1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ric Bucher: Split between Melo and Denver Likely

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Sources: Carmelo Anthony likely to go

Email Print Comments1

By Ric Bucher

ESPN The Magazine

Archive
    All signs continue to point toward the eventual divorce between Carmelo Anthony and the Denver Nuggets.

League sources say it is now a matter of when, not if, Anthony and the Nuggets will go their separate ways.

Anthony

Anthony is weighing whether to sign a three-year, $65 million extension offered by the Nuggets. His dilemma, league sources say, is what affords him the best chance of continuing his career elsewhere. Anthony could sign with Denver and convince the team to then trade him. His other option would be to not sign the extension, thereby forcing the team to move him rather than risk losing him next summer as a free agent.

During his annual basketball camp in Colorado on Saturday, Anthony said he had no timetable on when he'll decide whether to sign the extension.

In either case, "he's going to make it real clear that he's not coming back," said one league source.

But both Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke and Anthony already are well aware that they don't have a future together, sources say. That became clear to Kroenke at a reception after Anthony's July 11 nuptials to La La Vasquez in Manhattan.

A series of toasts at the wedding reception, initiated by New Orleans Hornets guard Chris Paul, suggested Anthony leave Denver for the New York Knicks. Paul suggested it playfully, one source said, but subsequent guests -- including Knicks power forward Amare Stoudemire and Anthony's brother, Robert -- made the point more forcefully.

Then Kroenke stood up to give a toast and the room was filled with an awkward silence, one wedding guest said. Kroenke tried to make light of the situation by suggesting Paul could come to Denver but that elicited no response.

While Anthony stood and applauded Kroenke when he was recognized, he apparently did nothing to discourage or dismiss the suggestions that he should leave the Nuggets.

"There were other people saying, 'We're going to get you guys together,' but it doesn't become a runaway train if Melo says something," said one source. "Maybe he didn't perpetuate it, but tell people to stop or say, 'Stan, I'm sorry.' He didn't do any of that."

Paul has since met with Hornets' management and appears less eager to leave New Orleans, but all the signals from Anthony are that he would like to be in a different uniform this season.

Wedding signals included.

Anthony's agent, Leon Rose, could not be reached for comment and the Nuggets declined to comment.

Ric Bucher covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5468878

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Knowing Yao's health issues and the small window it causes, I would call the Nuggets and make them an offer. One year to go for it all and if it doesn't work, you get cap space that COULD be used next summer.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

we have the best assets to trade for him, but I wouldnt sacrifice too much to get him.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Goodbye, Ishmael Smith!

5. Prince

Prince Member

Goodbye Martin and Brooks. Hello Melo.

6. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Expiring contracts:

Shane and Jeffries

Young talent:

Lee, Patterson, Hill, and Brooks

Picks:

Plenty of picks...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be sweet irony if we can steal Carmelo while using the Knicks very own picks as bait....

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Hello, Goodbye.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That part about the toasts is very funny.

....honestly, I don't want to have anything to do with the Leon Rose/Maverick Carter/Wordwide Wes conglomerate. Those guys have outright extorted teams and I wouldn't feel safe having those guys in the ear of my star player. No thanks - more headache then it's worth. I promise you Rose is going to work the Mav Carter angle of trying to get Paul and Melo on the same team to be the foil to Miami.

9. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

give up your starting backcourt? I know we have capable backups but that would be dumb to give up two prominent starters for a guy who likely isnt to re-sign here next summer, that would not be a logical trade at all.. give up Battier, Jeffries, Hill mayb a NY pick, but not ur starting backcourt geez louise

10. eeeZZY

eeeZZY Member

i just hope we don't give up brooks or marting if we go for melo.

11. H-Town Rockets Guy

Only way I would trade for Carmelo Anthony is if he agrees to sign an extension with Rockets. Otherwise we will lose our expirings, yound players, and picks for nothing. We don't need a one year rental player. He will be a great go to guy on offense. I am getting too excited of a line up with Carmelo, Yao, Scola, Martin, and Brooks. That team has a potential to outscore any team including the one in Miami in my opinion.

12. blackistan

blackistan Member

Don't get too excited we thought the same thing about bosh..no superstars want to play in houston

13. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

I think that's incorrect. I don't think Houston is a problem. We have a good team, good management, no state income tax. I think this reputation about stars not wanting Houston is flawed. First off, Bosh wasn't going to come because he wanted to keep his thumbs up LeBron and Wade's a@@es and piggyback, even if he did have to accept a pay-cut. Second, we weren't going to get stars to agree to sign and trades on a team who's current star missed the entire year b/c of foot issues and who's had them before. Yao has to prove himself more durable and then we will get more interest from players.

But the argument that NO STAR PLAYERS want to come to Houston is inaccurate. Chicago missed out on LeBron and Wade, do people say no one wants to come to Chicago? Yeah they got Boozer, but he was going for the highest paycheck and wanted to get out of Utah. New York, they missed out on Wade and LeBron and got one dimensional Amare and he wanted to go there b/c of Dantoni. We didn't have cap space, so we couldn't offer these guys deals without a sign and trade. We only wanted Bosh and as I said, he couldn't quite LeWade.

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

NOT A CHANCE IN HE.....!!
    NO MELO FOR THE ROCKETs!!!
    If the Rockets couldn't stand Ron Artest or Trevor Ariza they certainly would not want Melo!!
    Melo's character is in need of a severe make over and it will take the lifetimes work of a team of psychiatrists to lift him from the ghetto mentality to a new level of a sentient person, capable of contributing to our Houston Rockets.
    A perfect fit for New York- they should have him!!!! :p

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If he's willing to extend:
    Jeffries
    Budinger
    Martin
    Patterson
    Hill
    Both Knicks Picks
    (Rockets also take Al Harrington)

If he's not willing to commit:
    Jeffries
    Battier
    Hill
    Taylor
    Rockets 2012 pick

16. bongo33

bongo33 Member

I'd rather give away Martin than Brooks if a trade had to be made involving one of those 2. Who would you rather give away?

17. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I would rather part with Martin, but Denver would most likely rather want Brooks because of his contract and free agent status.

Anyways, if we give up Brooks, we better be getting Lawson in return.

18. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Why would the Nugs want Brooks? We have Chauncey and Lawson. PG is the one position we're not worried about right now.

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Knicks probable best offer:

Curry
    Gallinari
    Randolph
    $3M
    2nd rd pick

Half the league can top that.....but whether Anthony would extend with anyone else is the giant question mark, and who might trade for him without that assurance is also an unknown.

I still think Cuban will make a push, even as a rental (Chandler, Butler, 1st rounder).

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Yeah I would throw something with a SF & SG combination at Denver, they have no need at Center or Point Guard, there two strongest positions, maybe a PF for the future since K Mart is getting up there in age.

But AB or Lowry would not entice anyone on the Nuggets brass.