, where would the boards be without the usual scapegoat and all upstanding players? ;)

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Denver's calculus is simple Melo for young talents + ridding bad contracts. So hang up the idiotic talk that send battier+hill+jefferies+picks for Melo. Denver is not stupid.
    Can we beat NY, NJ in fulfilling Denver? I think it will depend on how much we want Melo and his persona( a concern for me) on the team. If we give up AB and Martin, we probably will get Melo. Does Denver even want Yao? But Melo + bare bone rockets? It has been proven that he cannot do it alone, he cannot even do it w/ very good pieces around him.
    So, likely Melo comes with a hefty price that is not too appealing IMO. That said, I don't mind us being a stalking horse just screw up the Knicks, even if getting Denver better.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If it comes down to Denver getting rid of bad contracts, I would put my money on New Jersey, and their billionaire owner, over Les and his do it under the tax...ways.

DD

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

I will be surprised if Mark Cuban's name not popped in this thing.

19. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I think Les would be willing to absorb a contract like Chris Anderson's if it meant netting us Melo. We could give them the Ariza trade exception in a seperate deal.

This is the moment that we have all been waiting for. Morey said he will pounce on a Kevin Garnett deal and will take a bad contract with Les' permission.

20. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

It will, but Melo won't sign an extension with them so Cuban will have to risk alot for a one year rental.

Melo actually like to re-sign with us because of Yao. Dallas doesn't have an all-star quality big man, something Melo knowns you need to win in this league.

Melo is clearly smarter than Bosh.