1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Twitter] Anyone else think "Follow Friday" is dumb?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rasselas, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

[Warning: If you're not on Twitter, this thread will make no sense.]

Hey,

I hate Follow Friday. It kinda sucks balls. It started out as a good idea, but it's become spam. It's my pet peeve.

So I decided to do something about it.

This morning, I just launched the website End Follow Friday

Here's the start of my little manifesto:

(Whole thing here: End Follow Friday.)

Am I crazy? Do you guys agree? If so, feel free to tweet it out (boy that phrase sounds dumb, too.)

Thanks--

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I support you. I think Follow Friday is one of the dumbest things I've seen on the internets.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not on twitter and this makes no sense.

4. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

You act like twitter is making you do that. It's an option. Make your page private. Problem solved.
    [​IMG]

5. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

It doesn't bother me at all. It takes a minute at most to check Tweets I missed, and only a split second to skim past the ones with #FF in them. And there aren't a lot of them to start with from the people I follow.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I'm not on twitter, either, but I find it odd that even though he says "[if you're not on twitter, this will make no sense]" and yet goes on to explain what "FF" is (in the self-quote). :grin:

7. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I still use FF for it's original intent. I'll generally do 1-2, unless there's something going on (World Cup) where I think a group of people should be included, but I still keep it to one tweet.

Along the lines of

#FF #WorldCup @person1 @person2 @person3 @person4 @person5

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

In general twitter sucks

9. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Agree that in general Twitter sucks. I joined very grudgingly, but after a while, if not abused, you can have fun with it.

SwoLy-D - Ha! Excellent point.

eveluvsrox -- True, no one is forced to do it. But there are people who I follow -- and like -- who abuse #FF and clutter up the streams. I agree that they have every right to do this, and no one's forcing me to follow them. But I've seen so many people just go through the motions of #FF, thinking that they kinda have to, that it creates this spammy atmosphere.

professorjay -- You're right, it's not really a huge time sink. It's not like my life, or anyone's life, is actually materially affected by this. It's a silly and puny issue. But it also seems like the height of Twitter absurdity, and I wanted to call the trend to task.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I thought it was great when I first joined twitter... helped me find a lot of my friends and friends of friends... and celebs who were part of my favorite shows.

now it's not as cool, but then not everyone has been on twitter as long as I have.

11. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Wow you've got me beat by a full 13 months! And I've been on twitter over 2 years now

12. junglerules

junglerules Member

Could not disagree more....I think it's a fast and effective way to get sports info/updates from my favorite reporters and columnists on the go. Then again, maybe it's all in how one uses it. I am much much much more of a twitter consumer than producer, and I don't see any reason to change that.

13. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I wasn't quite on the first wave of people, but I was on the beginning of the second ;)

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well I think it's pointless because I never look at the #FF tweets. I just scroll up.