1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Georgetown area apartment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dcalvo, Aug 17, 2010.

1. dcalvo

dcalvo Member

I know there's a "Moving to DC" thread but this is about a more specific area so I figured a new thread would be best.

I'm going to Georgetown in the fall for grad school (Master's in Sports Management) and need a place to live for the next year at least. Ideally this would be a cheaper rental/apartment share although I know that's pretty hard to do in Georgetown. The problem here is that during the first 4 months I'm going to be interning for D.C. United in the city so I'll be heading out there 4-5 days a week too.

Can anyone:
    a) Give me some info on places to live in the Georgetown area (or alternatives that are between Georgetown and the city)?
    b) Let me know if I should take my car up there? I know there's public transportation but I'm not sure how long it would take between Georgetown and the city.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I really don't think it's worth it to have a car in Georgetown unless you plan on driving outside of the city a lot. On weekends Georgetown is pretty much a parking lot. By the time you drive somewhere and park you might as well have just walked and saved yourself the parking money.

There are two metro lines that are about 1.25 miles away depending on where in Georgetown you are. These two lines will get you anywhere you want to go. They have a dedicated bus that runs from Georgetown to the metro stops. However, many times I have just walked between Dupont and Georgetown. If you don't mind walking between 1-2 miles, you can really walk to get anywhere.

I'd also suggesting getting a bike. 1.) It's the easiest mode of transportation in DC 2.) There is a superb bike path network emanating from Georgetown that allows you to get almost anywhere.

3. dcalvo

dcalvo Member

Yeah that's what I've heard, the car was for getting to/from the city for the D.C. United job though. Are you saying I can get there using the metro or bus? How long does that generally take? I know it matters what the specific areas are but for argument's sake let's say from the metro station closest to Georgetown U to whatever the Metro closest to RFK Stadium is.

I already have a bike so it looks like I'll be moving that up there with me.

Thanks for your help.

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I hate you. I considered applying for the Sports management masters a couple of years ago but decided to just go to law school instead.
    Their sports management program looks top notch and some of the connections one can make through it look just wicked.
    Have fun with the DCU internship but brace yourself for the product on the field.