1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Martin just become expendable?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jedicro, Aug 11, 2010.

1. killakim

killakim Member

I think we're all forgetting injuries.
    You don't get back up solely for filling in the extra minutes
    but you get a backup in case your starter gets injured.

Kevin Martin will most likely get injured, thus Courtney Lee.

2. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

You know, when you put it that way.. HELL NO!

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I dont know if martin is on the block,but there is now a log jam at the 2. Think about martin playing 35 mins a night and brooks playing 35. Now brooks used to get about 10 mins a night at sg with lowry running point. Before the martin trade,adelman had to play brooks with lowry for explosiveness and scoring. Now that lee is here and lowry just got paid,how do the sg minutes get divided up? I'm pretty sure another move is coming.

4. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Martin is not gonna play 35 minutes a night. I think we got Lee for the same reason we got Miller, to reduce the minutes of Yao and Martin so they won't get injured. Expect Lee to see alot of minutes on the floor.

Also, I think a Lowry-Lee combo is a deadly defensive backcourt a sharp contrast to a Martin-Brooks backcourt which is strictly an offensive force.

I think a deal is likely, but not gonna involve any of our guards.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think morey is collecting players to mix and match in a trade. There are a lot of alike pieces on this team in terms of ceilings and talent. There is a huge difference between playing a 300lbs player with foot problems vs a guy like martin who gets nicked alot. Martin will play 35 mins and this trade has zero to do with reducing martins minutes. They need to clean up the roster.

6. brosef

brosef Member

co signed.

7. acefan18

acefan18 Member

This would be an amazing trade!

8. jerrios

jerrios Member

Has kevin martin ever made the allstar game?

9. onesidezero512

I disagree as much of an asset he is to the league and to China and all the media we get from him... his injuries are almost an exact mirror of T-Mac's. And getting rid of him at mid season would be our best option... If he plays well would you take a player like 'Melo' at mid season for for a banged up Yao? I would... And WHY NOT http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=27q44ey

10. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

Why can't you just decrease Battier's minutes to increase Bud's? For instance, Battier could play 25 (maybe closer to 30 if we are in need of further wing defense) and Bud play 23 SOLELY at the 3? That seems to make sense. Then you could have Martin play 30-35, Lee play roughly 13-18 minutes, Brooks play 30 (26-27 of which would be at the PG, the other 3-4 at the SG), and then 18 minutes for Lowry.

11. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

dont be surprised if he's on the bench for ASG2011 because of the added exposure he will get being on a relatively big-market team (ie one that gets nat'l media coverage and typically is in the playoffs).

12. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

It's more likely that they will use Lee against the bigger more athletic guard point guards, since while Lowry is good against many, he still gets abused by guys like Williams and Rose, the same as Brooks.

I don't expect Lee to start, but having the option is better then nothing.

13. Cakewalk

Cakewalk Member

Due to this five words minimum limit I had to type all these but I just wanted to say: NO

14. Guru

Guru Member

In short - the Chinese votes will get him in. :grin:

15. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I´d say everyone is expandable now - if the deal makes sense. We are 2 deep now on every position (perhaps not on PF), and all of these guys can play. So you can take one from any position away, if you land us a superstar it will make the team better, without creating a big hole at another position.

Oh and by the way, did Lee play some PG as well or did I imagine that?

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If Denver got Taylor in the deal, they could combine him with JR Smith and have 2/3rds of a brain between them.

;)

DD

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

lee is NOT and adequate replacement for martin. he can't pop 40 points when he's on fire, or 20 points on a consistent basis with the best defender on him.

letting ariza go and getting lee was a money issue. it was just a bonus that lee is a good player and not a scrub/throw-in.

but martin is going to be here for a long time, unless he is packaged for a superstar. but i think more teams are interested in aaron brooks.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape when the idea of trading Kevin Martin pops up.

No, it isn't entirely likely, given his history with Rick Adelman, but if he were dealt away and we received in return, say, an Iguodala (I won't presume to trade for Melo or Granger), then you'd have to consider it.

(I keep mentioning Iguodala because I think we have more need of Iggy's defense and overall minutes played than Kevin Martin's scoring, which we already have, and injuries, which God knows we already have.)

Again, not entiiiiirely likely, but only Yao is untouchable.

19. alethios

alethios Member

No, but Taylor's status got more murky.

20. Danbury

Danbury Member

Everyone is expendable for the right price, but I think you're right, Martin is alot more expendable today than he was two days ago. Lee has shown he can start in this league, so if Martin is the piece needed to pick up a superstar, Morey won't hesitate to part ways with him.